Headphone Bass

SeattleChris

Apr 15, 2021
Visit site
Became a headphone enthusiast this year. Used to think amp/speakers (with subs) was the only way to listen to hi-fi but thanks to some good equipment I now enjoy headphones almost as much. I'm a card-carrying bassaholic and feel deep, tight bass should be felt in your chest (listen to pop/rock). Most of my previous resistance to headphones was not feeling the bass.

I love the imaging of my headphones (Sennheiser HD660S2), but the bass is nowhere near what I like. I therefore use EQ APO to cut gain by -18db with the preamp and then boost bass by 16db below 80hz after a steep roll-on. My headphone amp has lots of good power so no perceivable bass distortion (I also don't listen too loud). With this EQ I hear enough bass that I can actually be lulled into thinking I'm listening to speakers with subs if I relax and drift off into the music.

I understand there are headphones out there with better bass than mine. With that said, am I insane about bass or do some of you also do this EQ for headphone bass?

Vincent Kars

am I insane about bass or do some of you also do this EQ for headphone bass?
Another one saying YES!.
If you are a bass head, Sennheiser is probably not the most lucky choice. Most of their models don't produce that much sub bass. (in)famous is of course Beats. One of their early models had a 10 dB bass boost at 100 Hz!

Taste is something we acquire. Today car stereo rules. Thundering bass, brilliant treble all at the expense of the mid range. This is also the sound signature of most consumer products. If you are young, this is what you know and like. You might train yourself to appreciate a more neutral response.
If you won't, have a look at planar magnetic headphones. They are often pretty bass heavy.

Being the owner of a HD800, I indeed use EQ. I lower the bass with -3 dB as I don't like a cello to sound like a double bass.....

SeattleChris

Apr 15, 2021
Visit site
Another one saying YES!.
If you are a bass head, Sennheiser is probably not the most lucky choice. Most of their models don't produce that much sub bass. (in)famous is of course Beats. One of their early models had a 10 dB bass boost at 100 Hz!

Taste is something we acquire. Today car stereo rules. Thundering bass, brilliant treble all at the expense of the mid range. This is also the sound signature of most consumer products. If you are young, this is what you know and like. You might train yourself to appreciate a more neutral response.
If you won't, have a look at planar magnetic headphones. They are often pretty bass heavy.

Being the owner of a HD800, I indeed use EQ. I lower the bass with -3 dB as I don't like a cello to sound like a double bass.....
Hi Vincent - Interesting comment about lowering bass so a cello sounds right...I can see the point!

I don't listen too loud so to some degree this is a "loudness" adjustment, but I listen to pop/rock almost exclusively so I still stand by my bass boost.

RobSys

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
My Klipsch Heritage HP-3 headphones have more than enough bass especially when driven by the iFi iDSD Signature DAC/Amp.

No need for any fancy EQ... (Overall a bit pricey though...!):)

Reactions: SeattleChris

SeattleChris

Apr 15, 2021
Visit site
Well, in the end at least half of my 16dB bass boost is needed just to correct my headphones up to a flat bass response. I'll tolerate that because the mid/treble imaging is so wonderful. A couple more dB are needed for "loudness" since I try not to listen too loud. The remainder is what I need for that illusion that I'm listening to subwoofers. Listened again last night and if I weren't able to boost the bass like this I probably wouldn't listen to headphones!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts