HDBaseT - ethernet connections over standard twisted pair cable to replace HDMI?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Golly, where have you all been? We've been round the '$500 for an Ethernet cable???' track endlessly since Denon USA launched that yonks ago...
Probably my "this is too ridiculous to be true, I will ignore it" filter was working better on previous occasions.

scene

hammill:Andrew Everard:Golly, where have you all been? We've been round the '$500 for an Ethernet cable???' track endlessly since Denon USA launched that yonks ago...
Probably my "this is too ridiculous to be true, I will ignore it" filter was working better on previous occasions.

Sorry, I did seem something about this and just assumed it was some sort of April Fools' joke...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It's been available since September 2006, and it's not designed as an Ethernet cable, but to carry digital data and clock signals between two products using the Denon Link system. The fact that it uses RJ45 plugs may be causing the confusion.

'Digits is digits' flamethrowers may now be lit...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:It's been available since September 2006, and it's not designed as an Ethernet cable, but to carry digital data and clock signals between two products using the Denon Link system. The fact that it uses RJ45 plugs may be causing the confusion.

Well, that and that it appears to be using the same colours for the twisted pairs internally as well.

It's an ethernet cable, it might be a very well made ethernet cable and they may have even swapped which cable goes to which pin, but it's still an ethernet cable.

scene

aliEnRIK:Andrew Everard:
aliEnRIK:That is cheap compared to what it was originally sold for (forgets the actual price. 2.5k?)

No, AFAIK it's always been $500.

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AKDL1-Dedicated-Link-Cable/dp/B000I1X6PM/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1278086742&sr=8-1-fkmr1

Ouch on price! But there are some serious send-up 5 star reviews: "After I took delivery of my $500 Denon AKDL1 Cat-5 uber-cable, Al Gore was mysteriously drawn to my home, where he pronounced that Global Warming had been suspended in my vicinity..."

Love it. Best reviews I've read for a while...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts