Hands up! Who likes Prog rock?

Who's brave enough to admit they like this music?

I was ploughing through the cds and came across a few that could be defined as Prog rock. Did I really slump that low?

With my brother being 12 years older than me and my sister 16 years, I was weened on a musical diet of the Kinks, Who, Small Faces, Motown, Otis, SKA...

I quite like the Glam rock era: Although serious musicians and performers, they were musical caricatures, with their silly face paint, glittery chops and strange hair. This was the polar opposite to the 'Proggers' who gave the impression of "We're serious stars..." So I suppose my musical tastes somewhat shielded me from such dross like Pink Floyd, Wishbone Ash, Free...

There's probably only a handful of 'Proggers' that came through the 70s - musically - unscathed: Thin Lizzy and Quo, to mention just a couple.

Mention Prog Rock and immediately I think Bob Harris and the 'Old Grey Whistle Test'.

I'm sure I'll make some feel really peeved, but I want to know whether I'm in a minority?

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Who's brave enough to admit they like this music?

I was ploughing through the cds and came across a few that could be defined as Prog rock. Did I really slump that low?

With my brother being 12 years older than me and my sister 16 years, I was weened on a musical diet of the Kinks, Who, Small Faces, Motown, Otis, SKA...

I quite like the Glam rock era: Although serious musicians and performers, they were musical caricatures, with their silly face paint, glittery chops and strange hair. This was the polar opposite to the 'Proggers' who gave the impression of "We're serious stars..." So I suppose my musical tastes somewhat shielded me from such dross like Pink Floyd, Wishbone Ash, Free...

There's probably only a handful of 'Proggers' that came through the 70s - musically - unscathed: Thin Lizzy and Quo, to mention just a couple.

Mention Prog Rock and immediately I think Bob Harris and the 'Old Grey Whistle Test'.

I'm sure I'll make some feel really peeved, but I want to know whether I'm in a minority?

Thin Lizzy, Quo and Free "Proggers"? . If anything characterises progressive rock, it is long, complex songs, I hardly think Rockin all over the world fits the bill. But to answer your original question, yes I like prog amongst other things. I also like Otis and the Kinks as well as Tom Waits, 10cc, Queen, John Coltrane and Stravinsky. I do not understand why musical taste should be treated like supporting football teams. As Ivor Teifenbrun said (approximately) there is merit in all types of music, apart from country obviously.

chelstondave

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I like prog which is getting slightly less socially unacceptable these days I feel so have taken my yes albums out of the cupboard and put them back with the rest. Definition is difficult as recent album "Essential Progressive Rock" included Status Quo which is clearly not right. Basically as an earlier poster said prog means having somewhere in your catalogue a track that usually lasts a whole album side, is divided into several sub-tracks and contains an overlong keyboard solo.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
"Slump that low"?

If writing complex and diverse tunes, and being able to play your instrument to an advanced level are wrong. I don't wanna be right.

I'm a fan, but more into prog metal than prog rock. With new albums by Dream Theater & Opeth out next month, it's looking like a great time for prog-ists. Long may it continue.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Yup. Love it! I have slumped the lowest around here I reckon :)

If Wishbone Ash is dross, then bring on more dross I say.

As a matter of interest, what Non-Dross do you groove to PP?

Ps: I've heard Status Quo referred to as many things in the past, but Prog is a first.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Next month ;

Dream Theater - a dramatic turn of events

Steven Wilson - grace for drowning

Opeth - heritage

September 2011 will be a great month :cheer:

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Who's brave enough?? Its only music and we each have our own tastes and preferences, if you believed you slumped low then that surely is a reflection of your nature and not generic for those who would gladly listen to the following to name but a few:

ELO

Rush

Genesis

Peter Gabriel

Pink FLoyd

The Moody Blues

Procul Harem

Porcupine tree

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
True Blue said:
Who's brave enough?? Its only music and we each have our own tastes and preferences, if you believed you slumped low then that surely is a reflection of your nature and not generic for those who would gladly listen to the following to name but a few:

ELO

Rush

Genesis

Peter Gabriel

Pink FLoyd

The Moody Blues

Procul Harem

Porcupine tree

TB, you have been peaking at my list. I also like stuff from Rick Wakeman and OMD......I'm too old to be embarrassed about my taste. :)

Trefor Patten

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
I used to love prog rock, Yes, Genesis, Crimson. But then I grew up and discovered e.s.t, Jan Garbarek, Eberhard Weber, Tomasz Stanko - same complexity, less pomposity, more brain. In short, music for people who can spell LOL.

Interestingly though, at the same time as I loved prog rock, I also listened a lot to Richard Thompson, June Tabor, Joni Mitchell, James Taylor, Bert Jansch, Pentangle and still do... make of that what you will. :rockout:

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
TB, you have been peaking at my list. I also like stuff from Rick Wakeman and OMD......I'm too old to be embarrassed about my taste. :)

Thanks, indeed I too like rick wakeman (journey to the centre of the earth - masterpiece) and when he was in Yes. OMD are on my list too.

I just have such a diverse musical taste that I actually dont care what anyone else thinks of me or it. Personally I think rather than judge, people should concentrate on their lives. I am never embarrassed about anything I do.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Cypher said:
Next month ;

Dream Theater - a dramatic turn of events

Steven Wilson - grace for drowning

Opeth - heritage

September 2011 will be a great month :cheer:

And with new Textures & Mastodon albums too, it's gonna be a loud month in the B.C household!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
True Blue said:
CnoEvil said:

Thanks, indeed I too like rick wakeman (journey to the centre of the earth - masterpiece) and when he was in Yes. OMD are on my list too.

I just have such a diverse musical taste that I actually dont care what anyone else thinks of me or it. Personally I think rather than judge, people should concentrate on their lives. I am never embarrassed about anything I do.

......Bananarama! :rofl: (not judging....honestly). Got any "Fun Boy Three". ;)

I suppose I can't really scoff, as I bought "Body Talk" by Imagination in the early 80s. If I hadn't sold my TT, I would probably be still playing it. :O

Do you have any other Rick Wakeman stuff?

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris said:
"Slump that low"?

If writing complex and diverse tunes, and being able to play your instrument to an advanced level are wrong. I don't wanna be right.

Well put Chris. Always felt there`s been a load of jumping on the back of the bandwagon through the years regarding ill feeling towards Prog. Often I suspect by people who do so because they don`t understand or haven`t taken the time to get to know it. Little exposure on the radio could be one of the causes.

Despite everything thrown at it Prog has not only survived but continues to flourish. Couldn`t even begin to list all the new bands who have sprung up in recent years.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
survivor said:
Always felt there`s been a load of jumping on the back of the bandwagon through the years regarding ill feeling towards Prog. Often I suspect by people who do so because they don`t understand or haven`t taken the time to get to know it.

I was up to my ears in other people's 'prog rock' music during the late 1970s. Everything from 'Illage to The _____y Enid! (And Gong. You haven't truly suffered until you've sat though 'Radio Gnome'!)

You suspect away as much as you like about 'bandwagons' and the (merciful) dearth of proggers on the radio, it is just possible there are people who actually don't like it.

Yes, no doubt they could play music very well. The LSO can play music very well too. It doesn't mean that I have to like Wagner (for instance) just because the LSO might play his work impeccably. There is no 'bandwagon' that makes me prefer Mozart to Wagner. It's not a posture. There is plenty of very well executed music that I still don't like no matter how highly skilled the performers.

PP brought the subject up and invited responses, for or against, and I just happen to be against. It's not a pose or a posture or 'jumping on the back of a bandwagon'. It is very simple. I don't like it. I like the 3 minute pop single (from almost any era) and I like Bebop jazz and Ska and Reggae and Funk and disco and lots of cheesy old nonsense pop from the 1970s.

You do like prog rock.

It's good that you and others do. (Someone should. It's part of our cultural history.) It's also good that I don't.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts