HD/BLU RAY DISCS - a question

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I think I know the answer to this, but here goes. The US release on HD-DVD of (for example) In The Valley of Elah is a DVD/HD-DVD combo disc whereas the Blu Ray is just a regular BD. They're both the same price and both region free, being Warners. Does this mean that the HD-DVD has a reduced capacity or are combo discs like hybrid CD/DVDs with both formats physically stuck together. On the HD side, is there any difference? If not, the the HD-DVD seems a good bet, 'cos I can play it on my second DVD player later.

A

Anonymous

Correct, it's basically a flipper, HD one side SD the other. BUT, the SD is region coded (US 1) so you'll need a MR player to play that side. Plus some combo discs don't play on some of the Tosh players (EP30 for example) I had Miami Vice and it stalled half way through and wouldn't play the rest of the film so had to watch the SD side on my old player. This apparently is common for combo discs. Avoid, unless you have a high spec machine and I'm just unlucky. Had the same problem with Harry Potter but that just stuttered briefly and played on when I pressed the play button.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I don't really get the combo discs. If you've got it on HD, why would you want to watch it on SD? Unless you're going to lend it to a friend, but I don't buy my movies so my friends can watch them!

A

Anonymous

Good thing is if you buy the HD version and it's a pre-UK release if it doesn't play you can sell it over here for the same price you paid for it. I did this so wasn't out of pocket, then picked up the SD version of MV for £3. It didn't warrant another HD purchase as it's a popcorn film.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="professorhat"]
I don't really get the combo discs. If you've got it on HD, why would you want to watch it on SD? Unless you're going to lend it to a friend, but I don't buy my movies so my friends can watch them!

[/quote]

It's an attempt to placate retailers who only want to have single inventory - ie only stock discs in one format - and don't want punters buying a disc thinking it's a DVD only to discover it won't work in their standard DVD player.

A

Anonymous

Thanks a lot everyone! Yet another reason to go blu! I have both players, but my HD is the EP-30 so I shall avoid the combo at all costs.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yup, the HD-DVD side is region free, but flip it over to watch the standard DVD side and it'll be encoded in Region 1 (US, Japan etc.) if you import it from the US. Not a problem if your DVD player is multi-region obviously.

A

Anonymous

Hiya Casca,how are ya?Different to your subject,I noticed you have the Sharp blu-ray player,what do you think,how would you rate it?I`ve just placed an order for mine and hope I`m doing the right thing.I have a HD EP30 the same as you,and a non hdmi a/v amp like you,I use an Arcam alpha 9 paired with a Yamaha dsp e800 processor and find the Toshiba well impressive.Also,you know the usb port on the back,do you know if use this to connect to the web in same way as the ethernet on the Tosh or do you update firmware by burning the info from the web onto a dvd-r and running this through the player?Also is the Sharp profile 1.0 or 1.1?Hope you didn`t mind me asking but the people at Sharp don`t seem to have a clue.Cheers bud,take it easy.

A

Anonymous

Hi Bot
The short answer is "I like the player". Actually, I REALLY like it. In HD, pix are very good, sound is terrific. I like the quick start function (although it uses more power & is noisy). You have to use the (rather nice) remote for everything, remember; no controls on the front. It's an excellent DVD upscaler, too. Better than the Pioneer DVD player.
I did speak to someone relatively switched on at Sharp who told me that the USB is just for their engineers and that us mere mortals can upgrade via cd/dvd.
It was interesting that the Tosh had a sheet in it that said 'HD-DVD is an emerging format subject to change.....". So all this BD-knocking is a trifle, shall we say, subjective.
Hope this helps - enjoy!

A

Anonymous

Hi Casca,thanks for the reply bud,yes it has helped a lot ta.I feel a bit more confident about buying it now.I was quite reluctant to go blu-ray,I`d much rather see hddvd take off,in my opinion it`s a better,more finished format,also better value for money,blu-ray players are more expensive,even the"budget"ones.I also think the bda did a dirty trick by paying WB in the region of 400 million,if it`s true of course.I also heard WB would rather have gone hddvd if they could`ve secured another studio`s backing,I believe Fox were lined up,but pulled out at the last minute, were paid ,again by the bda to go blu-ray.Money talks eh?Ireckon if you want to enjoy Hd,you need to buy players for both formats.Anyway,can I ask you something else about your Sharp player?Do you know if it`s profile 1.0 or 1.1?Do you use the six channel analogues for the hd audios?If so,how does it sound compared to standard Dolby/Dts 5.1?Was the Sharp yor first choice player?How the bloody hell do you find room on your rack for all your gear?I`ve got 8 components on mine(when I get the blu-ray player),cleaning the stuff`s a bloody nightmare.Anyway,thanks again for the help,better go,missus saying"you still on that thing?".So,take care and enjoy all those HD movies bud,talk soon.

A

Anonymous

Hi BB
I went with the Sharp because it was substantially cheaper than the Sony, and they cut me a fantastic deal on the Screen, player and stand combo. Pix looked great on audition on both BD and DVD. I tried it on three different screens. The fast load function was also important. I use the 5.1 out from it and it sounds terrific - noticeably better than the optical. As to profile, I think it's 1.1 (that's what the store told me), HDMI is 1.3. The Sonys only had older HDMI and BD profiles. It also looks really cool, something which is important even if all we talk about here are specs and performance!
The super stylish Sharp rack carries my amp at the base and the 3 players on the shelf beneath the screen. All three are slim and black and match the stand beautifuly. The Cable box stands on its side near the sub.
My missus love the way it looks and sounds!
I will upgrade the amp to have multiple HDMIs in, which will help clean up some of the spaghetti!
Enjoy!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts