Headphone amp needed

matthewpiano

I'm really enjoying my current system with only one problem - I have no headphone socket on either the amp or CD player. It is a good excuse to buy a dedicated headphone amp so I'm not too bothered, but I'm looking for recommendations.

I don't want anything to expensive and I'm leaning towards something from Creek but I'd like to hear any thoughts from those who are really into headphones. I've thought about looking for something used as another option - maybe Musical Fidelity? My headphones are Beyer Dynamic DT770PRO 250 Ohms, and Sennheiser HD595 and I like a really involving sound with good portrayal of instrumental character. I listen to a huge variety of music probably split 50% classical (including orchestral, instrumental, operatic, and chamber), 20% acoustic/folk, 20% rock/progressive rock, and 10% other stuff including jazz and music theatre, although I often use headphones for sitting quietly and listening to complete operas with the libretto in front of me.

matthewpiano

Graham_Thomas said:
Your budget Matthew? :)

I was initially thinking below £200, but I'm prepared to wait and save up for something if its worthwhile. I've just been looking at the Musical Fidelity M1 HPA which sounds interesting. Anything I buy now I want to be a long-term purchase. The other move I'm seriously considering is a decent DAC and the M1 DAC is pretty high on the list.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Mathewpiano,

Given your budget of 200 quid, I think the MF HPA does not fit that price bracket. However, if you can stretch your budget a bit more, the HPA is definitely worth considering. With Class A amplification, it does give a really warm and airy characteristics to the music. However, an audition should be done as I am not familar with the headphones you have.

Given that you are looking into a DAC as well in another thread, I suggest you to list down your digital sources, current and any future requirements. For current, I see you only have a CD player and Squezzebox, which the M1 DAC would be a good option, coupled with your choice of headphone amp.

caesar44

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
In your price range a Fiio E7/E9 combo? it is capable to drive your 250ohm headphones. Unless you want something more powerful such as the HA-160.

tomayresss

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to bump an old thread but I wondered matthew (if you're around) if you could share your opinions of listening to classical music on both the DT770 and HD595, especially the former?

I'm saving up to get my first pair of full-size phones and listen to a lot of classical music, but am worried that the 'usual suggestions' (AKG 5/701, Senn 650) will give me too much of a distant perspective and not enough bass. Obviously timbre accuracy is important but I want quite a front-row feel, preferably on the warmer side of things. I listen to a lot of string quartet music too and the direct sound from the bow making contact with the string and the core, resonsant sound is important (I get this to some extent with my Quad 11L setup).

Just wondering what your (or anyone else who has experience listening to classical music on both open and closed phones') opinions are?

Thanks

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The DT770's are a big no no for classical music IMO, they have over blown bass, and recessed mids. The Sennheiser HD-650 though are one of the best headphones available for Classical music. There is no shortage of bass and it is extremely well extended, from your description of what sound you like they would fit the bill, again only IMO and other opinions may vary.

tomayresss

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
eggontoast said:
The DT770's are a big no no for classical music IMO, they have over blown bass, and recessed mids. The Sennheiser HD-650 though are one of the best headphones available for Classical music. There is no shortage of bass and it is extremely well extended, from your description of what sound you like they would fit the bill, again only IMO and other opinions may vary.

I have never heard these headphones, but I heard some amped HD600s once and didn't take to them, I found them a little bit 'crisp' and cold and not very full bodied...if you've heard them, did you think there was a big difference between the 600s and the 650s?

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
tomayresss said:
I have never heard these headphones, but I heard some amped HD600s once and didn't take to them, I found them a little bit 'crisp' and cold and not very full bodied...if you've heard them, did you think there was a big difference between the 600s and the 650s?
The 650's and the 600's are completely different animals. The 600's are a brighter can and don't have the same extended bass response, I think it would be worth while you listening to the 650's from what you have said.

Crisp and cold are not how a pair of Sennheiser HD650's could be described.

cassper

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I have bought the other week Little Dot mkIII (tube amp) and I am running it with HD600, fed from Musical Fidelity V-DAC. Little Dot will set you back some 170GBP including delivery. Soundwise, all I can say is "headphone nirvana". This combination has been reported to have a very nice synergy and I can second that. I listen mostly to jazz, rock, prog, some metal. For example I never heard Talking Heads or Tool sound as well as on this combo. Sound is very rich yet detailed and transparent, with a huge soundstage. It is far from shy on both ends of freq responce, but not overpowering. I love this combo, to my ears it sounds fabulous and was well worth every penny (cent, eurocent, whatever:).

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
tomayresss said:
Sorry to bump an old thread but I wondered matthew (if you're around) if you could share your opinions of listening to classical music on both the DT770 and HD595, especially the former?

I'm saving up to get my first pair of full-size phones and listen to a lot of classical music, but am worried that the 'usual suggestions' (AKG 5/701, Senn 650) will give me too much of a distant perspective and not enough bass. Obviously timbre accuracy is important but I want quite a front-row feel, preferably on the warmer side of things. I listen to a lot of string quartet music too and the direct sound from the bow making contact with the string and the core, resonsant sound is important (I get this to some extent with my Quad 11L setup).

Just wondering what your (or anyone else who has experience listening to classical music on both open and closed phones') opinions are?

Thanks

"Front row and warmer side" sound like an exact description of my Grado PS-500, which is ideal for classical music. That's from a long-time headphone user who has the Grado and several others.

A

Anonymous

Any news on a purchase Matthew?
smiley-smile.gif

dalethorn - I think the Sennheiser would give you that sound. I've had HD600s and honestly prefer the sound of the HD202s for ~£23!

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Graham_Thomas said:
Any news on a purchase Matthew?
smiley-smile.gif

dalethorn - I think the Sennheiser would give you that sound. I've had HD600s and honestly prefer the sound of the HD202s for ~£23!

I've had the Senn 600 and compared to the Grado PS-500 it's a muffled sound. I haven't tried the 202's but I did audition some of the cheap Senn's at the Apple store and the sound quality was abysmal.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts