Has the forum died?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

manicm

stereoman said:
I cannot notice anything "dead" here. It's full of themes , topics and new threads. Don't worry, it's not gonna die out unless it is  taken off the site.

I also suspect priorities are changing, work, family etc. It is for me.

If I was still single I'd probably have ordered an Atom or something.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
manicm said:
jonathanRD said:
nobody is indispenable.

but it needs others to 'step up to the plate'!

That's life and progress. *smile*

This is a hi-fi and leisure forum, I don't think anyone has to step up to anything. And if you really want to engage with real techies I'd suggest other forums. Naim has a few people for starters.

Life moves on, and so do people. Maybe they are re-charging their batteries.

I think the forum would go very stale if the same posters dominated the forums. I'm just saying that the introduction of new members is healthy, and encourage the lurkers to get involved more.

Hopefully your 'techies' comment is a general one, as personally I have no interest in mixing in techie circles *smile*

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
manicm said:
jonathanRD said:
nobody is indispenable.

That's life and progress. *smile*

This is a hi-fi and leisure forum, I don't think anyone has to step up to anything. And if you really want to engage with real techies I'd suggest other forums. Naim has a few people for starters.

I think the forum would go very stale if the same posters dominated the forums. I'm just saying that the introduction of new members is healthy, and encourage the lurkers to get involved more. 

Hopefully your 'techies' comment is a general one, as personally I have no interest in mixing in techie circles *smile*
Same here.

manicm

jonathanRD said:
manicm said:
jonathanRD said:
nobody is indispenable.

Hopefully your 'techies' comment is a general one, as personally I have no interest in mixing in techie circles *smile*

Misunderstood you then, in which case I totally agree.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
manicm said:
jonathanRD said:
nobody is indispenable.

Interesting post on this thread so far.

It reflects the modern world very well, a world that is increasingly technical, yet the distain for anyone "techie" seems to increase by the day.

As a somewhat older person, I find the lack of even the most basic education in any science or mathematics based subject quite disturbing. It is considered 'nerdish' for anyone to have any kind of competence in such matters and while this can be laughed off as trivial or amusing in many cases it is occasionally quite important.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
jonathanRD said:

Interesting post on this thread so far.

It reflects the modern world very well, a world that is increasingly technical, yet the distain for anyone "techie" seems to increase by the day.

As a somewhat older person, I find the lack of even the most basic education in any science or mathematics based subject quite disturbing. It is considered 'nerdish' for anyone to have any kind of competence in such matters and while this can be laughed off as trivial or amusing in many cases it is occasionally quite important.

Just to clarify further, I have no interest in reading or getting into in-depth debates on techincal issues. That's not to say that I am not interested in the technical side or science in general, and I have learnt a lot of technical stuff from reading this forum. There just comes a tipping point where I will stop reading (or not start reading) threads that decend into the depths of science. I'd rather listen to some music *smile*

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Electro said:
I think if I had joined this forum sometime in the last year I wouldn't have stayed long.

When I joined this forum I did so to talk to like minded people with a similar interest and maybe pick up some good ideas along the way and it was a pleasurable place to be.

The greatest gift this forum has given me is the discovery of new music to listen to suggested by others on the 'what are you listening' to threads and I am very thankful. *i-m_so_happy*

Now there is just too much infighting and pontification that chases most of the newbies away, you only have to look at the number of first time posters that ask a question and are never seen again !

As to the hardware we have never had it so good, there is so much superb equipment to choose from at very reasonable prices we are spoilt for choice .

The problem for HiFi in general is the lack of time to sit down and listen to music on a dedicated system and enjoy the music, the pressure on time is far greater now than in the past, many people live to work and work to live so there is very little free quality time to do the thing they enjoy, they would rather spend what little time they have with their family.

It is just another symptom of the general quality of life being eroded away bit by bit and people becomming less tolereant and angry on a subconscious level.

Imo of course *smile* .

I echo those sentiments too.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Where the cap fits this morning!

I've learnt a lot from this forum over the years. I've contributed and once or twice made a comment that was factually wrong and was corrected pretty quickly - that's fair enough, and I learnt to be sure of my facts before posting. I think you need some confidence to post frequently for fear of other posters challenging what you say. Some of us are more thick skinned than others, and some are more adept at using the 'right words'.

But this morning, in other threads there are challenges being made that IMO will have the following affect;

Make the poster being challenged consider their continued contribution to the forum,

Make new members (and those that just lurk) very wary of posting anything at all.

So we all have a responsibility to consider the content of our posts, otherwise nobody will want to stick their head above the parapet to get shot at.

And then we start asking has the forum died and where has everyone gone?

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
The problem with this forum for me is that the life and joy has been sucked out of ownership of anything that isn't either:

1. Cheap.

2. Active.

3. Digital.

As an owner of relatively expensive passive speakers, a Valve Amp, a Devialet and having an interest in turntables and the design and aesthetics of high end kit, any attempt at a discussion or mention of most of these items is summarilty dismissed/ridiculed by the usual few who seem determined to reduce everything to its lowest common denominator.

As I've said before (see 'Nu Vista CD Player - any good?' thread), this is a hobby and as such aren't we supposed to be able to enjoy exotica, much like car enthusiasts do?

Is it any wonder the more entertaining posters are staying away?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
The problem with this forum for me is that the life and joy has been sucked out of ownership of anything that isn't either:

1. Cheap.

2. Active.

3. Digital.

As an owner of relatively expensive passive speakers, a Valve Amp, a Devialet and having an interest in turntables and the design and aesthetics of high end kit, any attempt at a discussion or mention of most of these items is summarilty dismissed/ridiculed by the usual few who seem determined to reduce everything to its lowest common denominator.

As I've said before (see 'Nu Vista CD Player - any good?' thread), this is a hobby and as such aren't we supposed to be able to enjoy exotica, much like car enthusiasts do?

Is it any wonder the more entertaining posters are staying away?

Off topic but I just went back to valve for my pre-amp. I am still using solid state for power. Full circle 12 months after moving away from valves in favour of solid state. Best change I have made in a while.

manicm said:
stereoman said:
I cannot notice anything "dead" here. It's full of themes , topics and new threads. Don't worry, it's not gonna die out unless it is taken off the site.

I also suspect priorities are changing, work, family etc. It is for me.

If I was still single I'd probably have ordered an Atom or something.

It's funny how marriage puts a whole new outlook on future plans isn't it. That and the appearance of a little one meant relocation of my hifi and a complete rethink on what was now needed to suit my new listening room. ;-)

The reinstatement of the Search Box would certainly invigorate this forum and perhaps stop some of the repetitive questions.

D

Deleted member 2457

What's current sales of the mag like because they were down I believe?

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:

1. Cheap

2. Active

3. Digital.

I hear what you are saying and sort of agree. But you have to admit cheap, active and digital is where the industry is heading and the quality of products that we are seeing and hearing nowadays is pretty good. There is no harm in pointing that out to those that think that hifi has to be esoteric and expensive, but if esoteric and expensive is what you want then it's OK to go for it with open eyes, ears and wallets.

What I dislike on this forum is the attitude of some posters that don't present their opinions as an alternative experience that one might want to consider, but rather some kind of truth that if not followed, then you must be sort of an idiot or in denial. Most people just want a decent bit of kit that gives them pleasure. Even if they have their repective merits, not everyone wants giant vintage speakers in their living room, speakers that you plug into the mains, DIY electronic kits, or something that you can order off t'internet from China.
PS Regarding the forum ... it does feel a less than pleasant experience at times. Some governance or enthusiastic interjection from the owners is missing from this site, and a more obvious presence from moderators wouldn't go amiss. People like Cno etc. did a great job of keeping things ticking along which is why when they are not here they are missed.

D

Deleted member 2457

nopiano said:
gel said:
What's current sales of the mag like because they were down I believe?
Can understand subscribers like me being a bit miffed to see a review on Facebook only to get the mag a week later... Social media and print haven't quite found how to work together, methinks.
Oh dear. Doesn't that just happen every month on here anyway?

shadders

tino said:
Infiniteloop said:

1. Cheap

2. Active

3. Digital.

Even if they have their repective merits, not everyone wants giant vintage speakers in their living room, speakers that you plug into the mains, DIY electronic kits, or something that you can order off t'internet from China.
Hi,

Actives do seem to becoming more popular, so plugging into mains, is really a must. The giant vintage speakers - only seen one thread on this, and did let me know about compression drivers, which I was not aware existed. With DIY, these are interesting, as new suppliers or modules are always interesting, and can allow you to save money, and help others start up a business. We need these type of additions to keep the discussion diverse and interesting, and I have not really seen that many on DIY. Not seen a dedicated thread to DIY, but there may be one recent.

I enjoy reading about other brands that are not mentioned in the hifi press, just to balance the perspective on what is possible and available.

Regards,

Shadders.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
shadders said:
Actives do seem to becoming more popular, so plugging into mains, is really a must. The giant vintage speakers - only seen one thread on this, and did let me know about compression drivers, which I was not aware existed. With DIY, these are interesting, as new suppliers or modules are always interesting, and can allow you to save money, and help others start up a business. We need these type of additions to keep the discussion diverse and interesting, and I have not really seen that many on DIY. Not seen a dedicated thread to DIY, but there may be one recent.

I enjoy reading about other brands that are not mentioned in the hifi press, just to balance the perspective on what is possible and available.

It's not necessarily what's said on this forum - diversity and information (and humour) is always welcome - it's sometimes how it's said ... you will find examples on the forum of opinions and behaviour that are quite off putting.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Thirteen more responses - from members who really seem to care about the forum - just since I last looked at this thread this morning.

I think rumours of it's death are greatly exaggerated.

Yes there could be more regular involvement from the WHF? staff.

shadders

tino said:
shadders said:

It's not necessarily what's said on this forum - diversity and information (and humour) is always welcome - it's sometimes how it's said ... you will find examples on the forum of opinions and behaviour that are quite off putting.
Hi,

Yes, sometimes there is perhaps antagonism between people, besides the blatant winding up of others. I don't think it is that bad, opinions are varied, which I think is ok. The forum on the whole is ok, I have scanned a few other forums, and there is not the vitriol or disdainful denegration against people here, as with other forums, although there may be a history.

Regards,

Shadders.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
What this forum misses and lacks is threads where it's positive only. Where people share their experiences openly and freely without others jumping in deliberately to be sarcastic antagonistic or rude even if the topic is controversial in their eyes or the don't believe in what is being discussed.

The fact that all these types of threads ends up in argument it's an instant turn off to people who might otherwise post and get involved in one then another thread and so on.

They also wont search and find threads on here full of opinion and individual advice - they may see 2 posts like it then 99 in argument.

The forum should be a hive of positive experiences that are shared. These positive experiences can then be explored by others to see if it helps them along the way.

But it's the opposite it's mostly the same few people allowing only the same limited conversations and opinions.

So if your into hifi why would you come here for anything

Very few posts on here are about really trying to push sound quality standards at home.

You would expect it to be full of enthusiastic individuals that scream and shout about improvements they make even if only as small as 1%.
This type of forum content can be achieved in so many ways but I hardly ever read anything inspirational on here that makes me want to try what's been written that would enhance my interest in the hobby as a whole. Who cares if people are spending money on the hobby that's them being interested in it and that's great!

That's sorely missing from such a great place for it imo.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
What this forum misses and lacks is threads where it's positive only. Where people share their experiences openly and freely without others jumping in deliberately to be sarcastic antagonistic or rude even if the topic is controversial in their eyes or the don't believe in what is being discussed.

The fact that all these types of threads ends up in argument it's an instant turn off to people who might otherwise post and get involved in one then another thread and so on.

They also wont search and find threads on here full of opinion and individual advice - they may see 2 posts like it then 99 in argument.

The forum should be a hive of positive experiences that are shared. These positive experiences can then be explored by others to see if it helps them along the way.

But it's the opposite it's mostly the same few people allowing only the same limited conversations and opinions.

Very few posts on here are about really trying to push sound quality standards at home.

You would expect it to be full of enthusiastic individuals that scream and shout about improvements they make even if only as small as 1%. This type of forum content can be achieved in so many ways but I hardly ever read anything inspirational on here that makes me want to try what's been written that would enhance my interest in the hobby as a whole. Who cares if people are spending money on the hobby that's them being interested in it and that's great!

Well said.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:

You would expect it to be full of enthusiastic individuals that scream and shout about improvements they make even if only as small as 1%. This type of forum content can be achieved in so many ways but I hardly ever read anything inspirational on here that makes me want to try what's been written that would enhance my interest in the hobby as a whole. Who cares if people are spending money on the hobby that's them being interested in it and that's great!

That is a nice idea but the downside of your suggestion is that anyone can write a load of absolute drivel without anything being challenged. This to me is an important part of the hi-fi debate but sadly, as with so many things today, it is virtually impossible to offer an opinion that does not allign with the current established 'groupthink', without causing 'offence'.

Now, I actually enjoy reading about people's experiences, finding out about what was tried and what works and does not work for them is fun. Sometimes I find ideas and suggestions that I take away from this and am able to investigate in my own setup, which is of course the point.

On the other hand, I quickly get bored with some of the nonsense that is written by those who slavishly follow the 'established' views, proclaiming 'night and day' differences that are, shall we say, unlikely.

Pointing out flaws in the way such evaluations are made can make for a lively debate if the parties are open to discussion but all to often the discussion is shut down by cries of "well if you can't hear it you must be deaf/have a crap system" on the one side and the "if it wasn't double blind it means nothing" on the other.

All I want to hear is what you tried, how you tried it and what you heard. Suggestions can then be made as to what else is worth trying or how the methodology can be altered to confirm (or deny) the results.

This is the kind of 'positive attitude' that should be encouraged in my view.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
On the other hand, I quickly get bored with some of the nonsense that is written by those who slavishly follow the 'established' views, proclaiming 'night and day' differences that are, shall we say, unlikely.

Adjective limitation is the issue we suffer from in this regard.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts