HD Audio - Onkyo 506 / Panasonic DMPBD50

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm in the process of upgrading my DVD player and amp. Have just gone for the Panasonic DMPBD50, and want to make sure i pair this with a suitable AVR. Looking at Onkyo 506, but can this handle HD audio via the HDMI as it hasnt got build in decoders? Or should i be looking at the Onkyo 606 which has? Any help on setup or selecting the right amp would be appreciated.

A

Anonymous

The onkyo 506 is not capable of handling hd audio,only normal dolby digital and dts[ i have one too!] The onkyo 606 is a wise selection[5 star review] as it can handle all hd sound solutions,and features in many peoples set-ups on here!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that, i know the panasonic DMPBD50 can decode the HD audio but does that mean the amp has to as well, or can it accept the signal provided by the blu ray player? Just trying to make sure i get the best out of my system. Ive had Denon kit before but after seeing and hearing my brothers Onkyo i think its time for a change!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Even though you can't input via HDMI with the 506, you can output via the multi-channel outputs on the BD50 to the 506 and this will work fine. However, since you're buying a new amp, unless the budget is completely constrained, I think it makes sense to spend a little bit more and get an amp that can accept HD audio via the HDMI sockets - you never know what might happen in future!

A

Anonymous

From the sound of it (no pun intended) its worth spending just that bit extra for the Onkyo 606. I want the best out of my setup and have lived happily with Dolby Digital, but is HD Audio that much better?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
It offers a lot more detail due to the larger bitrate - it's a bit like comparing a song which is encoded in 128kps MP3 format with the same song encoded in a lossless format - there's more detail and it sounds better as a result.
IMO, it's worth it.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all of that, looks like the 606 is a wise move! As for connections, is it best to do it all via HDMI or is optical/coax an option?

A

Anonymous

awesome thanks for all the info! is it worth upgrading speakers too, im still using my MS Genies and love them!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts