Has the forum died?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

jjbomber

davedotco said:
, it is virtually impossible to offer an opinion that does not allign with the current established 'groupthink', without causing 'offence'.

People take offence, you can't give offence. So if people want to take offence at everything, that is their problem, not yours. Feel free to offer an opinion whenever you like.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
jjbomber said:
davedotco said:
, it is virtually impossible to offer an opinion that does not allign with the current established 'groupthink', without causing 'offence'.

People take offence, you can't give offence. So if people want to take offence at everything, that is their problem, not yours. Feel free to offer an opinion whenever you like.

One can however "cause" offence, which is why it is sometimes polite to withhold an opinion. Simply a matter of good manners and sensibility.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Gazzip said:
jjbomber said:
davedotco said:

One can however "cause" offence, which is why it is sometimes polite to withhold an opinion. Simply a matter of good manners and sensibility.

Clearly the forum hasn't died then, but hopefully those that do cause offence are reading this, although it's notable that they are not contributing to it *smile*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
ellisdj said:
What this forum misses and lacks is threads where it's positive only. Where people share their experiences openly and freely without others jumping in deliberately to be sarcastic antagonistic or rude even if the topic is controversial in their eyes or the don't believe in what is being discussed.

The fact that all these types of threads ends up in argument it's an instant turn off to people who might otherwise post and get involved in one then another thread and so on.

They also wont search and find threads on here full of opinion and individual advice - they may see 2 posts like it then 99 in argument.

The forum should be a hive of positive experiences that are shared. These positive experiences can then be explored by others to see if it helps them along the way.

But it's the opposite it's mostly the same few people allowing only the same limited conversations and opinions.

So if your into hifi why would you come here for anything

Very few posts on here are about really trying to push sound quality standards at home.

You would expect it to be full of enthusiastic individuals that scream and shout about improvements they make even if only as small as 1%. This type of forum content can be achieved in so many ways but I hardly ever read anything inspirational on here that makes me want to try what's been written that would enhance my interest in the hobby as a whole. Who cares if people are spending money on the hobby that's them being interested in it and that's great!

That's sorely missing from such a great place for it imo.

That is a nice idea but the downside of your suggestion is that anyone can write a load of absolute drivel without anything being challenged. This to me is an important part of the hi-fi debate but sadly, as with so many things today, it is virtually impossible to offer an opinion that does not allign with the current established 'groupthink', without causing 'offence'.

Now, I actually enjoy reading about people's experiences, finding out about what was tried and what works and does not work for them is fun. Sometimes I find ideas and suggestions that I take away from this and am able to investigate in my own setup, which is of course the point.

On the other hand, I quickly get bored with some of the nonsense that is written by those who slavishly follow the 'established' views, proclaiming 'night and day' differences that are, shall we say, unlikely.

Pointing out flaws in the way such evaluations are made can make for a lively debate if the parties are open to discussion but all to often the discussion is shut down by cries of "well if you can't hear it you must be deaf/have a crap system" on the one side and the "if it wasn't double blind it means nothing" on the other.

All I want to hear is what you tried, how you tried it and what you heard. Suggestions can then be made as to what else is worth trying or how the methodology can be altered to confirm (or deny) the results.

This is the kind of 'positive attitude' that should be encouraged in my view.

You highlight the problem mentality here Dave.co.

Someone's posts something they have done or tried.
Normally the next 5 posts are in stern debate of it.

Imagine instead the next 5 posts were thanking the person for the suggestion. Or saying yes I will try that and report back or I have tried that already and think this.

We don't get that ever on this forum. Think of the effect it would have on the reader they are much more likely to try and get involved in the thread.

The they would start their own threads on things they are trying etc.

There is no need to challenge anything anyone says that there is the main problem and why so few people are active. It should be a fight to get a post in on here not a fight between parties

tonky said:
And this thread proves it.

tonky - a well known lurker!

Most start off as lurkers. ;-)

I think certain well known posters have left because they got fed up with the number of idiots that have appeared on this forum of late that blatantly abused those dedicated enough to attempt to continue with sensible posts to the point of being followed from thread to thread to hassle again.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
davedotco said:
That is a nice idea but the downside of your suggestion is that anyone can write a load of absolute drivel without anything being challenged.
Well, you would know, davedotco, being as guilty as the rest of us: Dealers don't know much about hifi when all is said and done, just as car salesmen know little about the internal combustion engine.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
avole said:
davedotco said:
That is a nice idea but the downside of your suggestion is that anyone can write a load of absolute drivel without anything being challenged.
Well, you would know, davedotco, being as guilty as the rest of us: Dealers don't know much about hifi when all is said and done, just as car salesmen know little about the internal combustion engine.

They do when the dealer also used to be involved in the design and manufacture of said hifi...

shadders

Hi,

There are other forums that are purely subjective. One is hifisubjectivist.org which has an approach where what you hear is accepted and discussed. You don't seem to be challenged on whether you heard a difference or not.

On this forum, you will always get an opposing view, which is healthy, else it will become very quickly a clique.

Regards,

Shadders.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Infiniteloop said:
The problem with this forum for me is that the life and joy has been sucked out of ownership of anything that isn't either:

1. Cheap.

2. Active.

3. Digital.

As an owner of relatively expensive passive speakers, a Valve Amp, a Devialet and having an interest in turntables and the design and aesthetics of high end kit, any attempt at a discussion or mention of most of these items is summarilty dismissed/ridiculed by the usual few who seem determined to reduce everything to its lowest common denominator.

As I've said before (see 'Nu Vista CD Player - any good?' thread), this is a hobby and as such aren't we supposed to be able to enjoy exotica, much like car enthusiasts do?

Is it any wonder the more entertaining posters are staying away?

Off topic but I just went back to valve for my pre-amp. I am still using solid state for power. Full circle 12 months after moving away from valves in favour of solid state. Best change I have made in a while.

If you fancy using this as a new topic Gazzip, I'd be more than happy to contribute. There's something that Valves do that transistors simply dont. For instance, I have never heard treble from a valve Amp that made me wince. I cannot say that about transistor Amps.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Of my day here. Never knew hi-fi as a hobby in 2010. Took a subscription of what hi-fi by chance on zinio app. And have been hooked ever since. Iam still saving towards my first good hi-fi setup. Iam stuck on a boat for almost 8 months a year . And I have internet access for only 90 mins a day . And I spend those precious minutes here, everyday. Have been doing so for the last 4 years. This forum, and all your suggestions are the most interesting read for me. So, it's not all bad from my perspective. You are all still a very helpful bunch. So the answer is NO, the forum is not dead by any stretch of imagination.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Of the day here. Never knew hi-fi as a hobby in 2010. Took a subscription of what hi-fi by chance on zinio app. And have been hooked ever since. Iam still saving towards my first good hi-fi setup. Iam stuck on a boat for almost 8 months a year . And I have internet access for only 90 mins a day . And I spend those precious minutes here, everyday. Have been doing so for the last 4 years. This forum, and all your suggestions are the most interesting read for me. So, it's not all bad from my perspective. You are all still a very helpful bunch. So the answer is NO, the forum is not dead by any stretch of imagination.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
it is virtually impossible to offer an opinion that does not allign with the current established 'groupthink', without causing 'offence'.

I just wanted to back this statement completely. I'm one of the persons, that sometimes, put things into perspectives. I have no tact in the way I bring things up, but it's the way who I am (psychological sickness known as Asperger syndrome). Whatever, even with complete measures and very logical observations, you are quickly designed as a troll, or hidden vendor by some other members. Sometimes followed to other threads. This is not the behavior of a grown up hifi-forum member, it's a way of doing, that even a young teenager community would find inapropriate.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
In recent times, I have been trying, pretty successfull I think, to be polite and non aggressive in my posts even when responding to posts that are complete twaddle.

If ellisdj or others think that any old rubish can be posted and accepted without criticism then I think they are simply mistaken. Discussing and challenging these posts are the way forward.

There are of course a very small number of posters who simply 'troll' for a reaction, they are not worth passing the time of day with, so are best ignored.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
avole said:
davedotco said:

Avole, I think your comment is a little too sweeping!

I would say that you don't read comments and contributions too well if you think a dealer's contribution/knowledge is all drivel. Most dealers have heard a wide variety of equipment over a lengthy period of time - their comments,knowledge and contributions on this site are welcomed by me (and many others too, I suspect) - inmho of course.

And let's leave car salesman analogies out of it - it just confuses the issue.

tonky

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
In recent times, I have been trying, pretty successfull I think, to be polite and non aggressive in my posts even when responding to posts that are complete twaddle.

If ellisdj or others think that any old rubish can be posted and accepted without criticism then I think they are simply mistaken. Discussing and challenging these posts are the way forward.

There are of course a very small number of posters who simply 'troll' for a reaction, they are not worth passing the time of day with, so are best ignored.
Any old rubbish in your eyes can be written by anyone and accepted by another or not. Certain people dont have the right to try and stop people from posting about it - noone has the right to - why should someones opinion be challenged by anyone else opinion - to the point quite often with bullying tactics, sarcasm, insults and worse. How is that acdeptable behaviour yet that is what we get time again.

What is acceptable is for people to indulge in their hobby and discuss it freely whether others agree or not with what they say - if you dont agree with the topic stay out and start another, that is how it should be - noone has the right to challenge another as they seem to on this forum. That is the Main problem with this forum and the reason its so dull most of the time - the worst its ever been lately I think.

Monday morning there should be a littering of posts from enthusiastic hifi individuals who at the weekend was out listening to new kit or at home testing and tweaking and doing all sorts to improve their systems at home and they want to share that with like minded enthusiasts - that is what a hobby is. Does any disagree that this should be the case - how often is it ever like that ? Its such a shame that its not and that is not the magazines fault its the fault of the people that use the forum.

The forum of the main magazine for the hifi industry forum should be full of people sharing their experiences and opinions on all sorts of matters relating to hifi - factually correct or not - it doesnt matter. People are just indulging and enjoying the hobby - buying new kit, trying out tweaks, messing about is all part of the enjoyment and fun of the hobby and the learning curve. Who cares if its ABX blind tested or not really.

There are so many cynical posts and negativity towards anything not agreed with on this forum - I think the lack of thread content proves its counter productive - it seems to come from grumpy old men who have long since fell out of love with the hobby. That is how it comes across to me.

If there was just less negativity even if not more positivity towards all topics it would lead to much more involvment, more involvement means more content to read and get involved with - so that when a thread comes up about a topic people feel negatively about those people are not so desperate to be be involved in a thread because of lack of threads they wont feel the desperate need to get involved in the new topic and then jump down the throats of the people in the thread with their views, ruining the experience for others that are trying to make a discussion thats of interest to them. Thread gets ruined and the experience ruined for the people originally involved - why would anyone bother - they are not are they.

Its so obvious and clear that is the problem with this forum its painful

shadders

ellisdj said:
davedotco said:

Any old rubbish in your eyes can be written by anyone and accepted by another or not. Certain people dont have the right to try and stop people from posting about it - noone has the right to - why should someones opinion be challenged by anyone else opinion - to the point quite often with bullying tactics, sarcasm, insults and worse. How is that acdeptable behaviour yet that is what we get time again.

What is acceptable is for people to indulge in their hobby and discuss it freely whether others agree or not with what they say - if you dont agree with the topic stay out and start another, that is how it should be - noone has the right to challenge another as they seem to on this forum. That is the Main problem with this forum and the reason its so dull most of the time - the worst its ever been lately I think.

Monday morning there should be a littering of posts from enthusiastic hifi individuals who at the weekend was out listening to new kit or at home testing and tweaking and doing all sorts to improve their systems at home and they want to share that with like minded enthusiasts - that is what a hobby is. Does any disagree that this should be the case - how often is it ever like that ? Its such a shame that its not and that is not the magazines fault its the fault of the people that use the forum.

The forum of the main magazine for the hifi industry forum should be full of people sharing their experiences and opinions on all sorts of matters relating to hifi - factually correct or not - it doesnt matter. People are just indulging and enjoying the hobby - buying new kit, trying out tweaks, messing about is all part of the enjoyment and fun of the hobby and the learning curve. Who cares if its ABX blind tested or not really.

There are so many cynical posts and negativity towards anything not agreed with on this forum - I think the lack of thread content proves its counter productive - it seems to come from grumpy old men who have long since fell out of love with the hobby. That is how it comes across to me.

If there was just less negativity even if not more positivity towards all topics it would lead to much more involvment, more involvement means more content to read and get involved with - so that when a thread comes up about a topic people feel negatively about those people are not so desperate to be be involved in a thread because of lack of threads they wont feel the desperate need to get involved in the new topic and then jump down the throats of the people in the thread with their views, ruining the experience for others that are trying to make a discussion thats of interest to them. Thread gets ruined and the experience ruined for the people originally involved - why would anyone bother - they are not are they.

Hi,

I think that is the purpose of a forum, to discuss all aspects of a subject, regardless of opinion or subject matter.

What you may be requiring is the new approach which is in vogue at the moment, such as a "safe zone" for your threads.

If you want this, as per a previous thread you participated in, is to state clearly that only positive statements must be made which reinforce your position and approach must be made, and no negative or perceived disruptive statements/challenges must be posted in your thread.

It seemed to work in the previous thread specific to your experience, so you could continue to repeat that here. Most people obliged and did not comment negatively or challenge the experiences.

Regards,

Shadders.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
shadders said:
ellisdj said:
davedotco said:

Hi,

I think that is the purpose of a forum, to discuss all aspects of a subject, regardless of opinion or subject matter.

What you may be requiring is the new approach which is in vogue at the moment, such as a "safe zone" for your threads.

If you want this, as per a previous thread you participated in, is to state clearly that only positive statements must be made which reinforce your position and approach must be made, and no negative or perceived disruptive statements/challenges must be posted in your thread.

It seemed to work in the previous thread specific to your experience, so you could continue to repeat that here. Most people obliged and did not comment negatively or challenge the experiences.

Regards,

Shadders.

Saved ne the trouble of posting a similar reply.

If you post your views on a public forum, you are inviting a response and, yes, even an opposing opinion.

If you can not handle that then you should stay in your 'safe space' to avoid hurt feelings.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
shadders said:
ellisdj said:
davedotco said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Saved ne the trouble of posting a similar reply.

If you post your views on a public forum, you are inviting a response and, yes, even an opposing opinion.

If you can not handle that then you should stay in your 'safe space' to avoid hurt feelings.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Its not about there being positive and negative views towards a topic - its the way people do it and the frequency of hows its done.

Start a cable thread before anyone has posted anything about the actual cable in question - there is 10 negative comments quite often insulting with no actual content towards the product that has been mentioned.

I.e. the 10 posters have never seen, heard, tried the cable in question - yet they are straight in there with comments.

If you read that and thought, actually I would like to have a chat with someone on cables but I cant, then the next time I would like to have a chat about something else, I wont bother because if I start a thread it will likely go the same way

If those 10 people didnt post and a person posted a couple of times in a more positive type of thread - do you think they are more likely to post again in the future - quite obviously yes

So what have the 10 people who posted in the thread actually done - they have pushed away someone or multiple peopl from the forum - so your left with but a handful of people compared to what there whould be with such a limited range of threads the forum is boring and not attractive to become a member.

This is so obvious and clear to me as the reason this forum is so limited in posters and content.

Whats ridiculous is that people are still out there buying, testing and tweaking they just chose not to come on here and share - that is the sadest part of it. It shouldnt be like that and there is only one reason why it is like it

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I forgot to put - dont worry lads keep up the good work, pretty soon you will have it just how you want it - with only about 20 people active on here all with the same views

Thats a grand prospect to consider.........

@ Ellisdj, I get your point about cable threads, but - and it's a big but - I think netiquette should mean you lurk for a while before opening your mouth in print, as it were. Anyone spending a few hours browsing here, should surely find cables pretty controversial. So asking should I buy brand A or brand B, when both are established names is fairly pointless. However, no need for insults or rudeness, regardless.

And a recent returner to the forum shows it's not so bad...!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
NoPiano, I see your point buts that missing the point I am trying to make.

Where are all the hifi enthusiasts - there cant only be our resident 20 out there and I think its debateable calling some of them enthusiasts.

Why are there not more posters on here, the forum for I would guess the largest magazine and a pedigree source for hi fi information?

It can only be the content and people that use the forum - the way the forum has gone in my view is totally boring. Hardly any new chat, no new ideas, the same old stuff from the same old people.

Why is this forum like this - because of how people write on here - it pushes new users away. I mentioned cable threads as they a very apt example of what is happening. They push posters away, other threads push posters away - we then have less content, less new posters and threads - so the forum becomes boring. If its boring it doesnt attract new people to it.

It quite clearly needs more people being involved and less people being pushed away - even long time posters have been pushed away or to the point of minimal postings - are they still out listening, testing and tweaking of course, they are just chosing not to share on here.

That is the main problem - certain people are in denial that its not their fault the forum is the way it is - they think are doing good for their fellow audiohpile. I personally think its completely the other way around

shadders

ellisdj said:
Its not about there being positive and negative views towards a topic - its the way people do it and the frequency of hows its done.

Start a cable thread before anyone has posted anything about the actual cable in question - there is 10 negative comments quite often insulting with no actual content towards the product that has been mentioned.

I.e. the 10 posters have never seen, heard, tried the cable in question - yet they are straight in there with comments.

If you read that and thought, actually I would like to have a chat with someone on cables but I cant, then the next time I would like to have a chat about something else, I wont bother because if I start a thread it will likely go the same way

If those 10 people didnt post and a person posted a couple of times in a more positive type of thread - do you think they are more likely to post again in the future - quite obviously yes

So what have the 10 people who posted in the thread actually done - they have pushed away someone or multiple peopl from the forum - so your left with but a handful of people compared to what there whould be with such a limited range of threads the forum is boring and not attractive to become a member.

This is so obvious and clear to me as the reason this forum is so limited in posters and content.

Whats ridiculous is that people are still out there buying, testing and tweaking they just chose not to come on here and share - that is the sadest part of it. It shouldnt be like that and there is only one reason why it is like it
Hi,

No one is disagreeing with what you want from the forum, but since it is a public forum, then you will receive positive and negative comments.

If you want your threads to be positive only, and experience sharing only, which agrees with your expectation, then you must state this in the thread as a warning that you only want what you want. Else people will reply with comments you don't like.

We had the same exchange on a mains cable and/or a mains conditioner thread, where you indicated all you wanted was discussion that agreed with your experience. Which is ok, but you do need to state this at the start of the thread.

If you did not start the thread, and this aspect/requirement has not been stated in the thread, then you must expect statements to be challenged.

People have challenged without being rude or offensive.

Regards,

Shadders.

ellisdj said:
NoPiano, I see your point buts that missing the point I am trying to make.

Where are all the hifi enthusiasts - there cant only be our resident 20 out there and I think its debateable calling some of them enthusiasts.

Why are there not more posters on here, the forum for I would guess the largest magazine and a pedigree source for hi fi information?

It can only be the content and people that use the forum - the way the forum has gone in my view is totally boring. Hardly any new chat, no new ideas, the same old stuff from the same old people.

Why is this forum like this - because of how people write on here - it pushes new users away. I mentioned cable threads as they a very apt example of what is happening. They push posters away, other threads push posters away - we then have less content, less new posters and threads - so the forum becomes boring. If its boring it doesnt attract new people to it.

It quite clearly needs more people being involved and less people being pushed away - even long time posters have been pushed away or to the point of minimal postings - are they still out listening, testing and tweaking of course, they are just chosing not to share on here.

That is the main problem - certain people are in denial that its not their fault the forum is the way it is - they think are doing good for their fellow audiohpile. I personally think its completely the other way around
Regret I don't have an answer, though some personal experience of this, and some motoring and professional (law related) sites and fora. They have a dynamic that's hard to manage, though active moderation has a role, and that has waned here. Rarely do WHF writers/staff participate now, which is a loss.

For my part, I've not bought such a lot of new gear recently, but renewed interest in turntables and past experience in a dealer environment has taught me a bit, which I try to pass on. But the web has made people lazy too. Not many spend weeks buying magazines and visiting dealers; they want answers now, and to buy online.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
It doesnt matter what is posted in a thread title or thread opening post the behaviour is the same from the same people - its relentless in fact. The last thread I started proved that what you suggest does not work.

Then you have thread on a specific product - how comes the forst 10 - 20 posts are not related to experience with that product - thats just self control from poster. Noone can control that, only the individuals.

Whether these people like it or not there are areas of the hobby, controversial or not that I am sure people would like to ask and talk about - but that is not allowed to happen because of the bahviour of certain people and how they post in those threads, more often than not in an insulting manner

Noone hurts my feelings or changes my opinion as I think I have proved by my sustained stance and I am about the only person to post about certain topics - but am I the only person buying these products - Of Course Not - so all these thousands of audiophiles that are also buying the products are not active in this community despite I am sure being very much aware of it. Why are they not - that is the question that needs answering

I think its a terrible thing. Go to the Bristol show there is a huge turn out - why are all those people not active on here - because I dont think it appears a very friendly place in general - well it is if you think the same way as a certain few - if you dont your called an idiot or worse. That is the sum of it.

Now if there was more content in general yes there would be some rubbish in some peoples eyes. but there also would be a lot more thats interesting to them as well.

If the ethos of the posters starts to change I think so will the amount of active users and posters and thats better for everyone. It cant be anything else

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts