Hard Drive Media Players..........

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I would just love to be able to backup my DVD collection onto a hard drive and then use this as a means of playing back the media content on my HD TV – like an MP3 player for DVD’s? I am aware of the existence of the following products: - LaCinema Rugged, WD HD TV, Popcorn Hour and Apple TV.

Has What HI-FI ever tested any of these products or has anyone else got a view on this subject?

Thank you for your attention to this request.

A

Anonymous

I know people who do and don't have any problems doing so though I don't know anyone who does it on a PC so I can't be of help there.

John Duncan

TogInMog:
I would just love to be able to backup my DVD collection onto a hard drive and then use this as a means of playing back the media content on my HD TV - like an MP3 player for DVD's? I am aware of the existence of the following products: - LaCinema Rugged, WD HD TV, Popcorn Hour and Apple TV.

Has What HI-FI ever tested any of these products or has anyone else got a view on this subject?

Thank you for your attention to this request.

It's a total PITA, but it can be done with a PC or Mac, though I don't know any players which will play the native VOB files, you'd need to convert them to DivX or somesuch, losing quality on the way (though not much) - if after doing that (the PITA bit), you could stream to Apple TV or Linksys Media Extender or similar. Alternatively, you could get a Mac Mini, which would play the VOB files.

All totally illegal of course
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I have done this via a PC and its questionable whether backing your own DVD's onto hardware is illegal or not. There is commercial software available called AnyDVD which removes copy protection and region coding and lets you copy DVD's in standard DVD format on hard drives on PC's. I also use some freeware software call DVD Shrink that allows you to remaster the DVD and remove all of the extras. I have a PC running windows vista premium and this allows you to play those native files back. I have a graphics card in my PC with HDMI which is connected to my TV and digitial audio out to my amp so i can play them all back with Dolby Digital / DTS sound .... works a treat.

In fact all my home DVD's are copied onto hard drives on my home network and they are streamed to the media PC, so all those nasty hard drives can be hidded away out of the living room.

A

Anonymous

ajeffo:
I have done this via a PC and its questionable whether backing your own DVD's onto hardware is illegal or not.ÿ

It is 100% illegal. Exactly the same law as file sharing.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:ajeffo:
I have done this via a PC and its questionable whether backing your own DVD's onto hardware is illegal or not.ÿ

sounds right to me octopo.

however, i wonder if films qualify as software for this purpose, as the same laws dont apply to software.

A

Anonymous

Sadly, they do not. Although something being illegal has never really stopped anybody--acually, in many cases (especially if the issue is publicised) it can make people more inclined to break the law.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I built myself a media pc which I used for a while which had Blu-Ray/HD DVD read ability. I had all my CD's on it ripped to WMA Lossless and whilst the playback wasn't up to CD quality despite being a lossless codec, I listened to more music because of the ease of use. For example I've got a very large CD collection and it's very rare that I want to listen to a whole album, I like to pick and mix. With Windows Media Centre it's easy to have a party on-the-go creating on-the-fly playlists, I'd have been constantly up and down changing CD's which isn't good. The Blu-Ray playback will depend on your graphics card, I was using a nVidia 8600GTS silent card with no problems, however at the time I had it there was no HD audio pass through and playback software was a bit hit and miss.

I eventually ditched the media centre PC cos it was too noisy and too big and recently bought a TViX HD M-6500a media player (£299) + a Samsung 1TB hard drive (£75) to fit in it. I was expecting movie playback to be it's forte, but I've been presently surprised but it's music playback. At present it can't play WMA Lossless, so I converted all my music to FLAC and playback via HDMI to my Onkyo 905 amp. The sound is far better than from old Media PC which also passed a digital signal to my amp. I would go as far as to say it's easy as good as a decent budget CD player, having a fair bit of sparkle and deep bass. the major downside is that you can't create playlists on-the-fly as with the media PC. Having said that it's still more user friendly sitting on the sofa flicking through folders rather than getting up and down to change CD's. You can add M3U playlists, which is good, but hopefully on-the-fly playlists will come with a future firmware update.

With movies, the TViX can play almost all movie file formats including DVD ISO's, MKV and M2TS. Playback of DVD ISO's is superb, I set the TViX output to 576i and let my Onkyo upscale to 1080p. Unfortunately I've not been so impressed with HD playback via MKV or M2TS. With the latest firmware it'll pass through HD audio such as DTS HD which sounds fine, but picture quality at 1080p and 720p is very disappointing. There's a lot of noise on screen and it doesn't seem to out put a 24fps signal as it's supposed to. It gets nowhere near the original blu-ray images given by my Sony BDP-S350.

The TViX and most players of this sort appear to have their bugs! Constant firmware upgrades are required to fix old bugs and provide new features. However, each new firmware update seems to introduce a new problem! If you accept that you'll have to keep updating the firmware, these things are excellent, storing large amounts of media in a small portable box that you can take with you and plug in anywhere.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:ajeffo:

I have done this via a PC and its questionable whether backing your own DVD's onto hardware is illegal or not.

Does that mean that backing your CD's up on your PC for use on an iPod is illegal?

I don't think it is for either movies or music as long as you own the original source, i.e. CD or DVD.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Just to say that if you have music/films downloaded from Itunes (complete with Apples DRM), the AppleTV is a good prospect. It streams both music and video (including 720p HD) from your computer to your TV and amplifier setup and has a very easy to use interface. However it is fussy regarding the video files it plays, but if you havent started backing up your DVDs yet thats not really a problem! We love it though, use Handbrake to rip DVDs straight to the apple TV setting and away you go.

ÿ

Strictly speaking yes ripping CDs and putting the tracks on your iPod is illegal, however no one has been prosecuted for that ÿand its hard to imagine it ever happening. Its only sharing them with other people that gets record companies knickers in twists!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
pete321:Does that mean that backing your CD's up on your PC for use on an iPod is illegal?

I don't think it is for either movies or music as long as you own the original source, i.e. CD or DVD.

Trust us, it is. As said though, the chance of you being prosecuting for doing this is zero, otherwise half the country would have to be brought to court as well. It's only when you share it or download it for free you're susceptible for trouble.

At some point, I'm sure they'll make a new law to allow it since it's practically legal to do so now given the above.

A

Anonymous

I use a HTPC to play all my .Flac files and ISO dvd rips by way of VMC + madflac + My Movies + Daemon Tools to mount the ISO's...

Works great with no problems, have to say using the WMP album art/Information finder/feature saves a lot of time.

A

Anonymous

Fumanchu:
I use a HTPC to play all my .Flac files and ISO dvd rips by way of VMC + madflac + My Movies + Daemon Tools to mount the ISO's...

Works great with no problems, have to say using the WMP album art/Information finder/feature saves a lot of time.

VideoLAN VLC player is also great, plays just about any file extension, plus if you've backed up a DVD with DVDshrink or something similar, you just drag and drop the folder onto the player and it plays like it should.

TRENDING THREADS