HD TV choice through Virgin

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am buying a 40” TV and have been taken by the reviews for the Sony KDL40V4000, 40W4000 and 40W4500. I get that they go in ascending order in terms of spec and quality. (& price!). But what I don’t get (and I’m a complete novice in this field so please keep it simple) is whether there is any point whatsoever buying a better tv if it will be operating off Virgin TV, which as far as I can tell has very limited HD.
Is there any point spending extra on a more flash HD tv on this basis.

As far as I can work out I would benefit on DVD’s if I also had a Blu Ray player, but as far as normal watching through (not HD) Virgin goes (which is 95% of my tv time), does having an excellent top notch HD tv (i.e. KDL404500) bring any advantage? Is it worth it? Or is about preparing for greater HD content on Virgin in the future? Any advice hugely appreciated … thks

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Firstly, have you got a V+ box? If not, the question is rather moot. If you do, then you will probably find (as I do) that even standard def programmes look better using the V+ box over HDMI than over freeview built into the set.

While there is only 1 linear HD channel (i.e. ones that broadcast, not on-demand), there are plans for another 4 by roughly easter. There is no word on what they are, although rumours are suggesting that Channel 4HD will be one of them.

Any of the Sonys will provide great picture quality (I have a Sony 50" 3LCD rear projecton set in my lounge, and a 26" LCD in the dining room, both 1080i), so it's down to features and connectivity.

I would look to buy a set capable of 1080p rather than 1080i, as you will futureproof yourself to get the best picture if you were to purchase a blu-ray player in the future (bluray will work fine on 1080i, but you will get a better picture with 1080p). If this doesn't bother you, go for the cheaper set!

Hope this helps,

FBSF.

John Duncan

I'd explain the delay, but they're not paying me so I can't be bothered any more.....
emotion-5.gif

John Duncan

Well it's very quiet, though I have one contract and two permanent jobs bubbling under. Which reminds me, must phone useless agent...

It does mean that I can spend more time listening to music though. DACs are great, aren't they?

John Duncan

fatboyslimfast:Yep. And planning to go to the Bristol show - you going JD?

Oh I doubt it, that would be taking my "useless fixation" a little too far. Oh, and it costs money, which I don't have any more.

Still up for a bash at WHF towers though (which is five minutes down the road and doable between school run and Costa).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts