HDMI Cables - an old argument reborn - Sorry

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Sorry for bringing this up again and hopefully it will be the last time. I've just been reading a few threads on another forum where the argument about the difference between expensive and cheap HDMI cables was getting quite heated.

As I am a newbie I don't quite know where to sit on this one, so would appreciate some comments on the following interview with some HDMI licensing bloke found here http://www1.electronichouse.com/info/specials/hdmi_basics.html , in particular this comment

"Unlike analog, there is no such thing as an HDMI cable that makes the digital audio or video data come out better than another. If the 1s and 0s make it to the other end, the cable has done its job, period."

I have heard some explanations, epecially when considering long lengths, of why some are better, but would like to know when considering short lengths what your opinions are.

Is this HDMI guy that was interviewed in a position to give a definitive answer or could he be biased. Please note that I currently have no opinion on this matter.

A

Anonymous

As a relative newbie myself, I can't possibly add any useful reply. However the link was very informative. Hope you get your answers!

A

Anonymous

I'm no expert, but i'd question a few of the stements made in that linked interview...

I'd also love to hear some of the WHFS&V testers views on this..... Andrew? Put us right please.

I've just purchased a QED SR. I hope it was worth it!

A

Anonymous

This was taken from that linked article and it repeats what we've heard to a great extent:

As for cables, most home users will see no issues at all in 2-3 meter cables, regardless of the manufacturer. But in some applications, particularly 1080p signals and longer cable runs, we have seen differences in performance. Consumers should be sure that the cables they are buying are rated for their specific performance requirements (e.g. 1080p). Also, we recommend that consumers consider buying repeaters or some other active signal enhancer for longer length cable runs (typically those over 8-10 meters)

A

Anonymous

A digital signal is exactly that; 1 or 0. A cable cannot change the quality of the individual bits. It must however realiably transfer the data without corrupting the bit stream. Just about any cable should do that. Where cables can make the difference depends on the design of the equipment. A well screened cable will pick up less interferrence. If your equipment has paths (direct or not) from the digital input into the analogue paths then a poor cable could in theory impact the sound/image.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="aarw"]
I'd also love to hear some of the WHFS&V testers views on this..... Andrew? Put us right please.

[/quote]

I'm sure I've addressed these points before in these forums - have a search for HDMI cables and I am sure you'll unearth my comments, which I have to reiterate are strictly IMHO.

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
It would be good to get an opinion from one of the testers/reviewers that have rated the short cables for the magazine, at least they would have been in a position to compare multiple leads.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Right I did a little test for myself last night with 2 differnt HDMI cables both of 1m, they were a QED HDMI P and the basic one the came with the XBOX 360 ELITE. The signal source was My Denon DVD3930 to my Samsung PS50q97HDX.
Firstly the Xbox freebee, the colour was good as was in general the image but there were traces of fuzziness around objects and a slight lack of detail in dark sceens. Now onto the QED, The colour was possibly better tho not much in it but all traces of fuzziness were gone and detail was far greater in dark sceens.
Now I know this was not to technical a experiment but I have to go with what I see on screen and for me the £40 spent on the QED over the Freebee cable (worth about a tenner at a guess) is money well spent. Would be interested to try this again but with say a £100 cable also.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts