hard disc storage without using a pc

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi I am after a hard disc storage device that dosn't rely on the use of a pc , a stand alone unit which you can load all your cds into and connect up to your amp

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi expat_mike I am after some thing like the Sony HAP-Z1ES . I have all of my Cds burnt onto my Mac all lossless but I have some problems with random tracks being distorted the cds are not damaged in any way and play ok on my cdp so I am after a different way way of storing my music so I can put 90% of cd collection away thanks for your help with this one

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
toyota man said:
I have all of my Cds burnt onto my Mac all lossless but I have some problems with random tracks being distorted

:? Hmmm you're the second person to report that symptom in recent years. Not sure we got to the bottom of it last time either, beyond suggesting that somehow they were whacking-up the track-volume in certain tracks causing digital distortion. But they said they weren't. Most strange.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
toyota man said:
Hi expat_mike I am after some thing like the Sony HAP-Z1ES . I have all of my Cds burnt onto my Mac all lossless but I have some problems with random tracks being distorted the cds are not damaged in any way and play ok on my cdp so I am after a different way way of storing my music so I can put 90% of cd collection away thanks for your help with this one

The WHF review praises the Sony highly. If it cost £500 I would be tempted, but unfortunately it costs £2k.

You could set up a NAS with more storage for £500, and the process is described here http://www.whathifi.com/blog/how-to-build-a-nas-to-store-your-music

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
expat_mike said:
toyota man said:

The WHF review praises the Sony highly. If it cost £500 I would be tempted, but unfortunately it costs £2k.

The cheaper Sony HAP-S1 which is similar in concept i.e. integrated HDD but has an integrated amplifier and only costs £799

Qobuz review here ... http://www.qobuz.com/info/Hi-Fi-Guide/In-English/Qobuz-Choice-for-the-Sony-HAP-S1175350

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
I would suggest that you need to isolate the problem first as simply changing storage is unlikey to help. The fault is much more likely to be in the ripping or replay chain.

Is there any pattern to the type of track that distorts?

In what way does it distort?

Is it whole albums or just individual tracks within an album?

Is it always the same tracks?

What software are you using to rip?

What software are you using to play?

How is the Mac connected to the amp?

Have you tried listening to an affected track on another device?

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
How about this?

http://www.cocktailaudio.com/overview_x30.html

you can fit in a 4tb HD and just forget about the space in it...

Or a Synology NAS...

So near to being a very good product, if the sound quality was slightly better http://www.whathifi.com/review/cocktail-audio-x30

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi Crocodile I didnt have this problem on my old Toshiba lap top I have only had it with My Mac book Pro

Its seems that most of the time its only the first track it sounds like some one is playing it through a transistor radio which is turned up to loud

I started to try and find out which albums it is on Red hot chillis By the way tracks 1 to 9. Bad Company Run with the pack track 1 Fleetwood Mac Tusk track 1 disk 1 & 2 .Led Zep how the west was Won Track ! disc 1+2+3 ZZT afterburner Track 1 ZZT El loco Track 1 All are lossless if I could sort this out I would just buy a good streemer any help would be realy good many thanks for your help :grin:

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Really need answers to the other questions I posed. But let's see if we can work with one track. First track of Run With the pack which you cited is Live For the Music . Does this distort every time you play it?

Which lossless format is this in? Mac would suggest ALAC but if you ripped the tracks previously on a Windows machine (Tosh) then maybe not. First thing I would suggest is verify the file by playing it on another device. Do you have an iPod or phone that can play the format that the file is ripped to? If so copy the file to that & listen to it several times through headphones. How does it sound.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi Even when playing on the mac through the in built speakers it distorts and when playing through my stereo in the car via my ipod it distorts I think the format is ALAC . every track distorts every time its played . I re ripped all of my music onto my mac

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Macspur said:
I know a couple of people with one of these and are very pleased

http://www.brennan.co.uk/

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Like the OP, I would like to move away from a docked iPod to a hard disk solution. The Brennan is great, but has its own amplifier, which I ( and the OP) don't want. If you could get a Brennan, less the amplifier but with a coax or optical feed to an external DAC then I would have found what I am looking for (to badly misquote U2).

At the moment, I am stuck looking at a network audio player which talks through my router to a NAS drive. It is not the solution I wanted, but am struggling to find a better option.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Changing to a different source of storage for the files is not likely to help. It seems to me (and has already been mentioned) that the problem is likely to be down to the ripping. Have a closer look at the iTunes settings, remove any equalisation or volume levelling functions and set error correction for starters. It would also be worth checking the audio midi settings on the Mac, to ensure that nothing is amiss there.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
NJB said:
Like the OP, I would like to move away from a docked iPod to a hard disk solution.

If it's an iPod classic, it is a hard disk solution. If not, there's little difference, just another form of storage. Many would argue that flash memory is better anyway. Some DACS can take the digital output from an iPod - if the DAC manufacturer has paid Apple.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Overdose said:
Changing to a different source of storage for the files is not likely to help. It seems to me (and has already been mentioned) that the problem is likely to be down to the ripping. Have a closer look at the iTunes settings, remove any equalisation or volume levelling functions and set error correction for starters. It would also be worth checking the audio midi settings on the Mac, to ensure that nothing is amiss there.

This is the first thing I'd do.

The volume adjustment and equaliser presets can be turned on for each track individually (Get info > Options tab), so it's possible you've enabled these for the tracks that are distorting. I find that the equaliser in iTunes distorts quite badly on my system.

Matt

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
toyota man said:
Hi Even when playing on the mac through the in built speakers it distorts and when playing through my stereo in the car via my ipod it distorts I think the format is ALAC . every track distorts every time its played . I re ripped all of my music onto my mac

That sounds very much as though the source file is the problem rather than the storage or playback. So as already suggested, it looks like you have a ripping issue. I don't use iTunes so can't really help much more other than suggesting you maybe have a look around for an alternative ripper that supports AccurateRip. That way you can be more sure that your rips are good. No personal experience but a quick Google suggest XLD as an alternative.

http://download.cnet.com/X-Lossless-Decoder/3000-2140_4-189505.html

Have a good look around for the best settings for it with AccurateRip enabled & try re-ripping an affected album. If you run into problems then maybe there's an issue with the optical drive in the Mac. If so, try to get your hands on a USB drive to try.

Another option is the previously mentioned Vortexbox. The software that this runs is open source so if you have an old PC/laptop kicking around, you can turn that into a ripper/server for free. But note that this is a compete Linux based install so completely wipes existing data & OS.

http://vortexbox.org/downloads

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts