Half speed or full speed?

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I see John Martyn's Solid Air has been reissued on vinyl. You can get the regular 180gm version for regular money or for another 8 or 9 quid there's the half-speed remastered version. Has anyone compared the two? Is the half-speed version worth the extra money? Or does the difference only show on really posh kit?

6and8 said:
I see John Martyn's Solid Air has been reissued on vinyl. You can get the regular 180gm version for regular money or for another 8 or 9 quid there's the half-speed remastered version. Has anyone compared the two? Is the half-speed version worth the extra money? Or does the difference only show on really posh kit?

Not heard this particular album but my experience is, only if you've got the kit to exploit it, then a half-speed is the one to go for. With one caveat. It has to be decently remastered by a known expert. If you're unsure just buy the cheaper version, otherwise do your homework before parting with this much cash.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
My original copy is in decent condition and sounds great, but the the half-speed remaster sounds much better to my ears.

6and8 said:
Thx Al and Waxy. BTW, Waxy, have just checked out your TT online, if it sounds as good as it looks I want one!

With its choice of finishes and tonearms it's probably a better buy the the usual Rega alternatives. Just remember it's only really as good as the cartridge on the end of that tonearm. If paying this much for a turntable it's not a good idea to skimp on the cartridge. ;-)

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Nothing wrong with the LPT. But I sometimes wonder if I'm missing out on a higher level of sound when I see the kit some of you guys are using compared to my 'budget' set up. People describe bigger soundstages, deeper bass, more detail. I like what I hear from my system but I'm curious as to what else I could be hearing.

6and8 said:
Nothing wrong with the LPT. But I sometimes wonder if I'm missing out on a higher level of sound when I see the kit some of you guys are using compared to my 'budget' set up. People describe bigger soundstages, deeper bass, more detail. I like what I hear from my system but I'm curious as to what else I could be hearing.

The LPT was about £350 back in the 90's so hardly budget. You could try upgrading the arm on it or selling it on, without the cartridge, and upgrading to a more modern deck. Cannot guarantee stunning improvements but there should be some.

What's the rest of your kit?

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I put my system together over 20 years ago. The LPT and RB300 I bought new. The Linn LP12 was considered the dogs at the time but my funds just wouldn't stretch that far. I never could ring fence enough money for a top notch system, what with the kids forever needing shoes, Gameboys and Playstations, so the rest of the system was carefully cobbled together secondhand.

I've been slowly upgrading bit by bit.

The RB300 has had a full upgrade by Origin Live, the Nag MP200 is a recent addition.

Still using the Moth 30 phono stage (again, bought secondhand 20 years ago) but am considering upgrading.

The Pioneer A400 (lovely amp) has been replaced with an Arcam FMJ A19.

The Marantz CD 60 eventually died and has been replaced with an Audiolab CD 8200, chosen because I can use the DAC to stream via my MacBook Pro.

The speakers, bought secondhand about 25 years ago, are Musical Fidelity MC4s. Placed on Soundstyle stands partially filled with iron filings, they still sound OK, but plenty of room for improvement there. Especially as I have now moved my system from the living room, where it took up too much space, to a spare bedroom (3 x 4 sq m) which I use as my office / study / listening room. So I need speakers more suited to a smaller room, ones that will work well close to a rear wall.

I'm now better fixed to splash out and go the upgrade path, and am looking to put together a system that will bring even more pleasure for another 20 years.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
When I bought the deck, it arrived with a Nag MP-200 on the end of an Origin Live Alliance arm. It sounded superb. I just got a bit of upgrade-itis....

*crazy*

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Waxy said:
When I bought the deck, it arrived with a Nag MP-200 on the end of an Origin Live Alliance arm. It sounded superb. I just got a bit of upgrade-itis....

*crazy*

I took a peek at the TT1, and looks like a real solid piece of kit. It seems though that there's been quite a price increase? On one site (Divine Audio) they have it priced at £1500, yet in the reviews on the same site prices of around £799 are quoted?

Edit : It looks like the price increase is for an improved version of the TT1

'6and8'. Three for a quid. Ahh, the good old days *smile*

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
I took a peek at the TT1, and looks like a real solid piece of kit. It seems though that there's been quite a price increase? On one site (Divine Audio) they have it priced at £1500, yet in the reviews on the same site prices of around £799 are quoted?

Edit : It looks like the price increase is for an improved version of the TT1

I bought mine two years ago. I believe the feet, the bearing and the power supply have been upgraded since, and the plinth is thicker. One of those Divine Audio reviews is mine, by the way!

It is definitely a solid deck. If I rap the plinth with my knuckles, you cannot hear it through the speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts