HD Tracks

Bell

Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi folks,

have bought a couple of downloads from Linn and Naim and really like the quality. Have visited the HD Tracks site and saw it mentioned recently in the magazine. Very interested in soe downloads. Is it true that I can't download to the UK?

daveh75

You can get round their T&Cs/market restrictions by using paypal.

But i'd do some further reading on HD Tracks, they have a habit of offering 'High Res' files that are nothing of the sort :shame:

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
There's plenty of review sites now which will measure 'hi rez' d/ls every which way and tell you the dynamic range and any upsampling bungles.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
PayPal and a .com email - ie don't use a .co.uk.

A few of HDtracks's hi-res are upsampled 44.1/48s and/or are compressed, which isn't exactly "audiophile quality"; HDtracks doesn't seem to be very good at quality-control at present, it merely accepts what the record companies supply at face value. However, much of the material is very good and pukka hi-res. Caveat emptor!

I DL'd an alleged 24-bit/98kHz and it turned out to be an upsampled 48kHz (checked with Audacity). In fairness, HDtracks has subsequently relisted as a 24/48. I complained to customer support and have been offered a freebie of my choice.

Google: 'HD music fft atlas reference' for some useful info.

High Definition Tape Transfers (HDTT) is also worth a look, if you like classical. Sells 24/196s for $16 (£10.31)

http://www.highdeftapetransfers.com

A

Anonymous

Hi, Looking for some help.

I downloaded the free sampler from HD Tracks in November and want to actually purchase some tracks now. As in the original post by Bell I'm getting the message that I can't complete a purchase from outside the U.S. I've created a Paypal account (registered to my .com e-mail and UK address etc.) Do I need to register a new account with HD tracks, or can I update my existing one? How do I free up my .com e-mail address that I originally used to register in Nov?

A

Anonymous

It appears that Universal Music Group have persuaded HD Tracks to better enforce "regional restrictions" and they now refer to the users IP address, so the Paypal workaround no longer works for UMG titles and other labels under their umbrella. Unfortunately this blocks a significant chunk of their catalogue! Not sure what you're into but you can still purchase albums under other labels, such as 2L (mostly classical, great sound quality) and Reference Recordings, and I recently downloaded some Fleetwood Mac which I thought sounded really good too.

Not sure what Universal Music Group think they will achieve as they had me searching for Oscar Peterson's Night Train on the pirate sites since I was unable to purchase from HD Tracks. I hope we'll soon see a UK equivalent of HD Tracks but bet your life they'll be looking to charge £18 as opposed to US$18 per 24/96 flac download!

And the music industry continues to shake their heads and wonder why the pirates thrive.

Clive123 said:
It appears that Universal Music Group have persuaded HD Tracks to better enforce "regional restrictions" and they now refer to the users IP address, so the Paypal workaround no longer works for UMG titles and other labels under their umbrella. Unfortunately this blocks a significant chunk of their catalogue! Not sure what you're into but you can still purchase albums under other labels, such as 2L (mostly classical, great sound quality) and Reference Recordings, and I recently downloaded some Fleetwood Mac which I thought sounded really good too.

Not sure what Universal Music Group think they will achieve as they had me searching for Oscar Peterson's Night Train on the pirate sites since I was unable to purchase from HD Tracks. I hope we'll soon see a UK equivalent of HD Tracks but bet your life they'll be looking to charge £18 as opposed to US$18 per 24/96 flac download!

And the music industry continues to shake their heads and wonder why the pirates thrive.

I think it is very good of them to keep download prices high - gives the dealers of CD / SACD a fighting chance.
Having said that the savings they must be making in shipping / packaging / et al must be huge. You would think pricing for downloads would reflect this. Even 18$ seems a tad expensive for the end product. Just goes to show what a money-grabbing bunch they are! You are correct, until realistic prices arrive you are going to get pirating and they have only themselves to blame.

A

Anonymous

It seems that Universal are now releasing their back catalogue on Linn, so they are probably trying to protect that contract

A

Anonymous

It seems that Universal are now releasing their back catalogue on Linn, so they are probably trying to protect that contract

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice,

Used the Paypal without completing regestration route last night and managed to download some 24/96 Steve Vai which has me very happy!

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
I had this problem. I'm sure that Deep Purple Machine Head is not as hi-res as claimed. Then again, Rumours is mind blowingly good.

Are you sure that you want Deep Purple's "Machine Head" in high res. ? What difference are you expecting to hear ?

tinkywinkydipsylalapo said:
Good to see that almost everything on the UK site is at least 50% more expensive than on the US one.
That's naughty, isn't it, and it is not as though they can claim shipping or import taxes!

I realise their catalogue is limited, but I like eclassical.com as they charge per minute, not in defined chunks like every other one I've seen.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes agree about the prices, rip-off Britain. ALso they can't count Classic 100 Jazz are only 13 albums, Rock has a few more so it seems many albums are not available in UK?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts