Headphones for drums

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

Question to those drummers that are using electronic drums(Roland or Yamaha). I have been using a wireless Philips headphones for my late night drumming session on my Yamaha DTXplorer. After a couple of years, the headphones now started to give cracking sound each time I hit my kick pedal. Plan to replace it with a new one that can handle the bass. Wireless if possible, wired if not.

Any suggestions?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Sorry. I have no experience of wireless headphones. I use my Grado SR125s with my TD8.

I put them on 'backwards' so the cables run down my back rather than down my front.

Sounds good to me, no negatives to report.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris,

Thanks. Read some reviews of it on e-bay USA since I will be ordering a few BD from there soon, might as well throw in the Grado's in the same order. Its selling at USD150.

A little bit concern of the jack type. It seems that it does not fit a regular MP3 unit. What actually is the size of jack of the Grado?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Standard jack for my 125s is the larger 6.4mm jack. The cable is quite short so I bought an official Grado extension cable, also with a 6,4mm connection.

Grado also do a 6.4mm to 3.5mm adaptor (about 6" long) if you need the smaller jack.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

If they are exclusively for drumming then I recommend the Goldring DR100. Very comfortable, with a great, deep sound. I use them on my TD6. You can spend more, but if they are only for drumming and not for listening to music, I think it's unneccessary. I got mine three years ago for £40.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
bretty:Hi, If they are exclusively for drumming then I recommend the Goldring DR100. Very comfortable, with a great, deep sound. I use them on my TD6. You can spend more, but if they are only for drumming and not for listening to music, I think it's unneccessary. I got mine three years ago for £40.

I'm inclined to agree. I wouldn't have bought my 125s solely for drum use, but now I have them, I wouldn't buy cheaper dedicated drum hedphones.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Another duplicate post.
emotion-42.gif

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
PJPro:Gonna what?

LOL! Didn't realise the duplicates had posted when the browser started getting screwy!!
emotion-10.gif

Have edited the duplicate posts to make more sense!

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
Gotta agree with Big Chris - I needed some new headphones a while back anyway and was blown away by Grado SR80s, but they also sound excellent with my TD12.

A

Anonymous

I'm sure the Grados are ok. but aren't they open backed?

I have found that sealed units are great for isolating pad noise if playing at lower levels.

Try some closed back Beyers.

I currently use a pair of AKG K271, which have a nice feature of cutting the audio to the drivers when removed from your head.

They also have a removable/replaceable lead and are supplied with bith vinyl and velevet pads.

Although expensive good prices can be found and they will last.

I will add a condradictory note that my 'HiFi' Sehns sound great too!!!

Matt

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Eddy41:

I'm sure the Grados are ok. but aren't they open backed?

I have found that sealed units are great for isolating pad noise if playing at lower levels.

Try some closed back Beyers.

I currently use a pair of AKG K271, which have a nice feature of cutting the audio to the drivers when removed from your head.

They also have a removable/replaceable lead and are supplied with bith vinyl and velevet pads.

Although expensive good prices can be found and they will last.

I will add a condradictory note that my 'HiFi' Sehns sound great too!!!

Matt

Never had a problem with pad noise and my Grados. Maybe I have the volume cranked too high.
emotion-4.gif

chevvies

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Listening to an electronic drum kit is not the same as listening to a hi-fi, so I wouldn't advocate the use of a pair of open-backed phones such as the Grados, IMO you would be better of with Beyer DT100s, a flatter response phone more suited to a studio type application.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts