Having a hard time deciding between two TVs: KD-77AG9 and KD-85ZG9 (both from Sony)

PPR

Jun 14, 2020
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I own an OLED Sony KD-65A1 TV and have decided to upgrade. I am virtually torn between two TV models – the Sony KD-77AG9 (4K OLED) and the Sony KD-85ZG9 (8K LCD) – both of which pose a certain compromise for me. I was able to see both screens on display – albeit relatively briefly.

The blacks on the OLED TV are just as perfect, and the overall image quality is breathtaking, however the size of the screen is smaller than what I would ideally prefer. While I can give the 8K feature up (even though it would indeed be nice to own a forward-looking screen), the smaller screen size of the OLED TV makes it a bit of a difficult choice for me. On the other hand, having read the review KD-85ZG9 on this website, the wording of "blacks could be deeper" is a bit off-putting. I would ideally not compromise between blacks and screen size, but it is my understanding that I will have to. I should also mention that I plan on doing quite a bit of gaming, so that factor may have implications on the choice of screen.

From what I see, there are no reasonably priced OLED screens of similar sizes (85") – and therefore choice is between the above two models. I should say that I prefer Sony products because the post purchase service that I've received from them over the years was nothing short of stellar.

I am truly at loss here as this is not my area of expertise, and would appreciate some input and insights.

Thank you very much!

Only a side by side comparison will tell you which is the better one. Instinctively, I usually advise to go for the biggest screen you can afford and accommodate. How much of SD content will you be watching? Because SD on an 8K TV will look worse, especially at that size. Also, when the TV was released, 8K standards were not ratified. So I'm not certain the 8K TV released last year is necessarily future proof.

D

Deleted member 2457

Hello everyone,

I own an OLED Sony KD-65A1 TV and have decided to upgrade. I am virtually torn between two TV models – the Sony KD-77AG9 (4K OLED) and the Sony KD-85ZG9 (8K LCD) – both of which pose a certain compromise for me. I was able to see both screens on display – albeit relatively briefly.

The blacks on the OLED TV are just as perfect, and the overall image quality is breathtaking, however the size of the screen is smaller than what I would ideally prefer. While I can give the 8K feature up (even though it would indeed be nice to own a forward-looking screen), the smaller screen size of the OLED TV makes it a bit of a difficult choice for me. On the other hand, having read the review KD-85ZG9 on this website, the wording of "blacks could be deeper" is a bit off-putting. I would ideally not compromise between blacks and screen size, but it is my understanding that I will have to. I should also mention that I plan on doing quite a bit of gaming, so that factor may have implications on the choice of screen.

From what I see, there are no reasonably priced OLED screens of similar sizes (85") – and therefore choice is between the above two models. I should say that I prefer Sony products because the post purchase service that I've received from them over the years was nothing short of stellar.

I am truly at loss here as this is not my area of expertise, and would appreciate some input and insights.

Thank you very much!
Have you considered Samsung QLEDs? They currently do the best TV and you get great blacks and really bright pictures. I own the Samsung 65q950r and the 55-inch and they are amazing much better than our LG 65C9 OLED TV.

PPR

Jun 14, 2020
Visit site
Thank you, everyone, for all the valuable input!

I prefer to go specifically with Sony because of a flawless track record in post-purchase customer service (a track record spanning 30 years, during which time all of my TVs have been from Sony). I don't have experience with other brands and frankly, I'm not too eager to try.

Today I was able to go back to the dealership and spend some time testing both TVs, using several kinds of content. I truly liked the ZG9, I must say, and I left the agency with the feeling that the benefits of a large, vibrant screen outweigh the imperfect blacks. The ZG9 is as such a very strong contender.

By the way, while the blacks on the ZG9 cannot match the OLED AG9, they are excellent still.

To those who asked, my budget is about $8,500 USD, however prices in my country might be slightly higher.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Reactions: bigboss

TRENDING THREADS