HDMI cable sound and video quality

beaker_07

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
I have read through a lot of posts on the various forums about the difference in sound and video quality if any between HDMI cable's.

My local dealer as said that there is better audio from a more expensive quality cable but that the video is the same. I am in the process of re ripping my CD's to lossless to play on a desktop computer via its graphics card by a HDMI connected to my Denon 2300 av amplifier. Would it be worth spending about £20 on a better cable for this connection I am using approx. £5 cable's from Amazon for all other connection?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
beaker_07 said:
I have read through a lot of posts on the various forums about the difference in sound and video quality if any between HDMI cable's.

My local dealer as said that there is better audio from a more expensive quality cable but that the video is the same. I am in the process of re ripping my CD's to lossless to play on a desktop computer via its graphics card by a HDMI connected to my Denon 2300 av amplifier. Would it be worth spending about £20 on a better cable for this connection I am using approx. £5 cable's from Amazon for all other connection?

You DEFINITELY need to get a new one.

No. Not a new cable. A new dealer. He's deluded.

beaker_07

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Thanks guys you confirmed what I have read elsewhere on the forums. Looks like I'll be ordering another one from Amazon at about £5.

Same goes for a sub woofer cable Amazon are much cheaper than a branded audio cable from hi fi shops.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
beaker_07 said:
My local dealer as said that there is better audio from a more expensive quality cable but that the video is the same.

There is some truth in the fact that more expensive cables should be more robust and last longer, particularly if they're plugged/unplugged a lot. But a dealer shouldn't be feeding you that kind of bullsh-t. It destroys your confidence in them and you can no longer trust them to give meaningful advice on anything else.

Feral

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
beaker_07 said:
Thanks guys you confirmed what I have read elsewhere on the forums. Looks like I'll be ordering another one from Amazon at about £5.

Same goes for a sub woofer cable Amazon are much cheaper than a branded audio cable from hi fi shops.

SW cables are analogue as far as i am aware so the HMDI digital lossless argument does not apply to them so i opted for a cambridge one but nothing too expensive. I also opted for amazon basic cables but just ensure they are high speed to meet all the 4k etc requirements.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts