Question Can i mix my Arcam A80with a P90-

tonyoo7

Dec 7, 2020
Visit site
Hi, i currently use a Arcam A80 & P80 can i use a p90 instead of the P80.
my current source items are a Linn Axis turntable using an Akito arm and k9 cartridge and a A50 Arcam cd player. The floor speakers are a set of Quad 22l's floor with Audioquest 11 bi wire cabling.
I would like to know if its possible and would i benefit from upgrading the P80 to the P90 what are your thoughts please
Thanks
Tony

Welcome...

Yes, assuming the amp has a pre-out you can mix any integrated with any brand of power amp. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll sound good as different brands have their own distinct sonic signature.

As regards a P90, not sure whether the upgrade would be worth the investment -- the improvement would be minimal at best IMHO.

Have you considered selling your current amps and invest in a FMJ A29, as I believe this will yield a more pronounced upgrade to your current bundles? In the used market the A29 is going for between £400-500.

By the way, what is a Arcam A50 CD player? Do you mean CDS 50?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 160668

Welcome...

Yes, assuming the amp has a pre-out you can mix any integrated with any brand of power amp. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll sound good as different brands have their own distinct sonic signature.

As regards a P90, not sure whether the upgrade would be worth the investment -- the improvement would be minimal at best IMHO.

Have you considered selling your current amps and invest in a FMJ A29, as I believe this will yield a more pronounced upgrade to your current bundles? In the used market the A29 is going for between £400-500.

By the way, what is a Arcam A50 CD player? Do you mean CDS 50?
I'm going to have to contradict this recommendation. Arcam's are great, I have the A39. In the past I've had A29 - I'd steer well clear of the A29 if I were you. They have issues with the rails which are common. Quick google search will concur. This means the sound slowly deteriorates and then becomes crackly or drops completely. Mine went back to Arcam twice in a year for this reason. The A39/A49 do not have this issue. But obvs much more money.

I'm going to have to contradict this recommendation. Arcam's are great, I have the A39. In the past I've had A29 - I'd steer well clear of the A29 if I were you. They have issues with the rails which are common. Quick google search will concur. This means the sound slowly deteriorates and then becomes crackly or drops completely. Mine went back to Arcam twice in a year for this reason. The A39/A49 do not have this issue. But obvs much more money.
Wasn't aware of that. The only reason for mentioning the A29 was because trying to recommend a better amp from the DIVA range would be a risk, due to age.

I still stand by selling the two amps and just getting a better integrated.

TRENDING THREADS