Headphone Technologies and Sound Quality

dfalir

Oct 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi all,

once again I need your advise. I am looking to purchase headphones for my system. However the further I research the internet the more I end up confused as to what the differences are, regarding the sound quality. I read about Bluetooth headphones, that is said that they do not provide the best sound quality vs rf technology headphones vs infrared technology headphones. I need your opinion. Can you sort it out for me in terms of sound quality? Which ones should i go for?

Best Regards,

Dionisis

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

I think most of the experienced people here could give you the best advice if you can list your requirements more clearly. Do you need Bluetooth? If not then let's focus on wired headphones, as they'll be cheaper and sound better. Can you use open (non-isolating) headphones or do you require closed? Can you tolerate weight if it's distributed evenly with good soft padding? What are your most favorite genres of music (top 2)? How important is portability? What do you intend to plug the headphone into?

dfalir

Oct 17, 2007
Visit site
Dalethorn hi,

I think its clear to you by now why I need your help. So let me answer your question. The price range is max 200 pounds. I dont want to spend so much money obviously but if someone tell me, look by this headphones there are excellent then I will spend this amount. So what I am trying to say is that I am interested in getting the best sound quality in this price range. About bluetooth headphones, I read in several different articles around internet that they lack in sound quality compared to other technologies. I like bluetooth technology but as I said, I want the highest possible sound quality in this price range. Can I get this with bluetooth? If yes then bluetooth is excellent for me. Regarding the type of headphones that you ask me ( non isolating, closed or any other characteristics), I can not answer simply because I havent tried them and therfore I dont know. All that I can say is that if closed ear headphones have better sound quality (due for example, to isolation) then I would like this type of headphones. Also, I suppose, the lighter the better, but again, I am not going to argue a few grams if for example best sound comes from a model that is 30-50 grams heavier. I know that my answers are not much help, and this is one of the reasons that I seek advice. I have never used headphones before for hi-fi, except mobile phone music. Regarding the listening environment I can tell you this. I want the headphones for in-house use. I want to connect them to my Hi-Fi system and listen a bit more loud that I can with speakers, should i wish to do so. My system is, an Audio Analogue Puccini SE remote amplifier, and a Cambridge Audio Stream magic 6, (that is also a digital amplifier, i think). My music is all flac and 320kbs mp3's. I have no other source. my speakers are Monitor Audio Silver 4i. I listen to all kind of music, mostly pop some instrumental, and less classical music. I also dont know if I will need extra equipment to connect the headphones. And since I dont think I will be using them excessively I dont think I would mind the weight so much. Was I any help with this info?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi Dfalir. It's true that you won't get as good sound quality with bluetooth headphones.

For your music tastes and equipment I would suggest the Beyerdynamic DT880, the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 and the Musical Fidelity MF-200. These are all excellent headphones which I'm sure you will be very happy with. All are neutral in tone and will work perfectly well on their own with your system as long as you have a headphone socket.

dfalir

Oct 17, 2007
Visit site
Thank you very much Joel. I didn't make myself clear, and I apologize for this. I am after wireless headphones. I just dont know which of the wireless technologies sound better. For example do RF headphones sound better than bluetooth headphones? Can you also provide me with a couple of models that you consider the best in the requested price range from the RF technology and also from the Bluetooth technology, like you did for the wired headphones that you send mein your post above? OR do you think that if i go wireless then the best option is to look only for bluetooth headphones?

Thank you for your time and valuable feedback,

Dionisis

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi - Joel's suggestions are the only reasonable options within your budget, and they are great headphones (note to me: got to get the MF100 myself). But if you must have Bluetooth (or wireless) with good sound quality, which means something like the B&O H8, which people I know are highly recommending. The only wireless I know to recommend is the Sennheiser RS220.

dfalir

Oct 17, 2007
Visit site
Dalethorn hi again,

You got the point :) but I can afford to double my budget.... Can you suggest me best options around half the money that you proposed? For example B&O are 400 gbp similar are the RS220 as well.... I wish I could, but I cant spent that much on a pair of headphones. Cheaper (like 200 gbp cheaper :) ) suggestions pls?
For example, what do you think about the following
Sennheiser RS 180 Open Digital Wireless Over-Ear Headphone
Sennheiser RS185 Uncompressed Sound Wireless Headphones - that also say uncompressed audio (if that is an actual thing)
Sony MDRDS6500.CEK Digital Surround Headphones
Jabra Revo Wireless Bluetooth On-Ear Headphones with Mic - White (which are cheap)
Are any of them any good?

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
dfalir said:
Dalethorn hi again,

You got the point :) but I can afford to double my budget.... Can you suggest me best options around half the money that you proposed? For example B&O are 400 gbp similar are the RS220 as well.... I wish I could, but I cant spent that much on a pair of headphones. Cheaper (like 200 gbp cheaper :) ) suggestions pls?For example, what do you think about the followingSennheiser RS 180 Open Digital Wireless Over-Ear HeadphoneSennheiser RS185 Uncompressed Sound Wireless Headphones - that also say uncompressed audio (if that is an actual thing)Sony MDRDS6500.CEK Digital Surround HeadphonesJabra Revo Wireless Bluetooth On-Ear Headphones with Mic - White (which are cheap)Are any of them any good.

I can't recommend them for sound quality, but then, you might be satisfied by one of them. It's hard to know.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
The Klipsch Image One Bluetooth is a decent headphone. I personally would steer clear of wireless completely.

Dale, look out for the MF200 rather than 100. Not sure it's been released in the US yet though.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
I listened to the b&o h8 and imo wireless technology is not there yet.

If I would only listen indoors then I would go for an open backed wired headphone. Why? Because open backed means usually more open sounding, wireless costs extra money and wired is proven technology, so most bang for your buck. Basically you have to decide what takes priority: sound quality or wireless?

Do you have a headphone output on your amp or streamer? Edit2: yes you do. According to specs that is...

Edit: open backed headphones do leak sound, which is quite soft sounding but may be annoying other in the same room. Therefore closed back cans for outside use. And also because sound leaks in :)

TRENDING THREADS