Has anyone, did anyone............................?

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Ferrer/Murray is on HD via FreeSat, Freeview HD and Sky HD on the Beeb, and also available on EuroSport HD on Sky

We only have Sky and I have been channel swapping to see if there is any significant difference between the two broadcasters with the same feed, and currently thinking that Eurosport is better visually (although it could be the commentary swaying me!!)

Anyone done a sweep across the quality between FreeSat/FreeView HD and the two on offer on Sky for comment on PQ??

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
the_lhc:I don't know if EurosportHD has more bandwidth for its channel but I often find their picture quality is better than other broadcasters using the same feed.

Yep, agreed.

daveh75

fayeanddavid:
Ferrer/Murray is on HD via FreeSat, Freeview HD and Sky HD on the Beeb, and also available on EuroSport HD on Sky

We only have Sky and I have been channel swapping to see if there is any significant difference between the two broadcasters with the same feed, and currently thinking that Eurosport is better visually (although it could be the commentary swaying me!!)

Anyone done a sweep across the quality between FreeSat/FreeView HD and the two on offer on Sky for comment on PQ??

Haven't watched the tennis but considering BBC/BBC One HD only broadcasts at 1440 x 1080 and uses the old DVB-S standard (which is an inefficient standard for HD broadcasts) and Eurosport HD broadcasts at 1920 x 1080 and uses the newer/more efficient DVB-S2 standard, i would expect PQ to be better on Eurosport...

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
daveh75:fayeanddavid:

Haven't watched the tennis but considering BBC/BBC One HD only broadcasts at 1440 x 1080 and uses the old DVB-S standard (which is an inefficient standard for HD broadcasts) and Eurosport HD broadcasts at 1920 x 1080 and uses the newer/more efficient DVB-S2 standard, i would expect PQ to be better on Eurosport...

Thanks daveh75

As informative as ever, and does explain a lot

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
daveh75:fayeanddavid:

Is it only the BBC that are using the DVB-S standard and it's inefficiencies, or is there a suggestion that Eurosport are the only ones doing it right?

???

daveh75

fayeanddavid:daveh75:fayeanddavid:

Is it only the BBC that are using the DVB-S standard and it's inefficiencies, or is there a suggestion that Eurosport are the only ones doing it right?

???

BBC HD, BBC1 HD, ITV1 HD (London and Meridian South regions) and Luxury Life HD (formerly Luxe HD) are all broadcast at 1440 x 1080 using DVB-S standard.

ITV1 HD (Granada and Central West regions) are broadcast at 1920 x 1080 using the DVB-S standard.

All other HD channels on Sky are broadcast at 1920 x 1080 using the DVB-S2 standard...

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
daveh75

any plans afoot, do you know, for the laggers to catch up and use 1920 x 1080 DVB-S2, seems that those that are not are providing an HD service but not full 1080i as we would like to understand it?

daveh75

fayeanddavid:
daveh75

any plans afoot, do you know, for the laggers to catch up and use 1920 x 1080 DVB-S2, seems that those that are not are providing an HD service but not full 1080i as we would like to understand it?

No idea tbh...

The problem BBC and ITV had/have is the lack of capacity on Astra 2D, which meant they had to shoehorn their HD channels on to existing transponders with SD channels, meaning they couldn't use DVB-S2.

Though the BBC no longer have this problem ,as when they had a frequency/channel re-shuffle to make room for BBC1 HD they managed to find space on other transponders for the SD channels that were sharing with BBC HD so that BBC HD/BBC1 HD now have a transponder to themselves.

Not sure why they haven't switched to using DVB-S2 now though, it may be that that particular transponder just doesn't support DVB-S2 mode or could be some other reason.

In Q2 of this year though a new satellite will be launched to provide additional capacity at 28.2E, so lets just hope that BBC/ITV acquire some capacity on it, and start providing a 'proper' HD service...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
daveh75:fayeanddavid:daveh75:fayeanddavid:

???

BBC HD, BBC1 HD, ITV1 HD (London and Meridian South regions) and Luxury Life HD (formerly Luxe HD) are all broadcast at 1440 x 1080 using DVB-S standard.

ITV1 HD (Granada and Central West regions) are broadcast at 1920 x 1080 using the DVB-S standard.

All other HD channels on Sky are broadcast at 1920 x 1080 using the DVB-S2 standard...

So if I tell my Freesat tuner I'm in either the Granada or Central West region, I'll get a higher resolution picture on ITVHD? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding...

Thanks Dave!

daveh75

strapped for cash:So if I tell my Freesat tuner I'm in either the Granada or Central West region, I'll get a higher resolution picture on ITVHD? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding...
Thanks Dave!

Yep, if you use a Granada region postcode, you'll get the higher res Granada region ITV1 HD on your epg.

Central west/Meridian South aren't available on Freesat as they're FTV/Encrypted regions, so only available on Sky...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Great. I'll give that go now.
emotion-21.gif

Thanks Dave...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
the_lhc:That does mean your BBC1 region will change as well, so you won't be able to watch your own local news.

On the main channel (i.e. 101), then yes; but all regional variations are included further down the EPG (so not really a problem from my perspective).

EDIT: though having done a retune, I'm waiting for some actual (rather than upscaled) HD content on ITV to see if there's a perceptible difference.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I don't think it's that waring. I've alread committed my regional channel number to memory. For me, at least, it's worth if it I get a higher-resolution image on ITV1HD.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts