Headphone set up...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As I do not have enough space in my bedroom for a full hi-fi set up I was thinking of going down the headphone route.

Would something like the Firestone Audio Fubar4, which seems to be a very good price at the moment, and Grado RS60i be a good starting point? Are the RS80i's worth the extra £20 or so?

Also, as it's going to be difficult to audition both products together, do you think the sound quality would better than that coming from my home cinema set-up (see below). I will be connecting the headphone amp to Macbook if that makes any difference?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

A

Anonymous

You need to hop over to another forum where you'll get loads of relevant advice. Not allowed to link here...but google for the part of your body headphone are worn on and the second half of 'hifi'!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice. I'll check out both those products and also have a look on the forum you mention.

Hopefully IDC can give me some views on the firestone stuff?

Are there any other headphones that are well regarded around the £100-150 price range?

idc

Hi 007. I have the Firestone DAC, but if you buy from Russ Andrews you do get a money back if not satisfied offer and their 25% off is still on the go. It is very well made, small and cute.

I definitely think the SR80s are worth the extra over the SR60s. Another can to consider is the Sennehiser HD595. They dont have the attack of the Grados nor the detail of (more expensive) AKGs, but they are a sweet listen, particularly for rock music.

A

Anonymous

Thanks IDC. After looking around at more reviews and opinions I think I'm going to go for the AKG K601, Fubar USB II DAC and the Cute Headphone amp. Then I have the option of adding the dedicated power supply at a later date. Does that sound reasonable?

Out of interest which AKG's do you have?

idc

007:

Then I have the option of adding the dedicated power supply at a later date. Does that sound reasonable?

That sounds very exciting and should you decide to go for it please post back re the Cute in particular. I think that the DAC does benefit from the Supplier. The soundstage and dynamics are greater, but detail and clarity remained the same when adding the Supplier.

007:

Out of interest which AKG's do you have?

I have the AKG K702s. After I bought them I saw that Russ Andrews sell the 701s, which are a different colour and the cable is not detachable (though at some expense they will re-cable them). I have bought enough RA stuff and been to the shop and listened to kit they have on display to feel confident that I share a liking of a similar sound to RA. It is also why I suspect that Firestone and AKG should match well. The K702s are my favourite cans by some margin. In particular the midrange and detail is fabulous.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts