Hearing lyrics...... or not...

Friesiansam

Lyrics usually do little for me.

I have a condition called , auditory processing disorder (APD), which means I have difficulty understanding speech, including singing, if there is other noise, such as singing over musical backing and, it also makes it difficult for me understand other accents. It also causes problems for me when watching the TV. It's not a problem with my ears, I still hear all the sounds but, a problem with how my brain processes voices.

Doesn't stop me enjoying music, just got no idea what they're singing about...

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site

I have a condition called , auditory processing disorder (APD), which means I have difficulty understanding speech, including singing, if there is other noise, such as singing over musical backing and, it also makes it difficult for me understand other accents. It also causes problems for me when watching the TV. It's not a problem with my ears, I still hear all the sounds but, a problem with how my brain processes voices.

Thank you for bringing light to this condition, I didn't know it existed until now. Music touches the soul, you don't need words.

Usually takes me a minute or two to latch on to strong accents...especially Scottish!

My hearing has changed over the last few years, which it will likely naturally do anyway, but since I've started listening to the ambient part of music and other things other than what's just presented in front of you (if you know what I mean), I've found myself hearing more of the ambient noise in everyday surroundings, it's like it sticks out to me more now, and that can cause issues for me hearing people in noisy places. My previous workplace had a reception area which was quite reflective, and trying to focus on someone talking in there was really hard, as I found myself hearing the reflected sounds more so than the direct sound. And if they were Scottish there was zero chance... :ROFLMAO:

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site

Very interesting; thanks for sharing. There are some apps or streaming services that show lyrics on the screen, sometimes scrolling. I'm curious whether this works for you or improves your listening experiences?

Also, I especially listen to jazz and classical which are heavily instrumental. Has this condition influenced your music tastes, although I suppose you might have developed your tastes prior to the development of APD for you?

It's wonderful that are still able to enjoy music! Thanks again.

Reactions: Revolutions

Friesiansam

Very interesting; thanks for sharing. There are some apps or streaming services that show lyrics on the screen, sometimes scrolling. I'm curious whether this works for you or improves your listening experiences?

Also, I especially listen to jazz and classical which are heavily instrumental. Has this condition influenced your music tastes, although I suppose you might have developed your tastes prior to the development of APD for you?

It's wonderful that are still able to enjoy music! Thanks again.
I’ve had this problem, most of the time without knowing I had a recognised condition, at least since my late teens and, am 60 this week, I’m well used to it…

It doesn’t affect what I listen to and, doesn’t reduce the pleasure from listening. It’s very far from the worst thing in the world.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Usually takes me a minute or two to latch on to strong accents...especially Scottish!

My hearing has changed over the last few years, which it will likely naturally do anyway, but since I've started listening to the ambient part of music and other things other than what's just presented in front of you (if you know what I mean), I've found myself hearing more of the ambient noise in everyday surroundings, it's like it sticks out to me more now, and that can cause issues for me hearing people in noisy places. My previous workplace had a reception area which was quite reflective, and trying to focus on someone talking in there was really hard, as I found myself hearing the reflected sounds more so than the direct sound. And if they were Scottish there was zero chance... :ROFLMAO:
Back in the day when I was a lad, I was studying in Newcastle. It was very difficult for a southerner like me to understand Geordie. Well, it took me two years to finally crack the code.

Howay Man, Divvin' No' , Propa, Owa, Neet, Nee, Dee, Gan.

Funny if you were from the area but Middle Class, you still spoke like a southerner.
Fish N Chips, Newcastle Brown Ale, Julie's Night Club and floating condoms on shores of Whitney Bay (just when you thought it was safe to go into the water), ah really miss the place :)

1720459344653.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Revolutions

ianrjones

Aug 31, 2023
Visit site
In my own little world, I remember listening to the family DANSETTE record player. It was famously "ploughing" away at my elder brothers records. And the lyrics simply disolved into the rest of the backround noise. I didn't think lyrics were very important, as I could not make them out.
Now I am collecting those old records, and listening to them on my headphones. I wonder if OP can hear a difference when listening on cans. After all, I suffer with bouts of depression, but laugh out loud when watching HIGNFY.
P.S. I was a fan of Sigur ros.

Friesiansam

In my own little world, I remember listening to the family DANSETTE record player. It was famously "ploughing" away at my elder brothers records. And the lyrics simply disolved into the rest of the backround noise. I didn't think lyrics were very important, as I could not make them out.
Now I am collecting those old records, and listening to them on my headphones. I wonder if OP can hear a difference when listening on cans. After all, I suffer with bouts of depression, but laugh out loud when watching HIGNFY.
P.S. I was a fan of Sigur ros.
I always listen on headphones (see my signature for what I have), it’s nothing to do with my ears, APD is a problem with how the brain processes the information coming from the ears.

As for depression and laughing, I'm in the same boat, I know how it is.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for this. Although I can her lyrics I do listen to a lot of music where the lyrics aren't in English. This does not mean I enjoy it less as the vocal becomes another instrument and sometimes actually ads to it as I am not trying to listen to the lyrics separately from the rest of the music.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts