Harsh sound

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Can anyone help with suggestions on how to enjoy listening to music. Currently I find the sound from my system to be harsh and not warm with poor bass extension. The treble can be really cutting. System is Arcam CD 192, Aram Alpha 10, Arcam Alpha 10P, Linn Axis with Akito and Goldring 1042 and Linn Keilidhs. The speakers are bi amped and bi wired with Linn K400 cables, interconnects are Chord Chamelion Sliver Plus.

I have tried various speakers positions, but this can create overblown and boomy bass when close to a back wall.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Burdy (and to 2012).

There is something strange going on if your system sounds harsh.

- Is it as bad with both CD and Vinyl?
- Can you describe your room, how it's furnished and if the floor is suspended?
- Does all your music sound this way, or if not, what sounds worse?

I'm not familar with the Linn speakers, but they shouldn't be harsh. The Arcam and the rest of the Linn system should be the antithesis of harsh.

A long shot would be to get a Linn Black i/c from ebay (£15-£20), which imo is more musical sounding than the Chord.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the response.

Vinyl does sound better, but can be bright with lengthy playing.

The room if soft furnished - carpeted with settees and the floor is wood floor boards on timber beams.

A CD album such as Fjeri Endless sounds very good, however, this is a really well produced album.

I do wonder if it is the Keilidhs that are causing the issue. They are late versions and I have read that they can have a pronounced treble. In some cases the treble can be really cutting.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
With regard to the speakers, are they on the Ku-Stone bases?

Can you get some Granite slabs to isolate the speakers from the floor as much as possible?

If the speakers can rock on the carpet, you can put little screws through the carpet into the wooden floor and rest the base (leveled)onto these.

Do all the usual "housekeeping" on the system:

- Remove, check and clean all connectors (isopropyl alchol)
- Clean all the mains plugs with Duraglit
- Make sure CDP is level (sorbothane feet can help)
- Make sure TT is level, isolated and correctly set up
- Get some Linn Black i/c
- I've found Mains cables from the likes of Clearer Audio can also help.
- Check the screws haven't come loose holding the drive units

If all else fails, try some speakers from Proac, Spendor or Dynaudio.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Are the Keilidhs near to the side walls? The treble could be exaggerated in this way, more so with brighter CD's.

You say you have poor bass extension - the bass you do have, is it tight and punchy, or are basslines a little floppy and ill defined? If so, it could possibly be that the Arcam amps just aren't up to the job of driving the Keilidhs properly. The amps should have plenty of headroom in order to allow the Keilidhs to do what they're capable of.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Are the Keilidhs near to the side walls? The treble could be exaggerated in this way, more so with brighter CD's. You say you have poor bass extension - the bass you do have, is it tight and punchy, or are basslines a little floppy and ill defined? If so, it could possibly be that the Arcam amps just aren't up to the job of driving the Keilidhs properly. The amps should have plenty of headroom in order to allow the Keilidhs to do what they're capable of.

The whole thing is a little puzzling. The Alpha 10 has 100W into 8 Ohms and 170W into 4 Ohms, with a peak current of 25 amps. It should sound clean, punchy and smooth. The speakers require a min of 60W into 4 Ohms. :?

I think the bass problem is probably due to the suspended wooden floor.

Edit. I have just read the speaker manual and that states there is an internal adjustment for toning down the treble...this is a Linn dealer modification.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the responses - a few things to look at. One question - what about the interconnect betwwen the amps - what would be a good recommendation? Currently using Chord Chamelion Silver Plus.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The interconnect that I recommend (as stated above), is the Linn Black, which can usually be bought on ebay for £15-£20: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LINN-BLACK-INTERCONNECT-CABLE-1-2-METERS-NO-RESERVE-/320822956653?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item4ab289d26d#ht_725wt_1270

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts