My thoughts on B&0 H6

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Wanted to share my thoughts about a recent impulse purchase of the B&O H6 due to a very good price on a colour that may be an acquired taste (£179 with free shipping) .

I have had varying experience with other headphones so I will make comparisons but I am aware that my memory may be a bit distorted over time, I have not made any direct comparisons.

The first thing I noticed was the smell of the leather which was very satisfying! The phones are light but the materials and finish are very good. Comfort as well is top notch, I think they are probably the most comfortable over ear headphones I have used. As I write I have been wearing them for almost 4 hours and it is almost like I am not wearing them. I don’t plan to wear them out and about that often but I think they would be very comfortable if I did. They also seem quite small and unobtrusive for an over ear headphone. B&O also offer a 3 year warranty which I thought was good.

In terms of sound please bear with me I am not brilliant at describing these things but will give it a go.

For closed back phones they feel quite open and airy, they cannot compare to things like the Grado sr80 or senn HD650 in this regard but they are as good as any closed back design I have heard. I would say the overall sound is balanced; bass not too pronounced, and the vocals push through the music well. Level of detail is also up there for me.

They seem to be able to handle well most of the music I have listened to so far. I think they may not be best suited to seriously bass heavy dance music or thrash metal but I think they would cope well with most genres. I tend to listen to electronica, indie, rock, folk with a bit of classical and blues every now and then and nothing has really tripped them up.

In terms of comparison to other headphones I would say detail levels are up there with Grados up to SR 325, for me the grados are a bit harsh in the treble until you start getting to the RS2 (which I loved when I tried them) which is a jump in money. I owned some HD650 for a while and I loved the sound and the H6 cannot quite compete but I got rid of the HD 650 as they were just not practical for my listening habits. Had very short listen to the B&W P5 and P7 and to me I much prefer the B&O H6. To me the P7 had too much of a pronounced bass and the P5 just seemed to suck the life out of the tracks I listened to. I didn’t get on with the Sennheiser Momentum over ears either but that may have been because I was comparing them to my HD650’s at the time.

Hope this is helpful, I plan on sticking with these and am happy (until the next itch needs scratching!)

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Your thoughts of these headphones are not too far removed from my own. I keep borrowing them from a guy at work and every time I do I love them even more. They're one of my favourites for sure and am trying to get my hands on a pair.

I assume the ones you got are the new blue limited edition ones, where did you get them from btw?

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Yeah I got the blue ones from home av direct via amazon. I have been quite suprised as I have not been a fan of the similar offerings from B&W and Sennheiser. I have also had a listen to some more bass heavy dnce music and they were better than expected with bass weight just about right for me.

D

Deleted member 2457

bay24 said:
gel said:
ElectroMan said:
From http://homeavdirect.co.uk/bang-olufsen-h6-limited-edition-by-ricarso-akn

(I've not used this website, this was the result of a Google search!)
Cheers! Just spotted too:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bang-Olufsen-Limited-Edition-Headphones-Blue/dp/...

Are you tempted?! I must say I am enjoying them more and more the longer I spend listening to them.
Yep, ordered and delivered! They are sounding fantastic. Really good, I like the blue too and they are comfy

D

Deleted member 2457

These are definitely the best pair of headphones I have tried for sure, and I have tried quite a few now. *dirol*

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Ha! I finally managed to pick some up in the latest sale (which seems to still be on). They came today and I absolutely love the sound, so nicely balanced and detailed. I'm amazed by the comfort too, they're so small and light considering how good they sound. The only problem is I gave them to the wife to try and she loves them so much she wants to keep them for herself o.0

They're one of the only headphones that doesn't sound meh on my Samsung phone (Note II), but they still sound better on an iPhone (4). I then plugged them directly into my Thinkpad Yoga and holly wow did it sound awful!! So I broke out the Ifi iDAC. I was expecting a difference here, but was astounded at just how much better the sound quality got. It went from bar far the worst (laptop) to by far the best (iDAC). A huge change like this seems to be a testament to a very well balanced and accurate sound reproduction. I didn't expect this from something with such a fashionable badge, something that looks like it's built for posing. I really think that the H6 deserves it's full asking price. A few headphones have come out in the last year or so that try to do style, sound and comfort well, but the H6 beats them all for me, especially in the sound department. They almost seem underpriced considering the badge so any reduction like this is really something. I for one am glad I could finally afford a pair, after many months of testing in shops and borrowing from friends.

I'm sorry this sounds like advertising (if you know my reviews hopefully you'll know I'm not influenced), but I'm genuinely inspired and excited to write about these. Since I'm not doing the reviews at the moment (for work reasons) you can call this a mini review.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Really glad you guys are enjoying them and you got the bargain price! I have been able to use them quite a lot with lots of different types if music and they sound great with everything! I am interested that you have found a significant difference with a better dac Quadpatch as I have been thinking about looking for a portable headamp or possibly a second hand vamp versa for my iphone if one comes up.

D

Deleted member 2457

More designs coming soon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LX8PNBO/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_r=0BM0AFTNP77GM52KAWC3&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455333147&pf_rd_i=468294

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
bay24 said:
Very swanky! Like the bronze ones but wouldn't pay an extra £150 for the paint job!

I was not aware that B&O charged more for any of these, i.e. more than the standard price for brown or black.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
dalethorn said:
bay24 said:
Very swanky! Like the bronze ones but wouldn't pay an extra £150 for the paint job!

I was not aware that B&O charged more for any of these, i.e. more than the standard price for brown or black.
They don't, but the blue Pepsi version is being sold off at £150 off retail at the moment, so if you can live with the colours they're an absolute bargain!

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
quadpatch said:
dalethorn said:
bay24 said:

They don't, but the blue Pepsi version is being sold off at £150 off retail at the moment, so if you can live with the colours they're an absolute bargain!

I wanted to clarify that B&O doesn't charge 'extra' for any of their headphones. Or looking at it another way, the 'extra' is already built in. The blue and the discount is highly unusual, but whatever the case, I'd buy the discount version if they painted it bright orange and purple. You know, turn the lights down.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
dalethorn said:
quadpatch said:
dalethorn said:
bay24 said:

I wanted to clarify that B&O doesn't charge 'extra' for any of their headphones. Or looking at it another way, the 'extra' is already built in. The blue and the discount is highly unusual, but whatever the case, I'd buy the discount version if they painted it bright orange and purple. You know, turn the lights down.

Apologies my comment was related to my situation as I got the Pepsi ones

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts