Headphone Impedence Question

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm a little confused on details regarding Headphone and Headphone Amplifier Impedence details and wondered if there was someone on here that could enlighten me to how it works?

I am thinking of buying a pair of either Denon AH-D2000 or 7000 Headphones which are rated at 25Ohm Impedence.

These will be partnered with either a Firestone Audio Fubar IV DAC or Chord Chordette Toucan. The Fubar is rated for headphones between 32 - 600 Ohm, cant find any details on the Toucan.

So the question is If I had the Denon's would they work with the Fubar and Toucan??

Am I right in thinking that if these both drive headphones at 50 Ohm they would easily drive a pair of 25 Ohm Headphones?

If not would adding a Headphone amplifier between the DAC and Denons sort the problem (I have a MF X-Can V2)?

Its all very confusing an obviously an expensive purchase to get wrong.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
They will drive the Denon's fine but I can't comment on how the pairings will sound.

I'm a little confused, though, as to why you would want to connect your headphone amp to the DAC when it already has a combined headphone amp. Not thought about just a stand alone DAC perhaps if you're happy with your current amp? Just have a ring round a few dealers to find DAC's to demo and take your amp and cans along to see how it works out.

I don't believe that impedance matching per se has ever been an issue for headphones. More important is the level matching, to ensure you have meaningful control (not just in a tiny range of the volume control) and sufficient maximum volume/level on you chosen source.

I'd never buy phones without hearing them on my own system, so you can satisfy yourself of these factors.

If Chord cannot tell you about matching then I'd have my doubts about the product, but knowing their reputation, I'm sure they can reassure you.

On your specific point 25 or 50 ohms is neither here nor there. It is not analogous to speakers at (say) 8 ohms versus 16 ohms. I remember selling early Sennheiser phones rated at 2,000 ohms IIRC which everyone feared wouldn't work with their amps because the popular alternative by Koss was described as 8 ohms, or some similarly small number. But they always worked fine.

caesar44

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I found the specs on the Toucan, but it doesnt show Ohm impedance?

Specifications

Frequency Response 20Hz – 200Kz
THD+N 0.06%
Dynamic Range 112dB
Digital Inputs (Switchable) 1 x USB ( B type )
1 x RCA Phone pair or XLR balanced pair
Outputs 2 X ¼ inch Headphone Jack Sockets
USB DAC 0.006%THD;44/48KHz, USB 2.0 Compliant
Power Supply 12V 3A 2.1mm connector. Centre Pin Positive.
100V – 240V 50/60Hz 1A wall adapter supplied
Dimensions (mm) 160 x 70 x 40mm (Width x Height x Depth)
Weight 0.4Kg

I have my doubts about its driving power.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts