Headphone amp needed or not....

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I have a Cambridge 640 V2 amp and have just bought some grado sr60 headphones. I know the amp has a phones output, but is it worth getting a headphone amp for better sound, or will the amp output be good enough?

Also, if I do get an headphone amp, what one (less than £100) and what interconnect would I use....

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

Hello.

I have a pair of GradoSR60's and a pair of Alessandro MS1. The headphone amp I use is a QED MB 45, which I bought on ebay for £45, it is an excellent amp which is connected to the back of my Cambridge dab tuner. I would assume you connect the leads from the headphone amp into the back of any output of your amp that you are not using, I might be wrong but I am sure that another member would advise you on which output you would use as there are so many well informed people using this site. As I said the proformance of the QED is excellent and should fit your budget.

John Duncan

They go in the tape loop generally.......

But as for whether you need one or not, I can't say - do you have a dealer who can lend you one to try out? New, the Pro-Ject Head Box is a good place to start - s/h, I'd be looking for Creek or a Musical Fidelity X-Can (v2 is probably your limit, budget-wise).

A

Anonymous

I don't know of a dealer to try one, so might just take the plunge and go for it. I would prefer to have the best sound possible from the headphones, as the neighbours complain about me turning my stereo up (can't think why!).

Cheers,

Phil

A

Anonymous

I have an amp in a similar bracket to yours, namely the Marantz PM6002, and I'm running a pair of SR60s through a Pro-ject Headbox, as Mr Duncan mentions. To my ear, I get a modest improvement in sound over the headphone out on the amp, certainly not a dramatic one though. Whether or not you think that's worth an additional £70 or so is something only you can answer... let us know how you get on.

A

Anonymous

H Phil. I have just had a look on ebay for you and someone is offering the QED amp for auction here is the item number good luck

rtCurve.gif

s.gif

Ed

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts