Happy but I want a bit more

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
keeper of the quays said:
If anyone thinks having a cheap pair of speakers at the end of quality hifi? They live in cloud cuckoo land! I have never heard such nonsense...the speakers should be the best you can afford..if not new? Then secondhand.

Yes...and no. Money doesn't always buy you happiness. I had PMC BB5SE's for a while which weigh in at £26K a pair. I am much, much happier now with speakers at half the price. *preved*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Well I kind of think the amplifier and the speakers are both very important but your budget is £900 you options are AV amplifier that's good with music , streaming , films so the films bit keeps the wife happy with a speaker package in a deal were the amplifier in the deal or a stand alone amplifier just for music which you can spend all of your budget just on the amplifier and then later when your got the money buy the speakers at a later date or all of the budget on a pair of very good speakers . You have to decide which way you want to go AV / integrated amplifier / speakers

K

keeper of the quays

Gazzip said:
If anyone thinks having a cheap pair of speakers at the end of quality hifi? They live in cloud cuckoo land! I have never heard such nonsense...the speakers should be the best you can afford..if not new? Then secondhand.

Yes...and no. Money doesn't always buy you happiness. I had PMC BB5SE's for a while which weigh in at £26K a pair. I am much, much happier now with speakers at half the price. *preved*
a few years ago i looked at a pair of kef reference speakers..big ones had a radiator thingy at base of speaker! They played some organ music and blimey o reilly it was fab..i happened to have a radiohead cd in my pocket! (dont we all have radiohead cds in our pockets?) and the flash kef werent so flash..sounded bad..the poor salesman looked like thom yorke sounded..miserable! I didnt buy them, moral of story i didnt get left 'high and dry' it was 'karma police' that saved me..lol

K

keeper of the quays

Gazzip said:

Yes...and no. Money doesn't always buy you happiness. I had PMC BB5SE's for a while which weigh in at £26K a pair. I am much, much happier now with speakers at half the price. *preved*
no money doesnt buy happiness but it does make the misery easier to take!

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
lpv said:
the review is coming andrew.. I'll post it here.. I make sure it's objective and informative and that's why I did not post it yet.. but to keep you interested I can tell you this: whatever you can find about these speakers elsewhere it's true*dirol*

i cant wait

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site

:)

rainsoothe

Hi. Imo, the weakest link in the chain is the amp - but I'm an amp first kind of guy. I would look at upgrading in steps (amp, then speakers) - and geting a Naim Nait 5si + Rega Fono Mini A2D, Arcam A19, Marantz PM8005, Abrahamsen V2.0UP or Rega Elicit-R (my nod goes to Naim, of course). Then, when you can afford upgrading speakers, drag the amp around for some demos - Focal Aria 906, Sonus Faber Venere 2.0, or, for floorstanders, Neat or Sonus Faber Toy Tower.

I'd stay away from Yamaha amps, but if you audition and like them, have at it - to me, they sound pretty wimpy, like listening to a wet hankerchief.

As for an active setup, you could consider a Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1 (with upgrades), Shiit (forget their preamp name), NVA or Naim Dac V1 - you can add a phono-amp to each of these - and Yamaha HS8 or Adam A7X studio monitors.

Actually, you should consider NVA altogether for a full setup (either pre-amp + actives or monoblocks, or their integrated - NVA AP50), heard only good stuff about them, and their prices seem unbeatable.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

Anyone who has been around hi-fi for a few years will have heard small, inexpensive speakers sound phenominal on the end of a really good system.

There are a number of reasons for this, the bandwidth and sheer volume capabilities of good big speakers are often lost in domestic situations, room size and speaker positioning often conspire to make such speakers underperform such that smaller, often cheaper speakers, sound better.

It depends a lot on the speaker of course, a lot of small budget models are really not very good, they are deliberately 'overhyped' to sound impressve with a big warm sound, this is what sells.

Really good speakers in this area are often at a disadvantage, their more neutral response fails to impress the average buyer, until of course, you get them onto the end of a serious system. Q Acoustics are a brand that fall into this category, they can (2000i series) sound a littly bit flat and unengageing in run of the mill budget systems but as Gazzip and others will attest, on the end of a good system, they are completely different.

davedotco said:

Anyone who has been around hi-fi for a few years will have heard small, inexpensive speakers sound phenominal on the end of a really good system.

There are a number of reasons for this, the bandwidth and sheer volume capabilities of good big speakers are often lost in domestic situations, room size and speaker positioning often conspire to make such speakers underperform such that smaller, often cheaper speakers, sound better.

It depends a lot on the speaker of course, a lot of small budget models are really not very good, they are deliberately 'overhyped' to sound impressve with a big warm sound, this is what sells.

Really good speakers in this area are often at a disadvantage, their more neutral response fails to impress the average buyer, until of course, you get them onto the end of a serious system. Q Acoustics are a brand that fall into this category, they can (2000i series) sound a littly bit flat and unengageing in run of the mill budget systems but as Gazzip and others will attest, on the end of a good system, they are completely different.

+1

My old original Heybrook HB1's spring to mind, as do the new Elac B6

K

keeper of the quays

Al ears said:
davedotco said:

+1

Top order twaddle! The speakers may well be the most important component of a hi fi system..i have 902i and tannoy f1..very good..esp 902i then i went to dynaudio 40..then 42s...ibput my 42s on top of my ae reference speakers..and listened to both...no comparison....are you really telling me Q acoustic speakers can match my AE1mk3s? Lol....i know what hifi love Q acoustics speakers..and for new hifi people..go with what hifi recommendations..good advice! My dynaudios are superior to Q acoustics..and they sounded very boxy indeed compared to AEs...i thought all amps sound the same as absurd..but this? Is nonsense...

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
+1 , I see dave point , a cheap pair of standmounts will sound better on a well matched high end system, better than they could on a cheap amp, but.... why comprimise, just stick a better pair on , you will get better sound i have never seen the point of putting boxy sounding cheap stanmounts on a good ststem, that colouration is there no matter how good the amp is, ok it may be better controlled , but the issue is still there,

I had a listen to marantz 611 with a pair of dali zensor 1, it sounded good , then a pair of ma silver 1 , i know the silvers cost over twice the price, and deserve a good meaty amp, but the difference was profound, the sound was more punchy, weighty were it needed, and detailed, with a out of box scale, no hint of boxiness, anyone who thought the cheaper speakers sounded better , need their ears syringing,

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
peterpiper said:
+1 , I see dave point , a cheap pair of standmounts will sound better on a well matched high end system, better than they could on a cheap amp, but.... why comprimise, just stick a better pair on , you will get better sound i have never seen the point of putting boxy sounding cheap stanmounts on a good ststem, that colouration is there no matter how good the amp is, ok it may be better controlled , but the issue is still there,

I had a listen to marantz 611 with a pair of dali zensor 1, it sounded good , then a pair of ma silver 1 , i know the silvers cost over twice the price, and deserve a good meaty amp, but the difference was profound, the sound was more punchy, weighty were it needed, and detailed, with a out of box scale, no hint of boxiness, anyone who thought the cheaper speakers sounded better , need their ears syringing,

Think you have missed point, better go back to begining.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Top order twaddle! The speakers may well be the most important component of a hi fi system..i have 902i and tannoy f1..very good..esp 902i then i went to dynaudio 40..then 42s...ibput my 42s on top of my ae reference speakers..and listened to both...no comparison....are you really telling me Q acoustic speakers can match my AE1mk3s? Lol....i know what hifi love Q acoustics speakers..and for new hifi people..go with what hifi recommendations..good advice! My dynaudios are superior to Q acoustics..and they sounded very boxy indeed compared to AEs...i thought all amps sound the same as absurd..but this? Is nonsense...

Just think about all the cash you could have saved :)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
davedotco said:

+1

I don't think anyone is saying that. If he buys speakers for upto £900, then what does he buy, does he buy for his Marantz 5004 which is low powered budget amp or does he get speakers to go with an amp he may buy in 1 or 2 years time? Your speakers with his amp probably won't be that good as he wants more bass I doubt he will get it, yours are bass light and need a powerful amp to get the best out of them.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:

indeed and that's why I recommended AVI DM5.. small, faithful, neutral £700 window to your music... for experienced listener.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
lpv said:
davedotco said:

indeed and that's why I recommended AVI DM5.. small, faithful, neutral £700 window to your music... for experienced listener.

Thats me out then.

K

keeper of the quays

Experienced listener? Ah ok..and you peddle cheap speakers are fine? I wonder what the inexperienced listeners say? My matsui music centre cd player as good as cyrus? Lol...

K

keeper of the quays

I use a powerful amp..but my speakers good with my t amp! All six watts..bass light? The walls shake! They are reference speakers..better the kit..better they sound..to my old ears anyway!

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
well i have a very good amp and while i was waiting for my dali opticon 8s to come i had to go back and use my old dali 3s and they sounded rubbish they sounded like 2 boxes but put them with a marantz pm6005 they sounded very good for their price small speakers to me sound like boxes not speakers but you get what you pay for with any speaker but if he buys a good amp to start with that would cope with any speaker in the future then 2 years down the road he would not be looking at a new amp he would be looking at speakers with a bit of hope . have you looked at the marantz pm8005 bargan at £599

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I use a powerful amp..but my speakers good with my t amp! All six watts..bass light? The walls shake! They are reference speakers..better the kit..better they sound..to my old ears anyway!

How much do you wind up that thing? *shok*

K

keeper of the quays

Vladimir said:

How much do you wind up that thing? *shok*
im the Popeye of the south coast! A nice zonophone and a can of spinach...and bottle of beer!

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:

im the Popeye of the south coast! A nice zonophone and a can of spinach...and bottle of beer!

that's what I thought

K

keeper of the quays

lpv said:
Vladimir said:

that's what I thought
lol.the beer is 'old speckled hen' its ok i suppose....much better before greene king took over..hey ho

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
lpv said:
Vladimir said:

that's what I thought
lol.the beer is 'old speckled hen' its ok i suppose....much better before greene king took over..hey ho

Old Speckled Hen... The legal equivalent of LSD...

K

keeper of the quays

Gazzip said:
lpv said:
Vladimir said:

that's what I thought

Old Speckled Hen... The legal equivalent of LSD...
be nice if ind coope long life came back..nice beer..or kestrel lager? Proper pilsner it was..saaz hops!
The LSD of drink is bison vodka the stuff with the bison grass in it! Its weird and tastes like a drug den...of course i have no idea what a drug den tastes of? But if it had a taste? It would be bison vodka!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts