Headphone amp neccessary?

gisgillen

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Evening all! A quick question. Thinking to buy Sennheiser HD660s`s. Second hand 300euros. Would they be fine with my Denon-DRA 700AE (80 watts per channel)? Would a headphone amp make so much difference? I hope not!!! Many thanks.

The watts per channel are irrelevant when it comes down to the quality of the headphone amplifier section of your Denon.
That's a good price, I am pretty sure they will be fine although having difficulty finding any efficiency specification for those headphones.

D

Deleted member 188533

The 660S will benefit from a good headphone amp but they aren't as dependent on one as the HD600 and HD650. I have no idea about the quality of the headphone out on your receiver but integrated like that is not generally great unless it's advertised as such.

gisgillen

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Hello again. One more question. I got the Sennheisers for 270 euros..not bad. Don`t have them yet but they`ll be posted on Monday. Been looking for fun at headphone amps. (not expensive). There is a Project Head Box II going for 50 euros. Would it be worth it? And if it would, could I plug it straight into the Denon headphone socket or should I use the Tape Out RCA phone connections at the back? Only disadvantage with the latter is that it`s tricky to get to!!
Again, thanks for your help and advice.

Hello again. One more question. I got the Sennheisers for 270 euros..not bad. Don`t have them yet but they`ll be posted on Monday. Been looking for fun at headphone amps. (not expensive). There is a Project Head Box II going for 50 euros. Would it be worth it? And if it would, could I plug it straight into the Denon headphone socket or should I use the Tape Out RCA phone connections at the back? Only disadvantage with the latter is that it`s tricky to get to!!
Again, thanks for your help and advice.
Not sure why you'd want to connect it to the headphone socket, even if you could and you cannot, as this will then be using the headphone amp section of the Denon
Tape out if you do get it but I wouldn't waste money if it turns out the socket on the Denon is sufficient for your needs.
Headphone amplifiers are normally positioned between the source and the amplifier as far as I am aware.

gisgillen

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for that. really helpful. I`ll give it a miss. I`m sure the headphone socket will be fine. I love this forum, really good advice, specially for the less technically knowledgeable among us!

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts