headphone for spotify

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you will definitely hear a difference. Spotify is good sound quality and while both the DT990 and T90 will take full advantage, they still have different signatures, and one may sound brighter than the other. Edd of Noble Hifi who posts here often has some reviews on the Beyers, so be sure to google his review site.

mittfel

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
okay cool. how long will the lifetime on these headphones be if handled correctly (not throwing, dropped etc)? are we talking 1 year, 2-3 years or more?

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Alantiggger said:
Dale, are you the same fella whose notes I have read on Headfonia at all ? This is where I read all about the Goldring Headphones before purchasing. If so, wow mate, thx for lots of info

I have posted on Headfonia, as recently as an hour ago. Those guys are unique in this business, comparing a lot of gear with in-depth analysis that's good for learning, not just for selecting new gear.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
mittfel said:
okay cool. how long will the lifetime on these headphones be if handled correctly (not throwing, dropped etc)? are we talking 1 year, 2-3 years or more?

I don't know of any reason that these Beyer headphones should not last 20 years or more. I've had a couple of their headphones that long. They are a manufacturer of the highest quality items in this business, along with Sennheiser.

Edit: Earpads are subject to wear, so figure on replacing those in one to several years, depending on the amount of use and whether any body oils are absorbed into the pads.

mittfel

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
dalethorn said:
mittfel said:

I don't know of any reason that these Beyer headphones should not last 20 years or more. I've had a couple of their headphones that long. They are a manufacturer of the highest quality items in this business, along with Sennheiser.

Edit: Earpads are subject to wear, so figure on replacing those in one to several years, depending on the amount of use and whether any body oils are absorbed into the pads.
Interesting. But if I buy the T90, I will have to buy a amp, right? Will it have to be expensive to provide good quality that the T90 can reach or will it be under €100-125? Not sure if the amps are similar to the headphones when it comes to different amps are made for different genres but if so, which one should I take a look at the most? I like drum 'n bass, metal and electro + some deeper stuff, but mostly those 3. :)

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
mittfel said:
Interesting. But if I buy the T90, I will have to buy a amp, right? Will it have to be expensive to provide good quality that the T90 can reach or will it be under €100-125? Not sure if the amps are similar to the headphones when it comes to different amps are made for different genres but if so, which one should I take a look at the most? I like drum 'n bass, metal and electro + some deeper stuff, but mostly those 3. :)

Here's an example of desktop DACs and amps. My feeling is, if your computer isn't powerful enough to drive the headphone, these amps will provide the extra boost. I don't generally recommend a headphone amp without a DAC.

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/dacs-ct-57_126.html?sort=3d

mittfel

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
dalethorn said:
Here's an example of desktop DACs and amps. My feeling is, if your computer isn't powerful enough to drive the headphone, these amps will provide the extra boost. I don't generally recommend a headphone amp without a DAC.

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/dacs-ct-57_126.html?sort=3d
been hearing a lot of good stuff from the Fiio amps but I'm not sure which one to go for. The E17 seems very expensive compared to the others like the E10 for example. Is it that much better though? My computer has nothing for the moment. I got 820W to it so it should be able to produce enough power, right? Also, the E17 seems to have a lot of features which is probably not my cup of tea. I want something simple but yet offering great quality. Too bad the E12 isin't anywhere to be found on the market in my country. It looks really solid and easy for use.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
mittfel said:
My computer has nothing for the moment. I got 820W to it so it should be able to produce enough power, right?

Your computers power supply has got nothing at all to do with the output power of the headphone socket.

mittfel

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
pauln said:
mittfel said:
My computer has nothing for the moment. I got 820W to it so it should be able to produce enough power, right?

Your computers power supply has got nothing at all to do with the output power of the headphone socket.
isin't ohm about electricity? oh well anyways, i've been looking around and i've found out about Fiio E12 which seems to be really good in performance. Also only €100 which is really good imo. But before ordering it, what kind of cables do i need so that i don't have to order any more cables after this. :)

I guess I will plug in the 3.5mm headphone cable into the amp and then a 3.5mm cable from the amp to the sound card in my computer? is that everything?

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
mittfel said:
pauln said:
mittfel said:

isin't ohm about electricity? oh well anyways, i've been looking around and i've found out about Fiio E12 which seems to be really good in performance. Also only €100 which is really good imo. But before ordering it, what kind of cables do i need so that i don't have to order any more cables after this. :)

I guess I will plug in the 3.5mm headphone cable into the amp and then a 3.5mm cable from the amp to the sound card in my computer? is that everything?

The analog sound coming off your sound card is already compromised, and adding another analog amp and cable will reduce the quality further. You would be much better off bypassing all of that and getting the digital transmission from the USB, and feed that to a DAC-plus-headphone amp.

mittfel

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
don't know much about these stuff, are you saying that I shouldn't buy a sound card and instead go with a headphone amp with a USB connector for better quality? hm, so in your oppinion i will get more quality coming out of my headphones if i just buy myself a Fiio amp than buying a sound card with it? been thinking about getting the Fiio E12 from ebay for around €90.

link to the ebay page of E12: http://viewitem.eim.ebay.se/FiiO-E12-Mont-Blanc-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-FREE-UK-POSTAGE/300891729931/item

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
mittfel said:
don't know much about these stuff, are you saying that I shouldn't buy a sound card and instead go with a headphone amp with a USB connector for better quality? hm, so in your oppinion i will get more quality coming out of my headphones if i just buy myself a Fiio amp than buying a sound card with it? been thinking about getting the Fiio E12 from ebay for around €90.

link to the ebay page of E12: http://viewitem.eim.ebay.se/FiiO-E12-Mont-Blanc-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-FREE-UK-POSTAGE/300891729931/item

As it seems you don't already have a sound card, you'll get better performance by getting an external usb dac/amp instead. The one you link to is not a combined dac & amp, just an amp; the usb port is only for charging purposes. If you want a Fiio then look at the E7 or E17, they are both combined dac/amps.

Pete68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
mittfel said:

I have had my sennheiser hd 25s for 15 years - they're knackered now but I would expect any decent set of cans to last a good few years if you look after them

mittfel

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
pauln said:
mittfel said:

As it seems you don't already have a sound card, you'll get better performance by getting an external usb dac/amp instead. The one you link to is not a combined dac & amp, just an amp; the usb port is only for charging purposes. If you want a Fiio then look at the E7 or E17, they are both combined dac/amps.
i don't know anything about fiio i've just heard that they are "the best" when it comes to the price tag around €100 rofl. do you know any better? XD

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts