Have you ever painted speakers?

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Inspired by what something said in a different post about grabbing spray cans. I was recently looking for a set of second handers and left a walnut pair go due they wouldn't have blended with asthetics (fancy way for saying the wife would freak out, how would I know when colours match). Can they be painted successfully?

muljao said:
Inspired by what something said in a different post about grabbing spray cans. I was recently looking for a set of second handers and left a walnut pair go due they wouldn't have blended with asthetics (fancy way for saying the wife would freak out, how would I know when colours match). Can they be painted successfully?

Yes they can but unless you really know what you are doing regards paint type and proper spray guns I would suggest you get it done by a professional.

Just saying because I have seen some really bad home-made efforts, also beware that once done they become very difficult to sell on as most people, if looking for a particular model of speaker, want them in original condition.

PS: It was me who mentioned spray cans...and it was meant as a joke in that instance.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
muljao said:

Yes they can but unless you really know what you are doing regards paint type and proper spray guns I would suggest you get it done by a professional.

Just saying because I have seen some really bad home-made efforts, also beware that once done they become very difficult to sell on as most people, if looking for a particular model of speaker, want them in original condition.

PS: It was me who mentioned spray cans...and it was meant as a joke in that instance.

I was just curious, spotted a pair of mission wall mounters in good condition recently in good nick for small money. If I thought I could have painted them black I'd have probably bought them. I'd have used a brush though

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I once painted a pair of cheap Sanyo speakers from teak to satin black using car aerosol paint. Owner was pleased and tbh it's not particularly difficult to f'k up satin black as long as you first sand the surface to key it and use a tack wipe to remove any grease. I wouldn't want to try to do something ambitious such as change a light wood finish to dark wood...

MajorFubar said:
I once painted a pair of cheap Sanyo speakers from teak to satin black using car aerosol paint. Owner was pleased and tbh it's not particularly difficult to f'k up satin black as long as you first sand the surface to key it and use a tack wipe to remove any grease. I wouldn't want to try to do something ambitious such as change a light wood finish to dark wood...

Good God Major, satin black? Where you every of the Goth persuasion? :)

I don't think I would be so adventurous as would always advise that the paint job be finished with multiple coats of varnish to seal it, however, I do believe that nowadays not all varnish is gloss.

Joking aside, to the OP, I believe that if you really want a good finish to your speakers you should treat them as if you're repainting a car ie., remove all bits you're not wanting to get paint on including the drivers themselves, rub the cabinet down well, apply a primer, use automotive type paint sprays and then apply a sealant of some sort usually a varnish. Some, I believe, use a marine varnish as its more flexible but not too sure why.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
Good God Major, satin black? Where you every of the Goth persuasion? :)

Lol no but this was early 90s, silver hifis and and teak speakers were 'out' and black hifis and black ash speakers were 'in'. My young niece (then 13, now nealy 40, where does the time go??!!!) wanted her 'inherrited from mum and dad' Sanyo music centre to look a little less 1976. Even after I painted them, the woodgrain was still visible and they passed for black ash if you didn't look too close.

Southsea

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Just a thought, someone gave my mate a pair of Tannoy 6 floorstanders and he covered them with Fablon to match the decor - they still look brilliant ten years later. Jealous!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts