Happy at last

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
wilro15 said:
I wish I had the time and skills to build something like this. Must be so rewarding to hear them knowing they are your own.

Yes to be honest that was one of the reasons I built them and it definately gives you a great feeling especially when they turn out to sound the way you were hoping and expecting them to.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
I also had to post these, the crossovers and driver quality looks superb. I may one day build these and add them to the iQ portfolio, they do look superb. Respect Coll by the way did you consider or hear the IPL, if so are these better?

I believe TG has a copyright on his designs so would not be happy about commercial manufacturing without his permissission.

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Good to see this. I'm in the process of doing the Illuminator Monitors which use a very similar driver arrangement but are obviously in a smaller box and rear ported. I am toying with the idea of replacing the soft dome tweeter for scanspeakers berilyium one though.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
JMac said:
Good to see this. I'm in the process of doing the Illuminator Monitors which use a very similar driver arrangement but are obviously in a smaller box and rear ported. I am toying with the idea of replacing the soft dome tweeter for scanspeakers berilyium one though.

Hi JMac pleased to hear of another builder you wont be dissapointed when it is finished I am sure.

I would run your idea past Troels before buying the tweeters he does not like the designs being changed too much as it usually means changes to the crossover, as he says any changes you make you are on your own

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, we've exchanged a few emails on the subject and although there is a performance increase, its probably not commensurate with the price increase.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
JMac said:
Yeah, we've exchanged a few emails on the subject and although there is a performance increase, its probably not commensurate with the price increase.

Be interested to hear what you think of the speakers and your final choice of hf unit when you have finished them.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Just made a mod to my speakers. I fitted a toggle switch and 2 more resistors in the hf section. Its a 3 way on on on switch with 3 different resistors so if I have a bright recording I can use a higher value resistor to improve the sound and vice versa

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Coll said:
Just made a mod to my speakers. I fitted a toggle switch and 2 more resistors in the hf section. Its a 3 way on on on switch with 3 different resistors so if I have a bright recording I can use a higher value resistor to improve the sound and vice versa

Of course if I change amps I can also adjust the speakers to suit although that is unlikely for sometime.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
You may wish to think of doing something like this on your speakers it makes them very versitile can be used to suit room or amp or listener peronal preference.

You could do this as an optional extra.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Coll said:
You may wish to think of doing something like this on your speakers it makes them very versitile can be used to suit room or amp or listener peronal preference.

You could do this as an optional extra.

If I may chip in, that sounds like a very worthwhile option on a speaker. I've seen it once, on some very nice Danish speakers (the brand escapes me...), and it worked very well there.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts