Happy punter

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Sat listening to an album on my hifi today, first 'proper' listen since before Christmas really, what with other commitments. It struck me just how happy I am overall with my lot, in terms of hifi at least. I think I posted a similar thread in November, not long after getting the Cyrus 2 back from a re-cap and upgrade, but in the past two months I've really had chance to get used to its sound and appreciate how good it is, especially with records.

When I was younger, unmarried and had more money, I too used to throw cash around at my hifi, seeing if changing this or that would make an improvement, without ever having a proper focus on what I was actually trying to improve (just like I see certain people doing on here now).

Maybe it's middle age, but I've totally changed my tact now. Instead of going out and looking for change, I'm not doing any upgrades any more unless something comes along and absolutely proves to me that it deserves my cash by being indisputably better. It's definitely not an attitude the manufacturers want me to take; if we all only ever bought a new piece of hifi after it had passed a DBT against the item it was replacing, I wonder how many new and improved products would get left on the shelf? Very many I bet.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
So from now on you perform a 'DBT'* every time you try something? :)

* (Double Blind Test for anyone not familiar with this mysterious ritual, rarely participated in by anyone living, mostly performed in darkened out rooms/total secrecy by a master of ceremony sworn to silence by threat of instant forum dismissals)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:
So from now on you perform a 'DBT'* every time you try something? :)

*biggrin* In reality we all know that's often not possible, but to echo the advice I've just given to BlackSabbath in his MM7025 thread, I'm far more philosophical about hifi upgrades than I was and from now on I'll approach everything with the attitude that currently I'm happy and so it's going to take something really special to upset the apple cart. In the past I was more of the approach "I'm kind of contented but very willing to be swayed", and I must have spent stupid amounts of money achieving either comparatively little or worst still on sideways moves.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Maybe it's middle age, but I've totally changed my tact now. Instead of going out and looking for change, I'm not doing any upgrades any more unless something comes along and absolutely proves to me that it deserves my cash by being indisputably better. It's definitely not an attitude the manufacturers want me to take; if we all only ever bought a new piece of hifi after it had passed a DBT against the item it was replacing, I wonder how many new and improved products would get left on the shelf? Very many I bet.

I think there would be less of the same or worse in performance sold as 'upgrades' for more money. A win for the consumer, but also a win (more market share) for the ethical and truly professional companies that respect their customers and pride on their products.

And for the thousandth time :) , DBTs and measurements should be done by manufacturers and reviewers. The results should be finally presented in an understandable yet not oversimplified (read manipulative) way to the potential customers.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Vladimir said:
And for the thousandth time :) , DBTs and measurements should be done by manufacturers and reviewers.

Trouble is these are the very people who have a vested interest in trying to convince you to buy new rope :)

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Vladimir said:
And for the thousandth time :) , DBTs and measurements should be done by manufacturers and reviewers.

Trouble is these are the very people who have a vested interest in trying to convince you to buy new rope :)

And as has repeatedly been said (anyone listening?), meaningful DBTs are far too expensive and time consuming for hi-fi companies and reviewers to do.

I could do a cheap off-the-cuff DBT tomorrow. It might look good superficially, but it'd be worth zilch.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Vladimir said:

They can convince me with DBT and proper measurements. I also don't think companies like QED will disappear. I'd like to buy a nice branded cable even if the manufacturer and reviewer told me it doesn't do magical things. Just look at Blue Jeans cables. They are honest and profitable, with the biggest buyer group actually being cable skeptics.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
MajorFubar said:
Vladimir said:

And as has repeatedly been said (anyone listening?), meaningful DBTs are far too expensive and time consuming for hi-fi companies and reviewers to do.

I could do a cheap off-the-cuff DBT tomorrow. It might look good superficially, but it'd be worth zilch.

That's the whole point. Don't make extrodinary claims unless you can back it up with evidence. Evidence is costly.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Just came back from 5 weeks away from my stereo, during which time I heard some micro systems and started thinking whether I had got caught up in my own hype and wondering whether systems were as good as I remembered them, but chilling out to the little Genelecs (bought without an audition) I'm falling in love again. Great sound, perfect form factor and relatively kid proof.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
...I remain happy until something comes along that blows me away. Unachievable for all kinds of reasons probably, but I'd love to compare my current system against the best* new systems at various price categories to see where it slots in.

The modded Cyrus 2+PSX sound better than new to my ears but I've no idea how they compare to modern equivalents, What HiFi? hinted that you probably have to cross £1k to substantially better my EB2 loudspeakers, and I don't think I'd substantially improve upon my HRT II+ DAC with much change from £500 or more.

*and with hifi that's such a vague subjective word, one person's best is another person's meh

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
jmjones said:
Cyrus. I've been reading too many threads. Anyway your last post answered my question. Nice rig.

I'm going to go back to my senior moments now....

No worries mate, if I wasn't so stupid I'd have figured out what you meant!! *dash1*

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Just came back from 5 weeks away from my stereo, during which time I heard some micro systems and started thinking whether I had got caught up in my own hype and wondering whether systems were as good as I remembered them, but chilling out to the little Genelecs (bought without an audition) I'm falling in love again. Great sound, perfect form factor and relatively kid proof.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm blaming the website rather than sleep deprivation from my sleepless overnight flight with a baby and toddler.

I certainly didn't type it out twice or even copy and paste it. Not sure I've ever seen a non-consecutive double post here before though...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts