HDMI issue when Changing TV channel

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just purchased a new Onkyo TX-NR818 receiver.
I have a satellite receiver (Sky HD) connected over HDMI to the Onkyo and then to a Samsung LED TV also over HDMI.
I have an issue when I change channels on the Sky box, the picture disappears and the TV displays a menu at the bottom of the screen. The menu stays on the screen until you press return on the remote (very annoying). This menu (generated by TV) allows you to change which source the TV is to use. So my guess is the TV thinks the HDMI signal is dropped briefly between the Onkyo and the TV.
This problem did not happen when the Sky box was directly connected to the TV.
It does not happen for every channel change. But it always non-HD channel to a HD channel (or vice versa) - needs to re-sync signal due to different resolution?

I tried playing with the options on the Onkyo to change the HDMI output.

I tried these options: passthrough, source, 1080p. All show the same issue.

Has anyone else seen this on a Onkyo receiver specifcally the 818?
Is this a generic Onkyo issue, an 818 issue or have I got a duff receiver? Or perhaps it's a Sky box issue?

Does this happen on any of the Denon receivers?

I contacted Samsung and Onkyo to see if they could assist. Samsung replied quickly and said it was not a TV problem but would pass my email to the firmware team.

Onkyo have not replied after 5 days. Very poor.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Try changing your Sky box to output at 1080i - link. This means the Sky box will upscale everything so it won't change resolution when switching from SD to HD channels. Bad news is, the Sky box probably isn't as good at upscaling as the TV meaning possibly the picture won't look as good on SD channels. Upside is it should get rid of your issue.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Without hyjacking would be useful to name & shame and praise the big guys support. Yamaha Logitech Mordaunt Short good. Seagate good efforts but need to work hard. etc. New thread? I recon its a tv issue as u suggest.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Will try that. I'm pretty sure I have it as 1080p at the moment. But I noted that on SD, the TV reports a 576p resolution.

Will see if 1080i makes any difference.

A

Anonymous

Excellent.

Setting the HDMI output to 1080i on the Sky box appears to have done the trick.

The quality of the SD channels was never fantastic anyway. So having the Sky box fo the upscale is probably not going to make a whole lot of difference.

Many Thanks

A

Anonymous

When u change from SD to HD, the sky box just send out another signal for the 1080i channel. when you see the drop in signal its then that its changing from 576p to 1080i. It has to do this in order to get 1080 for HD channels. like you have done, u have set the output resolution to 1080i so when you change channel it wont need to send out another signal.

thought id clear it up! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheers:

J.M.S

Feb 4, 2008
Visit site
I have a Samsung ES58000 linked to a Denon 3212 receiver and a Virgin Tivo box and I get exactly the same thing, my guess is it is the TV that is causing the problem not the reciever.

I havent found a way round this problem yet.

So I dont think your receiver is duff or the skybox is causing the problem.

Cheers

J.M.S

J.M.S

Feb 4, 2008
Visit site
Thanks to iHarpzZ.

Due to his reply I have managed to sort it.

Delving deep into the Denon and Tivo settings, i found a setting on the receiver that was stopping the Tivo from detecting 1080I or P

resolutions.

So sorry Samsung I take it back its not your fault :)

J.M.S

stevegwoods

Jan 14, 2008
Visit site
I've always set my SKY HD box to auto for output, and currently run it through an Onkyo NR 616 to my Panasonic 50 GT 50 without problems. I use a harmony 1 remote for control and have only had a problem when switching back to sky after a blu-ray when it occasionally prduces a green screen?

Bad news you have not had any Onkyo response though!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts