Has anyone got a sniff on what 4K OLEDs 65-inch TVs might be next year?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure we'll get detailed information on next year's models ahead of January's CES.

The question you really seem to be asking, though, is "how soon can I buy my next TV?"

Having been dissauded from buying this year, it sounds like you're planning your next fix. Perhaps, as BB has observed, this is evidence of onomania.

I say all of the above only out of interest in your well-being.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
The question you really seem to be asking, though, is "how soon can I buy my next TV?"

I'm going to hijack this thread and I'll pretend to be Gel, then perhaps he won't actually need to buy anything!

How soon can I buy my next TV? In the January sales. But it won't be OLED, it'll be plain old edge-lit LED / LCD, how boring. And not 4K, just good old Full HD or 1080p, even more boring. But 75 inches, exciting! And less than £2,100, also exciting! Lastly, unlike anyone with onomania, I'll be keeping it for a long time, along with my other existing four tellys, the two oldest of which date back to 2008 and 2009 and still look good!

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
And is buying a TV next year alright for future proofing yourself?

I'm not sure why you ask, because you know the answer, but if you are bent on buying something next year, just make sure that it ticks all the boxes in Mr Steve Withers's excellent summary article, which I know that you have previously seen.

https://www.avforums.com/article/top-10-features-your-next-tv-must-have.12027

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
I'm not sure we'll get detailed information on next year's models ahead of January's CES.

Having been dissauded from buying this year, it sounds like you're planning your next fix. Perhaps, as BB has observed, this is evidence of onomania.

I seem to be suffering from low mood too and am buying for a boost in energy I think. I was going to call my care co-ordinator in about an hours time to see if he could suggest some ideas. I bought a Pioneer 500a yesterday but then cancelled it later yesterday!

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:
And is buying a TV next year alright for future proofing yourself?

I'm not sure why you ask, because you know the answer, but if you are bent on buying something next year, just make sure that it ticks all the boxes in Mr Steve Withers's excellent summary article, which I know that you have previously seen.

https://www.avforums.com/article/top-10-features-your-next-tv-must-have.12027
so the LG 65ef950v gets the go ahead?

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
strapped for cash said:

I'm going to hijack this thread and I'll pretend to be Gel, then perhaps he won't actually need to buy anything!

How soon can I buy my next TV? In the January sales. But it won't be OLED, it'll be plain old edge-lit LED / LCD, how boring. And not 4K, just good old Full HD or 1080p, even more boring. But 75 inches, exciting! And less than £2,100, also exciting! Lastly, unlike anyone with onomania, I'll be keeping it for a long time, along with my other existing four tellys, the two oldest of which date back to 2008 and 2009 and still look good!

*ROFL*

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
gel said:
strapped for cash said:

I seem to be suffering from low mood too and am buying for a boost in energy I think. I was going to call my care co-ordinator in about an hours time to see if he could suggest some ideas. I bought a Pioneer 500a yesterday but then cancelled it later yesterday!

mate, get booked in now!

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
simonlewis said:
Son_of_SJ said:
strapped for cash said:

*ROFL*

simon, you are a complete knob! You are so inapropriate, it's un true! Why is this funny!?

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Series1boy said:
simonlewis said:
Son_of_SJ said:
strapped for cash said:

*ROFL*

simon, you are a complete knob! You are so inapropriate, it's un true! Why is this funny!?

Apologies, Son_of_SJ's reply did make me laugh though.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Further to my post above, perhaps forum members could take note of Gel's circumstances and refrain from encouraging his impulse purchases (this mostly happens anyway).

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
I seem to be suffering from low mood too and am buying for a boost in energy I think. I was going to call my care co-ordinator in about an hours time to see if he could suggest some ideas.

Seriously, how about cutting up your credit card?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
I bought a Pioneer 500a yesterday but then cancelled it later yesterday!

I think that tells us all we need to know, mate.

I also think you need to develop a strategy to prevent impulse purchases. CBT, if available, may be effective. (Of course I'm not qualified to suggest an appropriate course of action.)

As a simple measure, you can run purchases past forum members and defer clicking "buy" until you've worked through your options (you kind of do this already).

Forum members who are familiar with your circumstances will always try to steer you well. This strategy is not, I would stress, a substitute for more professional support.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
simonlewis said:
Series1boy said:
simonlewis said:

Apologies, Son_of_SJ's reply did make me laugh though.

Gosh, that's news to me! But it's good to spread some happiness on a grey November Friday. Let's all hope that Gel starts to feel happy too, WITHOUT buying anything else!

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
gel said:
I bought a Pioneer 500a yesterday but then cancelled it later yesterday!

I think that tells us all we need to know, mate.

I also think you need to develop a strategy to prevent impulse purchases. CBT, if available, may be effective. (Of course I'm not qualified to suggest an appropriate course of action.)

As a simple measure, you can run purchases past forum members and defer clicking "buy" until you've worked through your options (you kind of do this already).

Forum members who are familiar with your circumstances will always try to steer you well. This strategy is not, I would stress, a substitute for more professional support.
My care-coordinator said to go for a walk and get some exercise and go to the cinema this weekend. I am going to do it but am not excited about either event. He is then going to call me Monday lunch time and see how am I going. It feels like I have a big dark cloud over my head.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Exercise is good for the soul Gel. It incepreases your endorphins (if that's how you spell it), basically can have a long term effect and make you more positive.

I love my mountain bike and it helps relieve the stresses at work and relaxes me more mate. Although, I think it will take real strength to refrain from buying new stuff. But you can do it mate, it's a challenge that can be over come.

I suppose this and other forums don't help you what with all the new tech coming out, but you could keep putting stuff on here re buying new tech, and we will all try and help you by saying NO! :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Why does every shopping energy pick-me-up have to be a 2500 quid purchase? Other 'normal' OCD sufferers buy records, stamps etc. and collect bit by bit.

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
Exercise is good for the soul Gel. It incepreases your endorphins (if that's how you spell it), basically can have a long term effect and make you more positive.

I love my mountain bike and it helps relieve the stresses at work and relaxes me more mate. Although, I think it will take real strength to refrain from buying new stuff. But you can do it mate, it's a challenge that can be over come.

I suppose this and other forums don't help you what with all the new tech coming out, but you could keep putting stuff on here re buying new tech, and we will all try and help you by saying NO! :)
Cheers mate.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
My care-coordinator said to go for a walk and get some exercise and go to the cinema this weekend. I am going to do it but am not excited about either event. He is then going to call me Monday lunch time and see how am I going. It feels like I have a big dark cloud over my head.

All good advice.

Those sound like negative symptoms to me (again I don't have expertise, though a good amount of second-hand experience). Some exercise and a change of surroundings may help.

And there's always tennis to watch when you're at home! Nadal vs. Ferrer was the match of the tournament so far.

I've given up hoping to see a great match live. The last three years we've been along to the O2 it's been a letdown. Last year Federer pulled out of the final (we only found this out as we entered the arena). The year before that Djokovic steamrollered Nadal.

This year we couldn't get final tickets, so we booked tickets for both Wednesday matches. Murray of course tanked and Ferrer was only competitive for one set. There was some nice shotmaking in the Wawrinka vs. Ferrer match, I guess. The 2012 Djokovic vs. Federer final was also a privilege to watch, even if we were robbed of a deciding set.

Anyway, stay well mate and know that you can always vent on here if it helps! *smile*

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
gel said:

All good advice.

Those sound like negative symptoms to me (again I don't have expertise, though a good amount of second-hand experience). Some exercise and a change of surroundings may help.

And there's always tennis to watch when you're at home! Nadal vs. Ferrer was the match of the tournament so far.

I've given up hoping to see a great match live. The last three years we've been along to the O2 it's been a letdown. Last year Federer pulled out of the final (we only found this out as we entered the arena). The year before that Djokovic steamrollered Nadal.

This year we couldn't get final tickets, so we booked tickets for both Wednesday matches. Murray of course tanked and Ferrer was only competitive for one set. There was some nice shotmaking in the Wawrinka vs. Ferrer match, I guess. The 2012 Djokovic vs. Federer final was also a privilege to watch, even if we were robbed of a deciding set.

Anyway, stay well mate and know that you can always vent on here if it helps! *smile*
Cheers mate, very helpful. Went for a walk and the fresh air was good. I have been watching the tennis on and off. I think Murray may have lost on purpose with the Davis Cup Final coming up. Saw some of the Nadal and Ferrer match today.

I have also been taking Lorazepam everyday when I am only suppose to on anxious occasions but the thing is I feel anxious all the time. But I will stop doing that now. I feel it might have put on a few pounds on me. And I went and played a bit of tennis on Monday afternoon at the Open University where there is a tennis wall and you can practice your shots but I only lasted about 25 mins and everything was acking and my face had gone bright red. Practiced a few serves on the tennis courts there and enough was enough decided to go back home again.

Waiting for a phone call from my 12 year old niece now seeing if she wants to see the new James Bond Film at the Milton Keynes Stadium Odeon. I was going for the IMAX tickets, so sound should be good. Cheers!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Cheers mate, very helpful. Went for a walk and the fresh air was good. I have been watching the tennis on and off. I think Murray may have lost on purpose with the Davis Cup Final coming up. Saw some of the Nadal and Ferrer match today.

I wouldn't blame Murray for not giving 100 percent, though I'm not saying he dumped the Nadal match, either.

I can't picture GB in the Davis Cup final again during my lifetime, and the demands the tournament places on Murray are extraordinary, physically and emotionally, and given the lack of depth in British men's tennis.

It'll be interesting to see how he performs against Wawrinka tonight.

gel said:
I have also been taking Lorazepam everyday when I am only suppose to on anxious occasions but the thing is I feel anxious all the time. But I will stop doing that now. I feel it might have put on a few pounds on me. And I went and played a bit of tennis on Monday afternoon at the Open University where there is a tennis wall and you can practice your shots but I only lasted about 25 mins and everything was acking and my face had gone bright red. Practiced a few serves on the tennis courts there and enough was enough decided to go back home again.

My brother did precisely the same with Loraz, for the same reasons. Loraz is addictive if you're not careful, so it's best to use it sparingly and only in times of acute need.

I used to be a reasonable club tennis player, though I'd imagine I'd perform about as well as you did on Monday if I picked up a racket now.

You should try to get tickets for next year's ATP World Tour Finals, which is always a good day out, even if the matches aren't the best. It's less expensive than Wimbledon (I'll never be able to afford debenture tickets) and Queens has a dumb ticket policy that means it's impossible to buy more than two seats in the same block (no good if more people fancy going along).

The O2 is also pretty handy if you're travelling from Milton Keynes.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
no matter how hard it may be for you to not buy a tv you want. if you cant manage to do something about it i can't imagine you will be happy when you have no money. imagine if you buy a tv have no money left then a new lg is announced with groundbreaking new features you wont be a very happy bunny!

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Gosh nugget2014, just as we were safely talking about something non-problematic like tennis ...... I'll miss tomorrow's semi-final between Djokovic and Nadal, I have to go to a birthday party, but I'll record it.

By the way, I don't know if people are watching the tennis on Sky, Virgin etc, but I watch on Freeview HD, and I have to say that the quality of the BBC2 HD pictures were very good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts