Headphones for a Basshead

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I've decided that maybe I want in my collection a headphone some thumping, rumbling, visceral bass for the basshead in me.

BudgetnI guess I'd like to aim for the equivalane of 100-150 pounds. The problem I find when seeking bass in a headphone is that it brings a myriad of problems, like drowing out the mids, making the cans sound too warm, the mid and treble being ignored and all focus being just on the bass.

Am I asking too much on a budget, or are there cans lower down the chain that can give me thumping bass while maintining decent clarity and openness in the mids and highs?

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Getting stronger bass without mids interference is a problem at any price. But lower price means that the only solution (low bass boost) is likely to be muddy unless the drivers are excellent and aren't pushed beyond their limits. The ATH M50 series is a place to start, with a good low bass already, and some room to boost it.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
spiny norman said:
ID. said:
Am I asking too much on a budget, or are there cans lower down the chain that can give me thumping bass while maintining decent clarity and openness in the mids and highs?
Haven't heard them myself, but if you can trust the review, these look like a possibility

The PJB H-850 looks a lot like the Beyerdynamic DTX501p, or Soundmagic P30. And those are very good headphones.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
spiny norman said:
ID. said:

Haven't heard them myself, but if you can trust the review, these look like a possibility

Ooh, interesting. Never heard of them but they are available on Amazon here in Japan and I can probably test them out at some pro music stores.

Cheers. Reviews are positive too,

Thanks for the suggestion of the M50. I've tested them out, and actually bought my ATH-A900X in preference to them. I find the ATH-A900X are pretty bassy, actually. At least as much as the M50, but overall the presentation is smoother and warmer. They provide a bit of visceral bass, but I have been wondering whether there's more. Possibly a completely pointless goal, as I suspect that chasing more (and better) bass may just lead to me sacrificing the other parts of the spectrum too much.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I think you should look at offerings from Reloop and AIAIAI. Used bt DJs and Producers all over the world, these brands have great, tight , deep bass, but the mids and treble also shine through.

The RHP-20 from Reloop or one of the AIAIAI TMA-1 range will suit perfectly I feel.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I used the TMA-1 Young Guru myself as I love dance music. But my background is hifi, so I must have headphones that work well on all levels.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
JoelSim said:
I think you should look at offerings from Reloop and AIAIAI. Used bt DJs and Producers all over the world, these brands have great, tight , deep bass, but the mids and treble also shine through.

The RHP-20 from Reloop or one of the AIAIAI TMA-1 range will suit perfectly I feel.
Cheers, although I didn't state it, I basically want a set for some my bass driven dance tunes and electronic music, but the audiophile in me isn't fully prepared to just go for all out bass over everything else (I'm looking at you Beats and Victor HA-SZ1000/2000).

The Young Gurus are a bit above my budget here and might be a bit harder to audition, although some of the other TMA-1 range might be doable. Anyway, my local electronics store seems to carry them (or maybe the Akihabara Branch will) so I can go test them out.

The Reloops are right around my budget, and I should be able to test them out somewhere too. Much appreciated.

Rimse

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
technics rp-dh1200 ,I could not stand that visceral bass,too much bass for me,sold it :rofl: :rofl: Anyway any headphones which frequency responce is from 5-30 or more will give that kind of bass

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Rimse said:
technics rp-dh1200 ,I could not stand that visceral bass,too much bass for me,sold it :rofl: :rofl: Anyway any headphones which frequency responce is from 5-30 or more will give that kind of bass
I've not noticed a corrilation between the start of the frequency response and potency of the upper bass (which is usually the characteristics bassheads are looking for)

I'd recommend the Denon D600, which is only just over £100 on Amazon at the moment, that's got some bass punch and is a really good price for the sound quality.

philspence12

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi there,

If you're looking for an affordable pair of earphones that deliver great bass I would definitely recommend the E1 wooden earphones by Acorn Audio. I've had them for a few months now and I think they're the best value for money earphones I've ever boughts. I used to have the Klipsche S4i but they just didn't do it for me. Check out the E1s on their website acornaudio.co.uk.

Hope this helps.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
JoelSim said:
Did you manage to audition any?
Not yet. Got caught up in work and some other stuff. Not sure when I'll get a chance to have alisten. I'll probably just be auditioning for a while yet (hopefully in the next week or 2) as I've just blown a good chunk of my discretionary spending on a pair of Adam A7X monitors for my home office.

Audiofilo

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
philspence12 said:
Hi there,

If you're looking for an affordable pair of earphones that deliver great bass I would definitely recommend the E1 wooden earphones by Acorn Audio. I've had them for a few months now and I think they're the best value for money earphones I've ever boughts. I used to have the Klipsche S4i but they just didn't do it for me. Check out the E1s on their website acornaudio.co.uk.

Hope this helps.

Hi there, any affiliation with Acorn Audio should be declared in your signature in order to be transparent. This is in the forum rules.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts