Hard to fathom manufacturer policy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:
floyd droid said:
David touched on the 'dealer stock' thing earlier PP. Its a tough call going by what folks in the trade have told me. For instance one dealer ,who i know as a friend, used to stock Focal , but if at the time, he had all the current range in his shop for folk to dem, he would have been eating toe nail clippings for sunday lunch. I understand where you are coming from, but as David said, it all depends on how the manufacturer goes about things in the dem stock dept and /or the dealers wallet. Plus of course feedback from other dealers on whats shifting like hotcakes from that particular manufacturer.

+1

People often don't realize that a distributor or manufacturer can make life easy or difficult for a dealer.....Some will bend over backwards to loan/subsidize models, while others insist you stock and pay for the whole range, which isn't easy if you are a small dealer with an expensive brand. More often than not, if it doesn't sell, you are stuck with it and heavy discounts are needed to move it on.

I agree that some manufacturers are prepared to go the extra yard to keep the dealer sweet, while others tend to be more testing.

It is a juggling act for maker and dealer but near-overlapping of different models makes it difficult for all parties

It is market saturation with models that have similar prices and performance levels.

Sometimes PP, a new model at an increased price can create a surge in sales of the older model. The only time this becomes problematic is if materials for the older model dry up, then that model should be sold off and deleted.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Everyone seems to want to come and see us at the moment! We're all ears for good offers... :)

Cno will be pleased that MF will be making an appearance in store shortly.... :)

About time too....which models did you hear, and are you carrying the AMS series?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I haven't heard anything yet! I haven't heard an MF product for almost 10 years!

What we think of the product, while important to us, isn't really the be all and end all. It's you guys who choose what you like the sound of, hence the manufacturers, ranges, and models we keep. Obviously, they need to be good products though :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Richard Allen said:
Seriously, manufacturers have got to think long and hard about how to achieve sales. One way is the way I went with EB Acoustics. The other is to actively work with dealers by putting yer money where yer mouth is. It costs the dealer nothing and, because of that, you get shop space. From my point of view, its cost me materials for a pair of speakers. In my opinion, that's a worthwhile punt. By the way. with Accolade, you never buy the demo stock. If it gets revamped, old models are pulled out and new ones put in place. So easy, it's untrue.

What we're talking about is speculation. I'm prepared to go there, why won't others??.

What's that saying?? Speculation breeds accumulation.

It's a refreshing outlook Richard, and I agree that the industry needs to take a step back to review itself in order to look forward to a successful future.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Richard Allen said:
Seriously, manufacturers have got to think long and hard about how to achieve sales. One way is the way I went with EB Acoustics. The other is to actively work with dealers by putting yer money where yer mouth is. It costs the dealer nothing and, because of that, you get shop space. From my point of view, its cost me materials for a pair of speakers. In my opinion, that's a worthwhile punt. By the way. with Accolade, you never buy the demo stock. If it gets revamped, old models are pulled out and new ones put in place. So easy, it's untrue.

What we're talking about is speculation. I'm prepared to go there, why won't others??.

What's that saying?? Speculation breeds accumulation.

It's a refreshing outlook Richard, and I agree that the industry needs to take a step back to review itself in order to look forward to a successful future.
I can see conspiracy theorists conspiring here. [Kiddy & Cov are not to far apart] 8) :rofl:

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:

I don't know about others but I'm ready to do it now. 5 out of 10 dealers already in place. The secret is to pick your dealers. Box sellers are no good to me. I need good quality dealers that know their local area and the local housing situation well. Knowing the type of house your customer lives in saves a helluva lot of time, specially with speakers.

If dealers told the manufacturers straight, I think that things would change quickly. The high street would survive better, dealers would have more footfall and manufacturers would have greater representation. If ur gonna consolidate retail sales then you have to consolidate the retailers. That also means curtailing activities by manufacturers on the net. If ur direct, so be it. If ur retail, so be it. The two don't necessarily mix and that's why I keep the two separate.

It is radical but if a tiddla like me can do it, the big boys can too. But I'm not interested in them. I'm interested in me and my dealers.

This thread is slowly going off topic. Sorry JD. I'm done now.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
Richard Allen said:
alchemist 1 said:
I can see conspiracy theorists conspiring here. [Kiddy & Cov are not to far apart] 8) :rofl:

Alchemist. I wouldn't do that and that's as true as I'm stood here riding this bike!! :rofl:

Very much tounge in cheek :rofl: Richard. Well done on your stock issues. :clap:

Thanx. Just seems like common sense to me. If others had seen it that way 3 years ago, EB would have been a retail brand, not internet but, hay ho. :wall:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts