HDMI Cable Query

PINK MOON

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
What is it about an HDMI cable that makes it 1.3a or 1.4? I had heard that they were doing away with that terms to describe the HDMI cables, but what are the actual physical differences? Why do some support 3D and some dont?

On a similar point I saw this cable on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290513503701&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

It states that its 3d ready, im sure WHF state its not 3d ready and its not detailed on the QED website, I asked the seller if it really was 3D ready and he assured me it is leaving me somewhat confused?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
There's never really been such a thing as a 1.3 or 1.4 cable officially - manufacturers use those terms as they're the official standards provided by HDMI organisation for ports, but not cables. So it's a way of describing to people what the cable is capable of (or for some more unscrupulous people, a way of getting people to upgrade when there's no need). The official term for cables is Standard Speed (i.e. certified as guaranteed for sending 720p / 1080i content) and High Speed (i.e. certified as guaranteed for sending 1080p and 3D content plus ARC). There's also both of these standards with Ethernet capability built in. It's ridiculously confusing, but there we go. All detailed on the HDMI.org website.

The QED Profile cable is stated as being High Speed in its 1m and 2m form factors on their website - as such the cable in that ebay advert is capable of transmitting 3D content.

PINK MOON

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the reply!

Would anyone from WHF like to clarify why the say;

'Purists may argue that its lack of HDMI 1.4 capability in this burgeoning 3D age holds it back, but we think the pros more than outweigh the cons.'

I fiind this statement a little confusing if it does actually support 3D,, I accept its a very confusing topic, for so many reasons.

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

agree with the comments above - question why did they choose - the specs that is - to call it "high speed" ?

high bandwidth, high frequency, or high data rate perhaps ?

I thought electrons could only travel at 80% or so of the speed of light depending on the medium they are travelling through, and this "speed" wouldn't I assume change from cable to cable ?

btw I'm not questioning that theres a difference in cables and specs from one HDMI 1.4 to the other, I'm just questioning the naming

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts