Half-decent cheap turntables? And a mystery bonus player...

SyntheticBiscuits

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of retiring my stack system in favour of just a turntable and a CD player, since I don't listen to the radio or cassettes, and I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on a half-decent turntable for under £150? New or old doesnt matter. I'm currently looking at either a Pioneer PL-12D with a Rega cartridge, or an Audio Technica AT-727 "Sound Burger". I'm erring on the side of the Burger because it's likely to go for less than the Pioneer on the 'Bay and they have a pretty good rep as far as sound quality goes, but if anyone else has any other suggestions I'm all up for hearing them.

I also unearthed a Sound Burger clone on the 'Bay while I was looking, but I can't find any info about it online; not even a photo aside from the ones from the listing. It's called a Techni-Sky 380 and was built in Japan by a company called Technimarc, presumably at some point in the 1980s. It looks like a clunky version of the Audio Technica version, and has a built-in cassette player. It's in really good condition, but the guy selling it wants £185 including the original travel bag, and I thought that was a bit steep given how much of an unknown quantity it is, but if anyone on here has seen or heard one and can offer some advice on how it sounds that would be great.

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Question 1: do you already have a collection of records?

Q 2: you say you are thinking of retiring your stack system, so what will you be using as an amplifier?

Q 3: will you also need speakers or headphones?

Q 4: what's your total budget?

splasher said:
spiny norman said:
Good job there aren't any House Rules on this site...

Sorry. Which bit was against the rules? Asking about geography or saying I had something to sell?

Neither as far as I am aware. As long as you are not trying to trade on this forum, which isn't the case, unlike some that appear to push the boundaries.

Saying you are going to put something on eBay is perfectly fine.

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, I've re-read the rules a few times and I can't see an issue. I wasn't trying to benefit my own position - my experience of ebay is anything I put on there sells for more than I expected - I thought if the OP was local he might benefit from first refusal.

There are no 'half-decent' turntables new for that price so you'd have to go second hand, and thereby lies the rub, as they say, you will need one that includes a decent cartridge.

You will therefore need a fairly modern TT, this is going to be hard to find.

I have always said you cannot do decent vinyl on the cheap, and as previously asked,do you actually own any.?

There is a Rega RP1 / Carbon on eBay at the moment starting at £140 or a Project Debut 2 / OM5e for £125.

splasher said:
Thanks, I've re-read the rules a few times and I can't see an issue. I wasn't trying to benefit my own position - my experience of ebay is anything I put on there sells for more than I expected - I thought if the OP was local he might benefit from first refusal.

Nice thought. As long as you are not using this forum as a direct sale attempt you are fine, as far as I am aware. As I said some push the boundaries.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts