Headphone vs speaker frequency response

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Just wanting to understand how the frequency response spec of speakers and headphones, equate to actual sound heard.

I'm interested in buying the new b&w p3 series 2 headphone. I heard yhe original and was impressed with size of bass. I do understand they may not delve as deep as other headphones with larger drivers. Reviews so far seem very positive, but read one recent review which stated lacking bass depth. So I looked at specs. The headphones go down to 20Hz, but my Dynaudio speakers only go to 50Hz. So, doesn't this mean that the headphones will delve deeper than my speakers?

Cheers for help, in advance.

Matte

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
radiorog said:
Hi everyone,

Just wanting to understand how the frequency response spec of speakers and headphones, equate to actual sound heard.

I'm interested in buying the new b&w p3 series 2 headphone. I heard the original and was impressed with size of bass. I do understand they may not delve as deep as other headphones with larger drivers. Reviews so far seem very positive, but read one recent review which stated lacking bass depth. So I looked at specs. The headphones go down to 20Hz, but my Dynaudio speakers only go to 50Hz. So, doesn't this mean that the headphones will delve deeper than my speakers?

Cheers for help, in advance.

I think that's a good question from just looking at specs.

Firstly you would have to find at what level they are quoting the the frequency range to compare, most levels at their frequency extremities should be quoted at the -3dBlevel (half power) but some manufacturers are cute and quite -6dB.

So that would give you the response of the transducer under comparison

Then there are 'real world' effects such as the effect of direct injection of sound at close range to your ears and the effect of that on the head as a cavity. Thus lower levels may be heard clearer

Whereas A speaker has to be mounted correctly and is subject to the effects of the environment with some rooms reinforcing the bass response, and low frequencies can be felt, so even levels below the 3dB point could be accentuated by room effects which would extend the apparent bass response.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you can tell just from reading the stated frequency response figures. You'd want to see a graph, but measurements aren't often shown for for headphones.

I think there's also some variation because of the how everyone having a slightly different ear shape has. I think even head shape and size can effect how the cups fit and also vary frequency response.

http://www.innerfidelity.com often has measurements and some interesting discussion on taking earphone measurements, if you can be bothered delving into it

Some of my Audio Technica have good bass, but the people on forums seem to say they have good bass but poor deep bass. That's certainly not the case. No idea what they are comparing them to, but to me they are relatively bass heavy.

Trist your own ears. Try them out with some music with deep bass that you are familiar with and heat for yourself whether they work for you.

Headphone listening and listening through loudspeakers are totally different types of music replay and comparing bass depth,frequency response just isn't a fair comparison.I listen to both and they're are comprises to be had whatever you choose...but I do prefer the response from a proper loudspeaker myself.Do not get hung up on specs and let the listening speak for itself.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Headphones are notoriously difficult to measure, more so than speakers and the results will vary considerably depending on exactly how they're measured. For this reason it's best to take comparison graphs with a large pinch of salt.

Headphones will generally go much deeper than speakers.

A lot depends on headphone amplifier itself. Same headphones, but different integrated amplifiers with hadphone sockets and the sounds are of pretty opposite qualities. I totally dislike headphone amplifier of, i.e., great and popular Marantz PM6005/6 series. But check Cyrus out and you will be amazed by what a difference it does to the same set of headphones! It just makes you think you are dealing with another, better pair of cans. I wouldn't thus dismiss headphone amplifiers when assessing headphones

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Unless you regularly listen to pipe organ recitals, there’s so little usefully going on at extreme low frequencies that I wouldn’t get hung up about it. Producers and mastering engineers will normally roll-off anything below about 40Hz in any case.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts