HDR, a massive difference?

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
i read up on hdr before it was released, promising to be groundbreaking technology for the new format. but now after watching 4k blu rays and tv shows in it for over 6 months i can't say it's not as good as i originally thought, i still love it and it's the best thing on the format depending on film but i probably wouldn't notice the difference between hdr and sdr if there was no bright highlights that sdr can't achieve.

i think to fully appreciate hdr i would need a side to side demo of hdr and sdr to see the difference.

since it's meant to provide full details in bright and dark areas of the image without clipping each other out i think it's great but most of the time i dont think to myself wow both the dark and bright parts of the image have equal detail only possible with hdr!

anyone had side to side demos in person of hdr/sdr? i want to try it but dont know where is possible.

D

Deleted member 2457

nugget2014 said:
i read up on hdr before it was released, promising to be groundbreaking technology for the new format. but now after watching 4k blu rays and tv shows in it for over 6 months i can't say it's not as good as i originally thought, i still love it and it's the best thing on the format depending on film but i probably wouldn't notice the difference between hdr and sdr if there was no bright highlights that sdr can't achieve.

i think to fully appreciate hdr i would need a side to side demo of hdr and sdr to see the difference.

since it's meant to provide full details in bright and dark areas of the image without clipping each other out i think it's great but most of the time i dont think to myself wow both the dark and bright parts of the image have equal detail only possible with hdr!

anyone had side to side demos in person of hdr/sdr? i want to try it but dont know where is possible.
I have just gone from selling my 4K Blu Ray player to buying again after I think getting used to 4K Blu Ray, but once it was gone I missed it. Even DVD is better and Blu Ray with the 4K Blu Ray player. The things I noticed that were different is that the blacks weren't as deep on the movies and the definition wasn't as a clear, and the picture wasn't as bright. I think the Samsung is a better 4K Blu Ray player than the Panasonic because I found the Panasonic a little false where the Samsung is more natural. Perhaps more is going on with the Panasonic but I didn't like what I saw. Perhaps you could try switching between a Blu Ray player and the 4K Samsung for a month or so with each player? You can pick up cheap good Blu Ray players. I think I just got used to it, but being without it and then going back I really noticed the difference again.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Haven't tried either 4K BDP myself yet as ( a) only the Samsung is on sale in the US until just before Thanksgiving (what a surprise) and (b) there aren't really enough non-blockbuster Spiderman vs. Frankie Goes to Hollywood type movies to justify the pruchase.

One of the things you have to get used to with higher resolution is, erm, higher resolution. It's the same as when we all switched from LPs to CDs in the 80s, or if you trade in your old valve amp for a highly detailed soild state system like a Cyrus. The newer devices can seem clinical, cold even, but when you try and go back....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts