Headphones for a hard of hearing senior citizen tv viewer

daveyjay

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Well, the title says it all, really. My dad has expressed an interest in getting a pair of headphones that would enhance his enjoyment of watching off air movies, music (opera on BBC 4, for example) etc. He's pretty hard of hearing, so I'm thinking noise cancelling 'phones might be the way to go as one of the first things to deteriorate with age is the ability to pick out the sounds that we want to hear over and above any ambient noise. Also, I'm thinking it might be good to have individual left and right volume controls as my father's hearing is better in one ear than the other.

As far as sound per pound goes, I'm going to get more value for money with wired as opposed to wireless designs, right?

Oh, the tv is a late generation Sony CRT, I'm afraid.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions/recommendations.

Cheers.

idc

Individual volume controls are a thing of the 1970s/80s and you will find such headphones, lots of them, second hand on ebay. Search vintage headphones.

I do not know of any modern ones. I have noticed a hearing aid shop that sold Sennheisers and Philips headphones for TV watching (dont know the models but they were both about £75). They were closed backed and over ear. Noise reduction is not necessarily needed as closed backed over ear headphones form a natural barrier to outside noise.

You will, going by WHF reviews get better sound with wired, but wireless is going to be more convenient for him and others in the room.

daveyjay

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, idc.

70s/80s - didn't realise I was that far behind the times hah hah! Not sure I like the idea of second hand 'phones (and I know my dad wouldn't). Didn't think of going the hearing aid shop route - I'll look for a shop in my locale.

Thanks again, idc.

A

Anonymous

From Sennheiser wireless headphones RS 180 model has balance control, or older model RS 140 also equipped with balance control and switchable compression for better speech intelligibility. Or there is RS 145 model wich is listed under assistive listening models. Anyway, that will be useful to check sennheiser home page before go to shop.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts