Hard Drive music through HiFi

Andini

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi, new to forum so be gentle. I currently run a vinyl system through traditional deck/amp/speakers and a digital system using the same amp/speakers. The digital music is on 3 hard drives, Flac/MP3/Alac & AAC connected to a Macbook Pro. This is played via itunes, foobar etc through the optical output of the mac into a Dac Magic then to the amp. Thats the background, what I would like to do as the Macbook Pro has become more of a desktop than a laptop so i would like to replace it with the following setup if possible.

I would like to connect the hard drive/s to a box ???? which can be connected optically to the DAC and onto the amp, I would like the box ???? to be interfaced/controlled by my Android phone/tablet, both running 4.4, I do not want to use my tv as an interface. I have seen a few boxes on ebay, the Measy A1W looks interesting but I am unsyre. The box ???? I refer to I assume will be a Roku/Apple type of box. I do not need to play the music in several rooms and do not want to spend hundreds.

Any suggestions or help would be gratefully appreciated.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I think you're on the right lines with the Roku/AppleTV box. Otherwise a hifi streamer would be good, but you may be restricted by your budget.

I have a MacMini connected into my stereo and use Apple Remote app on iPad/iPhone to control it. You can do the same thing with AppleTV. Be aware that boxes like Roku and AppleTV are streaming so the music is not bit perfect and high resolution is not possible - but I don't know if this matters to you.

daveh75

Rokus only have HDMI or stereo out (via an 3.5mm mini-jack to stereo rca/composite video cable) and need the TV as an interface. Also of the current models, only the Roku 3 can be connected to external HDDs and it has limited file support.

As much as I like Roku, they're not great as music streamers.

Mattan

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Are you talking about connecting the hard drives directly to the "box", or on to the network? The Sonos Connect can do the latter, depending on your budget.

Also worth looking at Pure's Jongo A2. This is cheaper than the Sonos, but doesn't support as many file formats. It doesn't 'do' multiroom like Sonos, but you said that wasn't important.

Both of the above rely on an app to control the "box". Pure's app was updated at the end of last year (I believe, but check) to support NAS connectivity.

Andini

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the replies.

Just for clarity, I have 3 usb hard drives with various music in different formats, a DAC, and hifi. I would like to play the music through my hifi without using a laptop (currently my mac) and without my tv, preferably via my DAC optical output, this kind of limits what can be done as a user interface is needed which I would prefer to be a tablet I have, and an interface for the wireless link/hardware. One room

Yamyam

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
If you do not have the option of consolidating to one drive or a NAS (which would make things simpler), then you could look at a USB Network hub, which will offer half the solution of making your drives available on your network (drives connect to hub, hub connects to router).

You'll still need a 'client' though, again Sonos Connect would be an option....

Other alternatives if you can consolidate your drives to one, would be an Apple Airport which will connect to your DAC via optical and a USB drive...does anyone else have experience of this (or indeed a USB hub supporting multiple drives hanging off an Airport), because I think you'll still need a client....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts