Headphone recommendation, please.

I have a few Richer Sounds gift vouchers that needs to be used, so I was thinking about Grado SR 60i. As it seems everyone has grados, can you recommend another brand that will come close to the Grados, preferably in the same price bracket?

I currently have Sennheiser PX-100, so looking at better sound quality than them ideally and will match my Arcs.

Suggestions please.....

idc

PP, I have had a look through what is available at Richer Sounds and the Grados may be ubiqutous, but they are the best. Can you squeeze another £18 and get the SR80s? They dont get the same publicity as the SR60s, but when I auditioned both the SR80s were defintely better. PJPro also is on record that the far more expensive RS1s are not that much better than the SR80s.

The Senn HD595s are good, but for the money they are plasticy, made my ears sweat and the sound was good, but not inspiring. I hated the Beats, odd to wear, way too much emphasis on the bass which was pounding as opposed to musical and detailed. I dont know about the noise cancelling cans from Sennheiser and AKG. I dont think you would get a worthwhile upgrade from the PX100s with any of the other cans

Well got my SR60i's. Oh dear, not impressed - I don't know whether they need burning in or not, but they just seem restrained in many respects; lack a little bass punch; mid-range and treble sounds held back, except for strong symbols, and they seem spikey.

Have I dropped a biggie here or do I have to wait for a period to run in?

idc

If they sound that poor now no amount of running in will help. Can you get the SR80s instead? Restrained and held back are not descriptives I have ever associated with Grado.

idc:If they sound that poor now no amount of running in will help. Can you get the SR80s instead? Restrained and held back are not descriptives I have ever associated with Grado.

Just wondered whether they need an external headphone amp to make the most of them? They sound very good, but the Sennheisers sound a little better ((shrugging my shoulders here)).

Listened to them on the PC, played some Rainbow and Joe Jackson. No improvement.

To say i'm gutted is an understatement.....
emotion-6.gif

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
if it helps any, the headphone output on my old L.lll (this amp hasn't got one) was terrible, compared to the one in a beresford dac. might be worth trying a headphone amp.

idc

plastic penguin:

Just wondered whether they need an external headphone amp to make the most of them? They sound very good, but the Sennheisers sound a little better ((shrugging my shoulders here)).

If I put my PX200s into an ipod unamped they sound better than my SR80s unamped. Amp the ipod or plug either headphone into my X-CANS and the SR80s sound better. That would suggest the SR60s would benefit from a headphone amp. Neither will sound great straight from a PC as, in my experience with Dells, the sound out is not that great.

When you say the Senns sound better, in what way?

idc:plastic penguin:

If I put my PX200s into an ipod unamped they sound better than my SR80s unamped. Amp the ipod or plug either headphone into my X-CANS and the SR80s sound better. That would suggest the SR60s would benefit from a headphone amp. Neither will sound great straight from a PC as, in my experience with Dells, the sound out is not that great.

When you say the Senns sound better, in what way?

The PX-100's sounds a touch more punchy and overall has a bit more body to the sound. Although, the OH prefers the SR60's, she reckons they are better balanced and little easier on the ear.

Just spoken with RS, told him it lacks a bit of punch. He said it is because it isn't run in yet. The speaker cone inside the Grados is still stiff which doesn't allow the cone to move a freely as it should. He's advised me to leave them on for a few days, see if things inprove.

I also asked about a headphone pre-amp, he asked what system I have, he said it shouldn't need an external amp. My Arc, according to him should be good enough to make the Grados sing.....and so the question continues.

Can anyone throw any light on RS's claim? any addtional help would be appreciated.

idc

plastic penguin:

Just spoken with RS, told him it lacks a bit of punch. He said it is because it isn't run in yet. The speaker cone inside the Grados is still stiff which doesn't allow the cone to move a freely as it should. He's advised me to leave them on for a few days, see if things inprove.

My SR80s are now 8 years old and do bass that is bigger in everyway than my less than a year old PX200s. I cant particularly remember any great running in with the Grados and I definitely do not remember returning to them at any point and thinking, wow the sound has improved here. Fair enough leave them for a week and get as many hours on them as possible, but sorry, I have my doubts.

plastic penguin:

I also asked about a headphone pre-amp, he asked what system I have, he said it shouldn't need an external amp. My Arc, according to him should be good enough to make the Grados sing.....and so the question continues.

The Grados are easy to drive and I am sure that that is right. A headphone amp comes into its own for regular headphone listening and difficult to drive headphones.

idc:plastic penguin:

My SR80s are now 8 years old and do bass that is bigger in everyway than my less than a year old PX200s. I cant particularly remember any great running in with the Grados and I definitely do not remember returning to them at any point and thinking, wow the sound has improved here. Fair enough leave them for a week and get as many hours on them as possible, but sorry, I have my doubts.

plastic penguin:

The Grados are easy to drive and I am sure that that is right. A headphone amp comes into its own for regular headphone listening and difficult to drive headphones.

I'm not sure about the running in malarky, either. I'm a little naive with headphones due to the fact that these Grados are the first ones I've ever bought (even though I've being buying and listening to hi-fis for over 30 years). I'll let'em run for a few days and see whether there is any change.

A

Anonymous

I remember back in the day going from px100 to sr60's and was very pleased with the Grado's. I fondly remember the px100 when I first upgraded from the ipod headphones, however when I listen to them now they sound muddy and the bass is way over the top. All Grado's I have used don't really need an amp- I currently use RS1's and these are the best headphones I have ever heard straight from the ipod.

A

Anonymous

Stick with the run in. I have iGrados which have the same drivers as
the SR60's and, I think, SR80's. When I first got them they were quite
thin sounding but I left them playing for a few days and they changed
considerably. I don't know if its a particular trait of Grados that
they need a while to run in but I also have the SR325is cans which
sounded AWFULL when I first listened to them, then I heard they can
take up to hundreds of hrs to fully run in. Not had them running that long but they have also improved greatly.

Don't know how much the trebble will increase, my iGrados a bit light on the top end and when they ran in the bass became fuller which made them quite warm sounding, maybe the sturdier housing on yours will keep the bass tighter and keep them a bit brighter.

I dunno, just guessing. Still I think it's worth a little more patience before giving up on them.

A

Anonymous

best headphones I have ever owned were the Koss PRO 44A ... dont have them anymore as lost them (on the train)
emotion-6.gif

and have never hear the grado's or sennheisers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts