admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Interested in getting a better HDMI cable for my setup. Looked in the reviews and I'm down to the QED HDMI P or the Chord Supersheild HDMI.

They are both rated 5 starts, but the Chord is in the Best section for cables.

There is an offer here to get a discount on buying more than one of the QED cables:

http://www.hificables.co.uk/11632/Qed-NEW-Performance-HDMI-.html

This is very tempting as I could do with 2 cables.

Would I notice any difference in the picture / sound performance?

Thanks,

Ian

Zarn_Smith

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
What length cables are you looking for?

Personal opinion... If it is under 3 meters you won't notice a thing. (Unless the old cable was knackarded). :)

A

Anonymous

no picture or sound difference on hdmi cables from a fiver to hundred notes at all
here we go guys .

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
True Blue:

Having owned both I am currently running with the Chord and my QED is on ebay.

True Blue

Just noticed your system SIG, "expensive HDMI's because they do make a difference, very good.

But I must point out that a £5 HDMI cable will be the same as your expensive cables you have because its only 0's and 1's(only joking!).

I know what you mean I have all IXOS XHT658 HDMI Cables and they do make a difference.

Please non believers don't shoot me! LOL.

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Ian140:

Hi,

Interested in getting a better HDMI cable for my setup. Looked in the reviews and I'm down to the QED HDMI P or the Chord Supersheild HDMI.

They are both rated 5 starts, but the Chord is in the Best section for cables.

There is an offer here to get a discount on buying more than one of the QED cables:

http://www.hificables.co.uk/11632/Qed-NEW-Performance-HDMI-.html

This is very tempting as I could do with 2 cables.

Would I notice any difference in the picture / sound performance?

Thanks,

Ian

I can not comment on the ones you say, but I will say IMPO that it made a big improvement to the sound quality of my system swapping to my IXOS XHT658 HDMI Cables, picture is sharper, but I noticed the sound quality mainly got more detailed and open.

A

Anonymous

Have you read the 3 people on a couch hdmi cable test thing in this months whsv? Interesting reading.

Btw you say will these cables make a difference but what cables do you have now?

In my experience most decent hdmi cables are much of a muchness. IMHO the exception is the chord active, but they are £115 each

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
CSTANWHF, yes and no. Yes if I could afford another / see another on fleabay (where all mine came from), and no, the differences IMO are greatest in the sound between these cables, the picture is superb with both. My reasoning is that if I can maximise what goes from source to receiver then that will give me the best audio / video out. With the HDMI output only being visual I could not justify spending on a cable that is twice the price with only a marginal increase in PQ. I have experimented,and as stated if I can pick up one cheap I will replace :)

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi True Blue, I see what you mean.
emotion-1.gif

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
breeze:

In this months The Big Question, Chord Co. Supershield is not rated as highly as `freebie`.

Don`t waste your money.

Two points:

1) It's still all down to individual preferences and tastes.

2) Often it depends on the system as to what, if any, difference they make.

If you can get a trial period give 'em a try and if they don't work out, all you will lose is the return postage or the cost of your travel.

A

Anonymous

I managed to get 2 Chord HDMI Active cables (1.5 metre) for £55.00 and £44.00 on E-Bay. Fantastic.

A

Anonymous

SamsonD:I managed to get 2 Chord HDMI Active cables (1.5 metre) for £55.00 and £44.00 on E-Bay. Fantastic.
and you could have bought two fiver hdmi cables and saved
a few bob as they are just as good
you are buying a name tag on a cable only imo.

A

Anonymous

I just received my Thatcable HDMI in the post this morning (no bank holiday in Ireland !!!) and have to say that there is no visible difference between That cable and a Monster cable that I have been using in the mean time...this tells me that the ?50 I spent on the Monster cable was a bit of a waste of money when the Thatcable was ?10 inc. delivery etc....

I suggest you Thatcable HDMI order online and save yourself a wad of cash, and the good thing is that the Thatcable gets great reviews and doesn't look cheap either...

ps. I don't have anything to do with the company in any way...it's just my personal opinion...

A

Anonymous

dvdaudio:SamsonD:I managed to get 2 Chord HDMI Active cables (1.5 metre) for £55.00 and £44.00 on E-Bay. Fantastic.

No thx mate! I'm very happy with what I have purchased. And.....cables do make a difference to me!

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Monster makes the best HDMI cables. The salesperson at Best Buy told me. For $200, the quality of Monster is great and the picture is awesome.

A

Anonymous

SamsonD:
dvdaudio:SamsonD:I managed to get 2 Chord HDMI Active cables (1.5 metre) for £55.00 and £44.00 on E-Bay. Fantastic.

No thx mate! I'm very happy with what I have purchased. And.....cables do make a difference to me!

ok i hear you,
but i had two 50 quid cambridge hdmi cables that broke on me
so tried the five pound ones and i could not tell any differences at all, but if
you see better images than me then i am off to get my eyes tested mate,.

A

Anonymous

dvdaudio:SamsonD:

ok i hear you,
but i had two 50 quid cambridge hdmi cables that broke on me
so tried the five pound ones and i could not tell any differences at all, but if
you see better images than me then i am off to get my eyes tested mate,.

emotion-15.gif

A

Anonymous

The feature in the mag this month on hdmi cables is hilarious. Gives new meaning to the phrase 'blind testing'.....

A

Anonymous

I found this link very helpful on this whole issue of HDMI cables and whether or not more expensive cables are any better at sending a load of noughts and ones.

EDITED BY MODS - House Rules

I think the short answer is that if they are certified as 'Category 2' or 'High Speed' then any extra you spend will not buy you anymore picture or sound quality provided they meet your version requirements ie. 1.4 for 3D etc.

Eliot

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts