Harbeth Super HL 5

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Good evening,

I'm in the middle of a change. I 've just bought a 4 years old Accuphae E-213 and I wonder if I should change my speakers. I like the sound of Focals and I got used to it. They say that Accuphase and Focal are a good match. But they also say that Accuphase and Harbeth are a better match.

The question is about Harbeth SHL 5. Would it be a significantly different sound? A change for the better? Or should I stay with Focal and look for a pair of Electra?

Thank you for your attention

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Mac (Macspur) of this parish runs SHL5s with an Accu amp. He'll give you his own perspective, but I've heard his system and I can honestly say it's superb.

I've also heard SHL5s on the end of a Class A Accu amp and that was excellent too.

IMO the SHL5s are one of the bargains of the audio world.

Matt

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Jazz and classical indeed, a little rock and pop and a lot of The Beatles. Thanks for your replies. But how would you compare one to another?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FOCAL

I would describe the sound as clean, neutral, detailed and a little forward, with a tight, well controlled bass. I find them a little analytical and uninvolving,unless very carefully matched.

HARBETH

These major on the midrange, where they sound very natural, making them (as has been said), great with Classical, Jazz and Acoustic material. They have a warm bass, and a sweet euphonic sound, but may not have enough "bite" for some types of music.

FWIW. I'm more on the Harbeth side of the fence.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

As already mentioned I own both an Accuphase amp and the SHL5, but for me it's a bit of a fallacy to say the speakers are best suited to Jazz and Classicle... I have quite an eclectic music collection covering most genres and I can honestly say, they are the most natural sounding loudspeaker I have ever heard no matter what I listen to.

The added bonus is that they are, as Matt mentioned, fantastic value for money.

Bare in mind too that Harbeth have now released the SHL5+.

Another make to consider would be Sonus Faber... not personally heard them with Accuphase, but also supposed to be a great match.

Keep us posted.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it is difficult as I suspected. Although I know what to do, is hard to make a decision.

I think that in the end I'm gonna put the amp in the car and drive 400 km to hear those Harbeths. It's the best to be done. :)

On the other hand I'll give Sonus Faber a try (thank you Mac) as I know someone who has a pair of Toys.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Just got back from my city's annual Hi-Fi Show. With the caveat that minimally treated hotel rooms do not usually show off the products in their best light, I observed that the Harbeth C7ES-3 with Quad electronics sounded pleasant but somewhat dynamically challenged, and the Focal Aria 936 with McIntosh electronics too bass boomy and not as exciting sounding as some of their older models.

Some other speakers that were more impressive were the ATC SCM40 mk2 (they sounded "right"), Audio Physic Avantera (huge soundstage) and Neat Elite SX (a little bright but very transparent and dynamic).

In the case of the Neat Elite SX, they appeared mismatched because they were on the end of some pricey FM Acoustics FM155 preamp and FM108 monoblocks and high end turntable, but they were producing some great music. The drivers of the Neat were moving back and forth like they were having a serious fit, but for such a small pair of floorstanders, they certainly sounded bigger that they looked.

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Hifikrazy

Interestingly you mentioned that difference between Aria and older models (I tend to agree with you, but for classical and jazz Aria sounds better to me).

I like the way Focal displays music, but there is this itch :oops: (sorry) to try something else for a change. But I have to put apples next to apples, so I think it's Electra next to SHL5.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
I agree, Focal like Triangle have always sounded a little too much on the bright side of neutral/natural, and the Aria range seems to have toned that down a bit, which as you've observed is better suited to classical and jazz. Just have to be a bit careful with matching their bass to a room. My only problem with the Electra is they are getting quite old, and I've always had a problem with that because I hate to buy something and have a replacement model come out within the next 1 year.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Tzutzu said:
By the way Mac, what a great music you have on your blog!

Thanks Tzutzu, glad you like it.

Please feel free to register, it would be great to have you along.

smiley-smile.gif

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
hifikrazy said:
I agree, Focal like Triangle have always sounded a little too much on the bright side of neutral/natural, and the Aria range seems to have toned that down a bit, which as you've observed is better suited to classical and jazz. Just have to be a bit careful with matching their bass to a room. My only problem with the Electra is they are getting quite old, and I've always had a problem with that because I hate to buy something and have a replacement model come out within the next 1 year.

That is exactly my view on both Focal and Triangle.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
E
Tzutzu said:
Maybe I should wait for the new Electras to be launched and then compare them to SHL 5 plus. :?

Yes, that's what I would do. Although I don't know for sure, the Electras do seem like they're due for an update.

Alternatively you could also try the Spendor D7 like I have, which I think is a well balanced speaker that sits tonally between the Electra and the Harbeth.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Tzutzu said:
Maybe I should wait for the new Electras to be launched and then compare them to SHL 5 plus. :?

The Harbeth is so different to anything that Focal is likely to produce, that you will either love what it does, or be left undewhelmed.....so I would go and listen.

The idea of the D7 is a good one (imo).

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi Tzutzu,

Certainly from reading other forums, Focal is a popular choice to pair with Accuphase. So too is Harbeth... they call that combo "the golden sound"

If you're not in too much of a hurry to change, it might indeed be worth waiting to demo the SHL5+, but as Cno said, it will come down to personal preference whether you want to stick with the Focal SQ or the more natural openness of the Harbeths.

How long have you had the Accuphase amp? I've had mine about 18 months now and can't believe how good it is... one day I hope to own a new model.

smiley-smile.gif

Mac

Rimse

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
vocals are to die for on harbeths shl5,they do everything fine for their size except punch,they don't have enhanced punch like many other ported speakers,but they have nice bass scale and somewhat euphonic sound signature.I remember first impression,they sounded very tight ,later on they got warmer and euphonic

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Good evening,

I had some talks regarding both of the suspects (Harbeth and Focal). In the near future I'm going to give a listen both to SHL5 and Electra 1008Be. I can't take the risk of buying blindly the Harbeths and I can't ignore the Electras as I am very comfortable with the Focal sound. To be honest, I was quite pleased with what I had. But what if... During my short trip through HIFI I've learned that you have the best till you find the better. So again what if...

@Mac I've had my amp for about 2 months. Upgraded from Arcam A19. It's great, no matter the music (jazz, classical, rock, pop). Love it. That's why I'm looking for better speakers. I'm sure it can deliver

Sory for late response but one has to earn money for HiFi :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts