• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Has Roy Gandy lost his marbles?

AlbaBrown

New member
Jun 29, 2012
14
0
0
I'm normally laid back and don't get agitated easily but, having seen this video from Rega http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EfvHl8-88U

I felt that Roy Gandy has maybe lost his marbles and it made me rather grumpy!

Quotes such as "I'm the only turntable designer I know, and I feel quite lonely" - err what about Arthur Khoubessarian (Pink Triangle/Funk Firm), William Firebaugh (Well Temperered) to name but two.

And how exactly has the design of Rega turntable really moved forward!!!? (Many would argue they've gone the opposite way from an engineering quality point of view!)

Plus I spat out my cous cous when he claimed that rotational speed and accuracy was crucial to accurate reproduction! I've never seen a Rega setting the world alight in that regard.

Plus a £30,000 deck with a pimped up RB300 and three noise inducing drive belts....

At least his speaker drive units are still very musical, oh hang on their based on Royds.....

Rant over, back to the cup of tea.
 

floyd droid

New member
Sep 5, 2008
39
0
0
Nooooooooooooo Nooooooooooooo. You may need a tin hat alongside your cup of tea in a minute. I can hear the thunder of the regafanboy brigade coming up over the ridge as I type.

Time to sit back and watch for me.
 

stevebrock

New member
Nov 13, 2009
183
0
0
:)

I am saying nothing nothing, but if I knew now what I did 6 months ago I think I may of taken a different route on Vinyl

Excellent speakers though!
 

matthewpiano

Well-known member
Nov 23, 2007
447
271
19,270
I like my RP3-Elys2, but I completely agree that fine speed accuracy isn't Rega's strong point. In fact, the Thorens TD150MkII AB I used to have was far better than the Rega in this respect and it was 40+ years old.
 

mitch65

Well-known member
Dec 16, 2003
52
0
18,540
stevebrock said:
:)

I am saying nothing nothing, but if I knew now what I did 6 months ago I think I may of taken a different route on Vinyl

Excellent speakers though!
are we talking different cartridge or different deck route? ;)
 

stevebrock

New member
Nov 13, 2009
183
0
0
mitch65 said:
stevebrock said:
:)

I am saying nothing nothing, but if I knew now what I did 6 months ago I think I may of taken a different route on Vinyl

Excellent speakers though!
are we talking different cartridge or different deck route? ;)
Cartridge definately!
 

stevebrock

New member
Nov 13, 2009
183
0
0
But I did get my RP6 cheap!

BTW found the cosmetic imperction on my RP6!

Underneath someone at Rega has put too much Torque on the bolt for the cable clip and the resin/gloss finsh has cracked.
 

chebby

Well-known member
Jun 2, 2008
1,233
5
19,195
floyd droid said:
plastic penguin said:
Behind yoooooou. >) :twisted:
Be nice if this spices up a tad , bit quiet down here today. Well inbetween the window rattling that is.

:pray:
Nah. The Rega fanboy'ism was getting boring. Now the Rega fanboy baiting is getting boring too.

This is only happening because the AVI boys have left a bit of a vacuum lately whilst they are away being re-trained for the new ADM5 launch. ("DACs bad, TV headphone outputs good ... DACs bad, TV headphone outputs good .. DACs bad, TV headphone outputs good ..." etc.)
 

plastic penguin

Well-known member
Apr 28, 2008
1,725
147
19,870
stevebrock said:
Think I might side with the allies, don my beret & stripey top and eat some snails
Oh no, not the scout badge again. :twisted:

Ging gang goolie goolie goolie goolie whatcha,

Ging gang goo, Ging gang goo,

Ging gang goolie goolie goolie goolie whatcha,

Ging gang goo, Ging gang goo,

Ging gang goolie goolie goolie goolie watcha, Ging gang goo, ging gang goo.
 

chebby

Well-known member
Jun 2, 2008
1,233
5
19,195
plastic penguin said:
Oh no, not the scout badge again. :twisted:

Ging gang goolie goolie goolie goolie whatcha,

Ging gang goo, Ging gang goo,

Ging gang goolie goolie goolie goolie whatcha,

Ging gang goo, Ging gang goo,

Ging gang goolie goolie goolie goolie watcha, Ging gang goo, ging gang goo.
Careful PP. I'm not sure that's even legal anymore.
 

relocated

New member
Jan 20, 2012
74
0
0
chebby said:
floyd droid said:
plastic penguin said:
Behind yoooooou. >) :twisted:
Be nice if this spices up a tad , bit quiet down here today. Well inbetween the window rattling that is.

:pray:
Nah. The Rega fanboy'ism was getting boring. Now the Rega fanboy baiting is getting boring too.

This is only happening because the AVI boys have left a bit of a vacuum lately whilst they are away being re-trained for the new ADM5 launch. ("DACs bad, TV headphone outputs good ... DACs bad, TV headphone outputs good .. DACs bad, TV headphone outputs good ..." etc.)
Oh Chebby! You are SO amusing. You have fair lightened my day. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
 

plastic penguin

Well-known member
Apr 28, 2008
1,725
147
19,870
chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
Oh no, not the scout badge again. :twisted:

Ging gang goolie goolie goolie goolie whatcha,

Ging gang goo, Ging gang goo,

Ging gang goo, Ging gang goo,

Ging gang goolie goolie goolie goolie watcha, Ging gang goo, ging gang goo.
Careful PP. I'm not sure that's even legal anymore.
Rubbing two sticks together and having a sing-song illegal?
 

chebby

Well-known member
Jun 2, 2008
1,233
5
19,195
relocated said:
Oh Chebby! You are SO amusing. You have fair lightened my day. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
It proved there's always one of you on a watching brief here.

(That was exceptionally fast relocated. Well done. Full report to JC now. Chop chop!)
 

stevebrock

New member
Nov 13, 2009
183
0
0
chebby said:
relocated said:
Oh Chebby! You are SO amusing. You have fair lightened my day. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
It proved there's always one of you on a watching brief here.

(That was exceptionally fast relocated. Well done. Full report to JC now. Chop chop!)
funny
 

Hi-FiOutlaw

Well-known member
Apr 20, 2011
236
0
18,790
...I'm on HOLIDAYS...

But always said that i didn't like Rega cartridges and speakers, by the way i find the speakers, for the quality they have, to expencive, you can do much better with the RS3 or RS5 budget... IMO

Ok, back to holidays... :)
 

chebby

Well-known member
Jun 2, 2008
1,233
5
19,195
What really gets me is their insistence on making stuff in Britain. If only they farmed it all out to China they could then raise prices, sack a bunch of loyal, skilled workers and afford to buy in an executive to really #### things up!
 

floyd droid

New member
Sep 5, 2008
39
0
0
chebby said:
What really gets me is their insistence on making stuff in Britain.
Who Chebby ?. I drifted a bit here trying to work out how many power plugs are needed for a basic active set up , no idea about that stuff at all as you may have gathered.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts