Headphones recommendation

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone, it's pretty tough researching what headphones to get. I already have some Audio Technica M50's which are awesome. But they are huge and not ideal to bring on the train and listen to in the office.

What I want are some great sounding headphones that are comfortable and not huge. I was considering getting the BOSE AE2 because they are comfortable, small and have pretty decent sound quality. I heard however that they are overpriced and I could get something better for the same price.

Budget - £150~

Comfortable

Great sound quality

Not huge, can wear them on the train and in the office without drawing attention.

Do you guys know anything that fits this specification? Thanks a lot guys :)

PS, is it me or the Monster beats really don't sound that great?

darrenconnor4

May 2, 2009
Visit site
I've been on this same search for a while now and all my research led me to either the ATH-ES55 or the AKG-450. I listened to the ATH the other week and wasn't that impressed which pretty much made up my mind. Now I'm just waiting for richer sounds to get the 450 back in stock as their price is ridiculously cheaper than anywhere else.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I think you just made a perfect description of the VModa M80/V80. Small, comfortable, good isolation, good looks, extremely well built, fantastic and very smooth sound, etc. etc.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
dalethorn said:
I think you just made a perfect description of the VModa M80/V80. Small, comfortable, good isolation, good looks, extremely well built, fantastic and very smooth sound, etc. etc.

I am a month into the same search and haven't yet taken the plunge. The M80's look appealing but how are they for rock?

My other considerations, which also need to be good for rock are:

AKG Q460

Soundmagic P30

Sennheiser HD201

Audio Technica ATH-ES7

If anyone has a view on any of them also that would be great.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I think the M80 is great for rock - it has 40mm drivers, but the driver has subassemblies that help keep the bass quality up much like a woofer and tweeter combination in speakers. The high end of the M80 is also great and is not prone to harshness like so many of even the better headphones are, yet the clarity and detail is great.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
After just getting some M-80's I definitely agree with Dale. They feel like a great all-rounder (genre-wise) but I would say they are especialy good for rock. I was shocked that they also love soundtracks/classical too. Such a star headphone!! The power and poise they have feels odd them being so small and the carry case they come with is excelent.

I had a couple cable woes with them (as did Dale for different reasons) but my only real concerns for the OP would be comfort for long periods (as they are fairly small and exert quite a bit of pressure to get the isolation) and they are over the OP's budget but only by a smidge so maybe that's not too bad.

And oh yeah - in a nuts shell - beats suck real bad!! The popularity of beats you see on the street, that's what the V-Moda M80's actually deserve!

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I should mention too, that if there is ever a cable problem with the M80, any common stereo cord with miniplugs on both ends will work fine - one in the headphone and one in the music player. I even did a fun thing the other day with the M80, using a FiiO LOD cable - plugged the LOD end into the iPod Touch dock and the other end into the M80 - sounded great, but no volume control that way.

Paul.

I have a pair of OE2i, and I love them. Don't go anywhere without them. They are well built, fold up neatly in to a pocket and I can wear them all day if needs be. They are very low impedance, so you don't need to faff with headphone amps. Sound quality errs on the bassy side, but no where near as much as the beats or klipsch. If sure for the cash you could get a better sounding headphone, but for the real world they are tough to beat for the life:sound quality compromise.

(I saved about £40 by buying in the US mind you)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts