Headphone amp

filsgreen

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys

As I've alreadysaid in a previous post, I want to get into vinyl, but it will have to be in my log cabin type shed. It is only 11x8 and given that it is wood, I think the acoustics will be awful. Consequently , I'm thinking of using headphones obviously a top notch type. Could anyone recommend a headphone amp that I could connect a Pro-ject Carbon TT to?

Phil

filsgreen

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
As I cannot edit or delet the previous post; I would everyone to ignore my request as I've already resolved my hif requirements with Joel at Music to your ears. Thanks for looking anyway.

Phil

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
It was a 250 Ohm pair of beyerdynamic DT880 Premium headphones. A close call between those or either of the new Musical Fidelity MF-200 or Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7. Plus a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon TT. I think Phil will get a Marantz amp to go with them as the likelihood is that a CDP will also be joining the system at some point and maybe also some bookshelf speakers.

The Beyers will suit is acoustic music preferences down to the ground I should think.

filsgreen

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
After much deliberation between the Music fidelity Merlin system, which Joel recommended and some other set up; I chose the other set up, my decision was based on some factors that I can't disclose publicly, but Joel was aware of. Joel had already advised me to go to a local hifi dealer to listen to different amps/speakers and although at first I did not want to do this ; I thoought his advice was the correct way to go. I went to P & A audio, a locaL firm in Crosby; I bought my first hifi from them in 1978, a National Panasonic music centre
regular_smile.gif
Anyway to cut a long story short; I bought the Marantz 6005 amp, Q Acoustic 2020i speakers, Denon A520 CD player and a Project headphone box S amp plus Audioquest Evergreen phono leads. P & A gave me good quality speaker wire for free. I haven't set up the turntable yet due to space, but I have played several CD's, needless to say i am very pleased with the set up. I chose to spend a small amount on the speakers as they will be used as back ground monitors, I will be mainly using the headphones for my listening pleasure. Once again, thanks to Joel at Music to your ears and if anyone is local to P &A in Crosby, they're worth a shout for the personal touch. The salesman delivered to my home after he had finished work. In the future I may buy a phono pre amp, the salesman at P & A advised me to listen to my vinyl though the amp for a month or so and then come to the shop with my headphones and few cd's and try them with a pre amp to see if there was a difference. I was really pleased with his advice as he could have just made another sale. It goes to show, some shops are not just in it for the money.

Phil

TRENDING THREADS