Harman Kardon HK990 - £699

T

the record spot

Hiway Hifi are doing this amp for £699 brand new. Did I mention I was looking for an amp and my budget was £699? [:)]

A

Anonymous

RS are you going to do a comparison with the Unico? I read somewhere you'd be doing so and would be interested in your opinion.

T

the record spot

Turns out my plans fell apart not long after posting; the place I was going for doesn't have it (used model, but someone else snagged it before me). Still got the option on the HK, the Leema Pulse, etc.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Yes very cheap indeed - it actually made me check our buy price with Harman in case there was some promotion or error.

As for the 980 vs the 990 they are very different. The 980 is a fast punchy and upfront quite like the Rotel amps. I used one for months on my decks and it was ideal for pushing hard. The 990 is far more refined and despite the huge power output doesnt deliver the punch and force to the sound you may expect. It is detailed and accurate with loads of headroom should you need it.

It would be good to see how it compares to the Leema - I might try and set that up today.

T

the record spot

If you're from the Edinburgh shop Nick, I'll be in there today if you're saying you'll price match or have some "flexibility" around the price? I don't expect you to meet a web price, but I think Hiway have this price instore too. I'm often down there as occasionally work there. I'm interested in the Leema as well, which I think you've got ex-dem for £699...if you're setting up, I'd be interested to hear it all.

T

the record spot

FrankHarveyHiFi:
the record spot:...the place I was going for doesn't have it (used model, but someone else snagged it before me).

I was going to say, seems way too cheap for a new one!

No, sorry, I was talking about the Unison, not the HK - that's a bona fide deal, new and there's a few guys on other forums talking it up. Any dealer local to me who can match that, or get close to it, will get the trade.

You get these deals cropping up, my CDP came from Hughes Direct in East Anglia - £300 from £600, new and boxed. Wasn't graded stock either. Any word if Frank Hughes will match the Hiway price then David...?!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
TheHomeCinemaCentre: Yes very cheap indeed - it actually made me check our buy price with Harman in case there was some promotion or error.

Snap!
emotion-1.gif

T

the record spot

ear:you tend to orbit to the hk990.what about the 980? not bad either.

Yep, but the 990 is a stellar amp, a world away from the 980 in fairness - the whole build is totally different. It comes with an onboard DAC only found on the Cambridge CA840C or one of the Esoteric models the name of which I can't recall. Thereafter, it's got balanced inputs, a host of clever gadgetry, room EQ adjustments, power amp options, though at 150w per channel (very conservative, apparently been measured at 200w) you won't need one unless running a backup for Donington this summer...

I've been all over this amp since I saw it, been raking the online prices for ages and now it's coming down. £700 is a superb price and one other retailer has it for £790, so along with the price drop for the Leema, that means two £1000+ amps fall in my territory now.

No knocking the 980, it's a good little amp, but it's more of a sideways move for me. I want the step up now and the HK might fit the bill along with the Leema. It's only downside, and this applies to the 980 as well, is the rubbish volume control which looks and feels cheap and plasticky. Otherwise, it apparently sounds great. Looks-wise, it's a winner too IMO (I see Sony have started to mimic it on some of their recent gear too).

A

Anonymous

Mmmm. I too noticed this map. Been interested ever since Nick (Home Cinema Centre) recomended as a good match for my tannoy speakers (i'd want to integrate it to my hone cinema system, along with a CD player).

Its £712 by the way if you include delivery. Still a very good deal.

I would also want the HD990 CD player. I've seen that on-line at £275 (+ £10 delivery). I called Hiway hifi but they cant price match.

Thats less than a grand for both delivered. Should I be ordering now?

Out of interest what model is the leema amp people are discussing?

T

the record spot

It's the Leema Pulse, going in various places for £699-£850. Another stonker of an amp. Formerly £1300 or so, so well worth considering.

Incidentally, the HD990 CDP is well underrated IMO, good for shortlisting and at less than £300 could be a bit of a dark horse...!

A

Anonymous

Leema Pulse for £700? Really?

I have heard the leema pulse II, and I thought it sounded and looked fantastic.

But at £1300 plus a similar figure for the matching cd player it was out of my price bracket. And I wondered would it be too good for my tannoy speakers?

oh decisions, decisions ........

A

Anonymous

at 699 I guess the HK990 would make a good value decent Power Amplifier too ? being (from the pictures its looks like anyway) - dual mono etc - on the back it has "processor" inputs - which go straigt to the power amp stage :)

mmm half tempted

T

the record spot

Have a listen though, if you're looking to drive it hard, it's got the capability to take any speakers on, if you listen a relatively low volumes, it might not be the best option - softer sounding and easy on the ear. My old Sansui 717 has more low end clout on that score (no big deal, the fundamental designs, dual mono, twin transformers, etc., are remarkably similar, additional 21st technology aside).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts