Has anybody experience with Luxman L-505u integrated amp?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Does anybody have a Luxman L-505u or L-507u integrated amp?

I would like to share experiences as regards the above mentioned amp so that we can extract 100% of their potential.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
It depends on what speakers you want to use it with.

Take a look at the specs first: the 505 draws 210watts max, the 507 max 250watts.
Both are analogue amps and those have an efficiency of only 50%. So the 505 would only have 2 x 50 watts to feed the speakers, the 507 would have 2 x 60watts to feed the speakers.

If you plan on using sensitive speakers (lets say 90dB or more) you "could" be ok, as long as the speakers impedance doesn't drop too low.

For thoses amps price tags, I would like to be sure they can drive my speakers to their limits, and not to have the amp be the limiting factor (and blowing up my speakers because of distortion caused by the amps lack of power to make them really sing)

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I've only auditioned them. No need to worry about their ability to drive speakers, they both have enough grunt for quite difficult loads. Not sure what they retail for in the UK and elsewhere, but in Japan the 505u sells for about 1500 pounds, so they aren't really outrageously expensive.

I found them to be a slightly warm amp, very smooth and quite detailed. Very musical, certainly nothing fatiguing about about them. Effortless drive. In my auditions I thought they sounded best matched with fast, highly detailed speakers like esoteric's speakers or Fostex GX1300. Didn't sound as good with the B&Ws I heard them with.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
kevinJ said:
It depends on what speakers you want to use it with. Take a look at the specs first: the 505 draws 210watts max, the 507 max 250watts. Both are analogue amps and those have an efficiency of only 50%. So the 505 would only have 2 x 50 watts to feed the speakers...

Luxman's own specs claim 100w + 100w continuous power into 8 ohms for the L-505U.

As for your means of culculating power output, then I can see no correlation between power consumed and peak or maximum power output.

For example, the AVI 9.1Ts are quoted as 325 watts per channel (250 watts for bass/mid + 75 watts for tweeter) X 2 = 650 watts max in total. They use 'analogue' or class a/b amps so, by your equation, they should draw 1300 watts from the mains! With 50 percent efficiency - by your argument - they should be dissipating up to 650 watts as heat during dynamic peaks! AVI claim 40 watts total 'draw' from the mains at normal domestic listening levels (in their FAQ) so - given that this same disparity exists on the specification pages for a lot of major companies amplifier products - something else must be going on. (Or they are all guilty of lying, or they are all breaking the fundamental laws of physics!)

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
kevinJ said:
It depends on what speakers you want to use it with. Take a look at the specs first: the 505 draws 210watts max, the 507 max 250watts. Both are analogue amps and those have an efficiency of only 50%. So the 505 would only have 2 x 50 watts to feed the speakers...

Luxman's own specs claim 100w + 100w continuous power into 8 ohms for the L-505U.

As for your means of culculating power output, then I can see no correlation between power consumed and peak or maximum power output.

For example, the AVI 9.1Ts are quoted as 325 watts per channel (250 watts for bass/mid + 75 watts for tweeter) X 2 = 650 watts max in total. They use 'analogue' or class a/b amps so, by your equation, they should draw 1300 watts from the mains! With 50 percent efficiency - by your argument - they should be dissipating up to 650 watts as heat during dynamic peaks! AVI claim 40 watts total 'draw' from the mains at normal domestic listening levels (in their FAQ) so - given that this same disparity exists on the specification pages for a lot of major companies amplifier products - something else must be going on. (Or they are all guilty of lying, or they are all breaking the fundamental laws of physics!)

Chebby, you might want to google how an amp works and the laws of physics that apply to it because I don't feel like posting my electronics handbooks here ;-)

But it is a verifiable fact that the efficiency of a class AB amp is about 50%, class D amps can get up to 90%, and class A is about 25-50% efficient. Class AB and D only draw the power that they need for a certain output level. Class A always uses it max power, even if you only need 1 watt to the speakers, and all unneeded power will be dissipated as heat.

The AVI you say can very well be using only 40 watts of electrical power when listening at "normal domestic levels", but it'll never put out those 325watts if they didn't install a power supply that can deliver the needed electrical power.

I'm sure that the Luxman's poweramp "can" deliver 100x2 watts, IF it would have a powersupply that is strong enough. 210 or 250watts will not get anywhere near that kind of continuous power(did you see what was noted next to the draw in the spec sheet?).

And every company uses different ways of getting to their acclaimed power ratings. Onkyo measures it when only one channel is driven, Denon measures two channels, but changes the THD when giving specs for driving 4ohm speakers, NAD measures a minimal power when all channels are driven, other brands only give a peak power output,...
Why? The more watts an amp has, the better it sells.

To the OP,
You might want to check some more amps in that price range. Harman Kardon has a nice one, Nad, Naim, Rotel,... All great sounding amps.

A

Anonymous

Hi folks! Thx for all those replies!

First of all, I'm not in doubt about purchasing one of them (505u or 507u). I've already purchased the model L-505u.

Moreover, as reagards power, it's not an issue at all. The rated power (100wpc at 8Ω) is very conservative actually, following Luxman's tradition. I reckon real power is more than 130wpc taking into account one of my former amps, a 23kg japanese tank Sansui AU-α707KX which is rated 130wpc at 8Ω. Believe me, L-505u outperforms the referred amp by far concerning power. Anyway, I'm not concerned about it, as my current loudspeakes are reasonably easy drive (Monitor Audio Studio 6) and I don't plan to replace them by a low sensitive ones in future.

Going straight to the point, I would like to know from people who has Luxman's amp experiences with regard to partnering. Which DAC/CD player, loudspeakers an cables bring best results?

A

Anonymous

I use an old SA-8260 Marantz. It sounds quite good with my Luxman. I/Cs are MIT MI-330 Shotgun. I also tried VDH D102 III. The VDH is sweeter sound. The MIT gives a much wider soundstage and forward too.

A

Anonymous

Has anyone compared it (the Luxman L-505u) to a Jolida 801, 1000 or to a Vincent 150/300 watt intergrated.

How is it for deep bass? Dynamics? Harmonic detail? Lack of glare and treble harshness?

I have a Jolida 801 and have compared it extensively to the Jolida 1000, to the Vincent 150/300 and a 120 W NAD that I have.

The 1000 and Vincent have a more powerful deeper controlled bass vs the 801. The NAD goes deeper/smoother than the 801 but is not nearly as dynamic. The 801 and the 1000 are more detailed and harmonically rich than the Vincent. The Vincent outperfoms the NAD in all respects. All of these units drive me crazy for lack of balance control and lack of mono switch.

I bought anoher pair of speakers, not because they are better top to bottom but because they are better in the mid range.

They are the Marting Logan ESLs. NOTE: for the "power" discussion: The Jolida 801 70 w RMS per channel (8 and 4 ohms) powers these ESLs as loud as they can go, to their clipping point which is quite loud in my 12 my 15 foot room. Where as the NAD 120 W (with supposidly close to 300 W peak into 2 ohms) actually shuts down even when playing at moderately loud level.

The NAD can NOT handle the impedence (capacitance?) cureve of the ESLs. However, it can play my dual 8" three ways and my BG Z-62s which also are 4 ohm speakers, both, no problem very loud. The 70 W Jolida sound better and very loud into all of my speakers. I just want smoother deeper bass, mono switch, balance control and I have no problem with using tone controls on certain tracks.

A

Anonymous

It's a dead thread but I would like to share some more info.

If someone still doubts L-505u is capable of producing 100wpc, I showed its EI transformer to a technician recently. It's rated 440VA, but according to him, taking into account its massive size and weight, it's a very conservative rating. The real power of the transformer is about 20% higher. So, the L-505 is likely capable of be outputing even more power than the claimed values.

My amplifier is fully broken in now. It's a slightly warm amplifier (never sounds fatiguing); with very silky detailed midrange; highs are open and bright, but never sounds harsh; basslines are heavy and fast, and; it does sound bodied! If you like thin performers, it's not your "cup of tea". Its sounds is more bodied than Accuphase, but is thinner and much more detailed than old McIntosh amplifiers (MA6500).

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Ed plays drums changed from an ATC intergrated to the Luxman 505U and uses Harbeth P3 ESR speakers with satisfying results... hopefully he'll put in an appearance and enlarge on his experience.

A

Anonymous

You've got a very nice amplifier. I adore class A output amplifiers.

Macspur said:
Hi,

Ed plays drums changed from an ATC intergrated to the Luxman 505U and uses Harbeth P3 ESR speakers with satisfying results... hopefully he'll put in an appearance and enlarge on his experience.

A

Anonymous

Yes, Luxman launched a newer model for Japanese domestic market: Luxman L-505uX. It's more powerful, uses a more massive transformer (540VA) and some more sophisticated parts have been implemented, such as schotkky barrier diodes on the retification bridge. Anyway, price has also been raised. Luxman L-505u reference retail price was 225.000 yen and L-505uX is 238.000 yen.

Anyway, the new model is still not available outside Japan.

http://www.luxman.co.jp/product/ia_l-505ux.html

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Audio Maniac said:
Yes, Luxman launched a newer model for Japanese domestic market: Luxman L-505uX. It's more powerful, uses a more massive transformer (540VA) and some more sophisticated parts have been implemented, such as schotkky barrier diodes on the retification bridge. Anyway, price has also been raised. Luxman L-505u reference retail price was 225.000 yen and L-505uX is 238.000 yen.

Despite what the maker gives as a pricing guideline, average retail price appears to be about 224,000 yen here at the moment. I've been trying to avoid listening to it or the 505u, it removes the upgrade temptation.

I recently heard the L-590 AII with some B&W 805D, and it sounded absolutely stunning. Best thing I've heard in a while. I do like the class A sound.

A

Anonymous

If you have bullets, a Sugden's class A power will bring more dynamics and bass control. A nearly perfect amplification system.

Macspur said:
Audio Maniac said:
You've got a very nice amplifier. I adore class A output amplifiers.

Yes, the best I've ever owned. Once you've heard Class A it's very hard to listen to anything else.

Cheers

Mac

A

Anonymous

What amplifier do you own currently?

My previuos amplifier was a Creek 5250SE. It's a very decent model, but Luxman L-505u is far better. No comparison at all!

I used to own a Sansui Au-alpha707KX (a Japanese 90's high-end model) as well. It's also a significant upgrade over the Creek, but Luxman excels the later with a more transparent midrange. It's also tonally richer and sounds more refined on top end (better resolution and more extended highs).

Frankly, if I lived in UK I wouldn't spend 3200 pounds on a Lux L-505. At this price there may be better cost-benefit options in the UK, like ATC SIA-2 150 or Sugden IA-4.

ID. said:
Audio Maniac said:

Despite what the maker gives as a pricing guideline, average retail price appears to be about 224,000 yen here at the moment. I've been trying to avoid listening to it or the 505u, it removes the upgrade temptation.

I recently heard the L-590 AII with some B&W 805D, and it sounded absolutely stunning. Best thing I've heard in a while. I do like the class A sound.

A

Anonymous

What amplifier do you own currently?

My previuos amplifier was a Creek 5250SE. It's a very decent model, but Luxman L-505u is far better. No comparison at all!

I used to own a Sansui Au-alpha707KX (a Japanese 90's high-end model) as well. It's also a significant upgrade over the Creek, but Luxman excels the later with a more transparent midrange. It's also tonally richer and sounds more refined on top end (better resolution and more extended highs).

Frankly, if I lived in UK I wouldn't spend 3200 pounds on a Lux L-505. At this price there may be better cost-benefit options in the UK, like ATC SIA-2 150 or Sugden IA-4.

ID. said:
Audio Maniac said:

edplaysdrums42

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:

Oops..... :oops: Sorry i'm a bit late on this one..not sure how i missed it?

I actually have the Luxman 550 and the Harbeth C7's and i'm very pleased with them. Its superb at lower volumes which was what i was looking for and i love retro look of the amp.

The ATC SIA2-150 is a fantastic amp though and built like a tank and can thoroughly recommend it.

Cheers, Ed :)

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
edplaysdrums42 said:
Macspur said:

I actually have the Luxman 550 and the Harbeth C7's and i'm very pleased with them. Its superb at lower volumes which was what i was looking for and i love retro look of the amp.

The ATC SIA2-150 is a fantastic amp though and built like a tank and can thoroughly recommend it.

Oops sorry Ed... knew it was Harbeth and Luxman, for some reason thought it was those models.

Main thing is, you're enjoying the results.

Cheers

Mac

A

Anonymous

Your Lux sounds nice at lower volumes because it's a class A amplifier.

edplaysdrums42 said:
Macspur said:

TRENDING THREADS